• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

why did God kill many people?

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
haha

It's only unhelpful when people don't recognize the difference between murder and other types of killing.
My point, rather obvious I thought, is that the commandment doesn't tell you. Saying, "Don't break the law," is not a helpful law.

As I said before, there are many types of killing - both in the ancient world and today - that are not murder.
But what it doesn't tell you, the one thing you need to know, is what is murder. O.K., we know killing Midianites is not murder, and killing women who give their husbands too much help when wrestling, and homosexuals, of course, and Sabbath breakers, and adulterers, and everyone on the land God has given us, etc, etc., but what is? He leaves that to us to figure out. Which makes no sense, because murder is killing that violates the law. And we're not supposed to be making up our own laws, we're supposed to be following God's laws, which they omit to fill us in on.

The unhelpful thing in this case is the translation "thou shalt not kill," when it is plainly "thou shalt not murder."
Fortunately no one pays any attention to that, though.

A

angellous_evangellous

My point, rather obvious I thought, is that the commandment doesn't tell you. Saying, "Don't break the law," is not a helpful law.

But what it doesn't tell you, the one thing you need to know, is what is murder. O.K., we know killing Midianites is not murder, and killing women who give their husbands too much help when wrestling, and homosexuals, of course, and Sabbath breakers, and adulterers, and everyone on the land God has given us, etc, etc., but what is? He leaves that to us to figure out. Which makes no sense, because murder is killing that violates the law. And we're not supposed to be making up our own laws, we're supposed to be following God's laws, which they omit to fill us in on.

Seems like your point doesn't have very much force at all, seeing that you can identify several forms of "legal" killing and juxtapose it to the commandment "thou shalt not murder."

Not so silent after all.

And the book is silent on the issue

in Gods commandments it says Thou Shalt Not Kill. then why in historie has God destroyed cities and killed many people. if God create humankind i n his image and if God is love then why does he kill people.

Because God suffers from multiple personality disorder.

.lava

Veteran Member
in Gods commandments it says Thou Shalt Not Kill. then why in historie has God destroyed cities and killed many people. if God create humankind i n his image and if God is love then why does he kill people.

because they were born.

idea

Question Everything
The Hebrew word for "murder" translated "thou shalt not kill" is never used for God's actions in the Hebrew Bible (Old Testament). The same is true for the ancient Greek translation, the LXX, or New Testament for that matter.

I agree - murder is very different than kill. I kill a plant when I eat a salad. Murder is different.

In any event, God does not kill, people kill themselves through their actions.

56 For the Son of man is not come to destroy men's lives, but to save them.
(New Testament | Luke 9:56)

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Since god invented this whole "life/death" thing to begin with... doesn't that mean gods going to kill us all?

So why the fuss when some people end up at the finish line early? I mean if he's going to snuff us all in the end anyway?

wa:do

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
Life is not fair. God does not answer to us, nor does he need to explain himself. If he did explain, many would not comprehend anyway. We are to serve God, not question him.

How arrogant to believe God should have to answer to mortals.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Seems like your point doesn't have very much force at all, seeing that you can identify several forms of "legal" killing and juxtapose it to the commandment "thou shalt not murder."

Not so silent after all.

As I said repeatedly, the Bible frequently tells us when to kill. What it doesn't tell us is when not to. Which is of course the thing you need to know.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
I agree - murder is very different than kill. I kill a plant when I eat a salad. Murder is different.

In any event, God does not kill, people kill themselves through their actions.

56 For the Son of man is not come to destroy men's lives, but to save them.
(New Testament | Luke9:56)

What is the difference, and how do you tell?

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
Life is not fair. God does not answer to us, nor does he need to explain himself. If he did explain, many would not comprehend anyway. We are to serve God, not question him.

How arrogant to say we are to serve god. I am not to serve anyone, let alone your god. If you wish to bend a knee to some god go ahead. I will keep questioning your god action.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Lets face it; if you or I were God the body count would be a lot higher.

McBell

Admiral Obvious

Yes, because arrogance is reserved for god.
Like murder and genocide, it is ok for God, bad for people.

Seems a bit to "do as I say, not as I do" for me.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
If we where any god(Christian or Pagan) it would be. So yeah I would agree. But then who could tell what we might do with such power.

I would make hypocrites burst into flames, because that way I figure either;

A). people would start practicing what they preach

or
B). people would stop preaching.

Edit: I would also make more lakes.

Last edited:

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
How can it be higher than the entire planet? I guess if you killed Noah's family as well? It could be 8 higher?

Not to mention the zillion or so (supposedly) descended from Noah and his kin.

Anyway there were only like a cpl hundred thousand people at the time of the flood.

I would probably do away with that many people every morning before breakfast just for annoying me.