• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

why do athiest insist they dont need any rules to live by ...when you see the state of mankind today

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
i mean atheist are always saying we don’t need someone to tell uis what is right and wrong and so on and on .......ummmm i beg to differ ig you look at the human race today , they are lost - children murdering and raping other children , people don’t respect anyone anymore and just the general breakdown of mankind .....i think they really need guidance and rules if you want to govern them .....what do you think of the state of mankind today …it seems clear mankind wants to self destructed
Atheists do have someone to tell them what is right and what is wrong, except that (like theists) it is not "God" who does this. It's our parents, caregivers and peers who teach us this.

Alien

I Fly Space.
Back atcha.

No, you asked how many wars were fought BY atheists. Do you see the difference?

In my inexpert opinion, few if any. They were fought for political reasons, and religion was a handy excuse/ motivator.

Now, with both those points firmly in mind: were I inclined to blame grand, lofty ideals for the actions of those who claim to adhere to them, I could say that the Cold War was a clash between atheism and religion, with atheism equally at fault.

Sadly, I can't say the same, so I'll spell it out for you: say what you mean.

wow. Okay I'll make it easy for you to understand my point then. Wars have been waged because of Religion. You can not deny this. People use religion as a reason to kill other people. But oddly enough, It's like the Spanish Inquisition never happened to you. Political or not the avenue used was and usually is Religion. To reiterate, humans have used religion to wage war on other humans who have conflicting Religious views, not just political. Atheism is not equally at fault.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
wow. Okay I'll make it easy for you to understand my point then. Wars have been waged because of Religion. You can not deny this. People use religion as a reason to kill other people. But oddly enough, It's like the Spanish Inquisition never happened to you. Political or not the avenue used was and usually is Religion. To reiterate, humans have used religion to wage war on other humans who have conflicting Religious views, not just political.
There is a world of difference between a handy motivator/ excuse, and a cause.

Atheism is not equally at fault.
You can't have your cake and eat it, too. IF clashes between civilizations are due to differences in worldview (a proposition I find ludicrous), then atheism was as much to blame for the Cold War as Christianity.

Now, once again, I don't think that's the case. I think it's stupid, in fact. But if YOU want to blame religion for its follower's mistakes, YOU must acknowledge that atheism has done no better.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
Neither religion nor a lack of theistic belief caused Rome to conquer the western world. Or the Huns to sack Rome, or Napoleon to invade other nations, or the Emperor of Japan to order the attack on Pearl Harbor, or Hitler to invade Poland.
Nor were the Crusades fought for purely religious motivations.

tarasan

i mean atheist are always saying we don’t need someone to tell uis what is right and wrong and so on and on .......ummmm i beg to differ ig you look at the human race today , they are lost - children murdering and raping other children , people don’t respect anyone anymore and just the general breakdown of mankind .....i think they really need guidance and rules if you want to govern them .....what do you think of the state of mankind today …it seems clear mankind wants to self destructed

what garbage is this?

Athiests believe that morality developed as a survival mechanism for our survival! there a who trains of thought in philopshy which show you to be poorly misguided.

41104153.jpg

logician

Atheists don't need freaked out religious whack jobs telling us what is right and wrong and so on and you are not a spokesman for atheists, bets are that you don't even know the secret hand shake.

I never could get that right.

no-body

Actually, no. That would be science, which is not the same thing at all.

Most of the great civilizations have been religious. That should come as no surprise, since most people are religious.

Well, yeah. I was thinking more like free-thought vs Christianity which is the vibe I'm getting from the OP.

FlyingTeaPot

Irrational Rationalist. Educated Fool.
I think its time we let truthseeker respond to some of the 60-odd posts he got in reply.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
what garbage is this?

Athiests believe that morality developed as a survival mechanism for our survival! there a who trains of thought in philopshy which show you to be poorly misguided.

Various atheists believe a wide variety of things.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Now, once again, I don't think that's the case. I think it's stupid, in fact. But if YOU want to blame religion for its follower's mistakes, YOU must acknowledge that atheism has done no better.

It's such an oversimplification that it barely has any meaning... but still, I have a hard time conceiving of "atheism followers" in any way.

-----

About the title of the thread, well, it is simply not true. I suggest reading something by Peter Singer sometime.

Last edited:

mho123

Atheist
I myself (as an atheist ) agree mankind is in a terrible state ,, but reasoning that it is caused by atheism is wrong ,,
most of the problems in this world (conflicts wars) are cause directly or indirectly beacuse of religion ,, in fact if i would choose the single most harmfull thing in the human histroy i would choose religion ,, even at this very moment while we are chatting here people are being killed tortured torn into pieces, left homeless loose their family loved ones ,, because of religion and conflicts caused by religion
the discussion about having religion to tell you what is right and what is wrong is in itself based on the fact that you DONT know,, you CANT judge what is right and what is wrong ,,
well if thats the case that you cant judge what is wrong and what is right ,, and you need religion to tell you that ,, ,,,,well then go ahead and believe ,,,,:)

Wotan

"But if YOU want to blame religion for its follower's mistakes, YOU must acknowledge that atheism has done no better."

But they are NOT mistakes. Wars and persecution of non-believers (however defined) arise directly from the teaching of the "faith." (Or at least any "faith" that matters.) The reason xantanity and Islam are mentioned so often is because they BOTH advocate and encourage aggressive conversion and a rigid moral code enforced as public law.

dogsgod

There is a world of difference between a handy motivator/ excuse, and a cause.

You can't have your cake and eat it, too. IF clashes between civilizations are due to differences in worldview (a proposition I find ludicrous), then atheism was as much to blame for the Cold War as Christianity.

Blaming religious followers is one thing, but when it comes to atheists, atheists aren't followers. You can't herd cats, and you can't herd atheists because atheists think for themselves. Atheists don't share common beliefs with other atheists. Atheism means without theism, that's all. So good luck blaming a non entity such as atheism on anything. All you're trying to do is take the blame away from religion and trying to blame it on individuals that otherwise have nothing in common with one other.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Blaming religious followers is one thing, but when it comes to atheists, atheists aren't followers. You can't herd cats, and you can't herd atheists because atheists think for themselves. Atheists don't share common beliefs with other atheists. Atheism means without theism, that's all. So good luck blaming a non entity such as atheism on anything. All you're trying to do is take the blame away from religion and trying to blame it on individuals that otherwise have nothing in common with one other.

Oh, which class of leaders should we all beware?
To blame just the atheists is quite unfair.
Mao & Pol Pot
& Hitler a lot.
The answer is clear now - it's those with black hair!

Last edited:

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Way to miss the point.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Nice try.
I've said, again and again, I don't believe worldviews are to blame. So, from my perspective, there's no blame to shift.

The point is, if you disagree and want to blame them, you have to be consitent.