• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do Athiests challenge Thiests?

Thana

Lady
The relevant statement in that is the part where you pointed out that the thing they have in common is Christ. This makes them all Christian.

I can't tell what this is supposed to mean.

Not at all. :shrug:

Mmkay, If you like, I'll just go and say I'm not changing my mind, Sorry.
It helps me catergorize the different faiths, And I don't mind if you think I'm a fool for it, Because you most likely think me a fool for being thiest anyway.

(Also, Truthfully, I harbor an irrational dislike of Catholicism) :cover:

outhouse

Atheistically
Because if you knew all the things that a Thiest knew, You wouldn't be Athiest because You'd know there is a God.

And on the flip side of the coin.

My opinion is that most atheist are better educated then theist about religion because they don't have any bias.

If you had a education on these subjects you might realize how little you actually really know about the reality of the god concept.

I see how Israelites polytheistic family of deities were used and defined by men, and later compiled into one deity as different text were edited due to a political reform that didn't match the needs or wants of the people.

I see how biblical text ended up creating a false history for a conquered people who desperately needed a identity.

I see the mythology they used from previous cultures to create their own, and then I see how this mythology grew in time and evolved.

And after all that I see the most epic compilation of theology ever written and the beauty from within, due to the light of truth and knowledge I have found in my studies.

One doesn't have to be a theist to see and understand beauty and theology.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Mmkay, If you like, I'll just go and say I'm not changing my mind, Sorry.
It helps me catergorize the different faiths, And I don't mind if you think I'm a fool for it, Because you most likely think me a fool for being thiest anyway.
You're not the first Christian I've met who's decided to re-define terms: "Catholics aren't Christian"... "Christianity isn't a religion; it's a 'relationship'"... etc., etc. I don't think you're a fool for doing it, but I do think it's self-serving and inaccurate.

(Also, Truthfully, I harbor an irrational dislike of Catholicism) :cover:
I harbour an irrational dislike of bananas, but it doesn't lead me to run around telling people that bananas aren't fruit.

Thana

Lady
You're not the first Christian I've met who's decided to re-define terms: "Catholics aren't Christian"... "Christianity isn't a religion; it's a 'relationship'"... etc., etc. I don't think you're a fool for doing it, but I do think it's self-serving and inaccurate.

I harbour an irrational dislike of bananas, but it doesn't lead me to run around telling people that bananas aren't fruit.

That's a bad analogy.

I didn't say Catholicism wasn't a religion,
I said Catholic's are not Christians.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Catholics are not Christians.
If you want to get technical, They're a branch of Christianity.
But they are not Christians, They're Catholics.

If they are Christians, Then by that logic I'm also Catholic.

No.

Christianity is an umbrella religion, encompassing many denominations, many of which have their own sub-denominations. These denominations rarely overlap.

All Catholics are Christian; not all Christians are Catholic.

Riverwolf

Premium Member
If education is coming to know the truth, then yes, theists are uneducated with respect to the existence of God- else they wouldn't be theists in the first place. :D

The collective knowledge of mankind does not include God/Gods, that is true.

But that doesn't not automatically mean there are no Gods. Besides, it depends on how you define "God." By the definition that a God is something that has been deified, then there are plenty of Gods. Caesar was a God, the Pharaohs were Gods, the Mikado were Gods, Amma is a Goddess...

outhouse

Atheistically
The collective knowledge of mankind does not include God/Gods, that is true.

But that doesn't not automatically mean there are no Gods. Besides, it depends on how you define "God." By the definition that a God is something that has been deified, then there are plenty of Gods. Caesar was a God, the Pharaohs were Gods, the Mikado were Gods, Amma is a Goddess...

Bingo!

And that's hard pill to swallow for some.

Riverwolf

Premium Member
Bingo!

And that's hard pill to swallow for some.

I attribute it to the fact that the word "God" has SO many different definitions and connotations, based on its somewhat foggy etymology and free usage by religions and groups that define it completely differently than each other, that talking about God becomes very, very troublesome.

Heck, the word might be related to the word Goðan, which was a name for Odin in a tribe that lived in Gaul. (...oh, for those unfamiliar with the letter, "ð" is a soft "th" sound like in "the" or "this", but not as in "myth" or "thing").

outhouse

Atheistically
I attribute it to the fact that the word "God" has SO many different definitions and connotations, based on its somewhat foggy etymology and free usage by religions and groups that define it completely differently than each other, that talking about God becomes very, very troublesome.

Heck, the word might be related to the word Goðan, which was a name for Odin in a tribe that lived in Gaul. (...oh, for those unfamiliar with the letter, "ð" is a soft "th" sound like in "the" or "this", but not as in "myth" or "thing").

When you wrote it I had images of Augustus being called the "son of god" before Jesus was even born.

How Constantine helped to define Jesus divinity.

How living Emperors were divine.

Divinity to us, and to those in the past are two different things. More then anything I would love to know how these ancient people took these writings in context. All I can guess is that it is much like now, and that there were many different views. Sadly its only partially right.

Their lives were steeped in mythology, the things they believed in were really really bizarre to say the least once you learn the real cultural anthropology.

Riverwolf

Premium Member
When you wrote it I had images of Augustus being called the "son of god" before Jesus was even born.

How Constantine helped to define Jesus divinity.

How living Emperors were divine.

Divinity to us, and to those in the past are two different things. More then anything I would love to know how these ancient people took these writings in context. All I can guess is that it is much like now, and that there were many different views. Sadly its only partially right.

Their lives were steeped in mythology, the things they believed in were really really bizarre to say the least once you learn the real cultural anthropology.

Indeed.

Something I've observed in modern culture is our seeming eagerness to come up with monsters. Even now we have the Slender Man, the Rake, etc., and while they're known to be fiction (at least by the people who know where they originated), the urge to suspend our disbelief and believe them to be real while watching the various vlogs that depict them make me wonder if that attitude, but more serious, is closer to how people regarded mythology and the world around them in the old times?

After all, if I were the child of a bronze-age farmer in the middle of a thunderstorm and didn't know what was going on, while all things were completely black, the strong, cold winds are howling, and the freezing rain keeps coming and going, and when it comes, it hits HARD and FAST, and THEN on top of all that, there's these bright flashes in the sky that for a brief moment light up the silhouettes of the surrounding countryside, forests, mountains, or whatever, in a very unfamiliar way, and they're accompanied by these awesomely loud BOOOOOOMs, well... my mind steeped in primal dread is almost certainly going to see monsters during those brief flashes of light. My only hope, then, would be that there's some other being fighting them off who might protect me.

Enai de a lukal

But you can say the same about Athiests, They're uneducated with the respect to the existence of God, Else they wouldn't be Athiests.
You could say that, but it would be silly. I suppose it would make for a good joke, though.

No, My point is that there is a difference.
There is indeed a difference; Catholics are to Christians what Germans are to Europeans, or labradors to dogs- Catholics are a subset of Christians, just as Protestants, or any those who belong to any other denomination of Christianity.

They're different religions and the only thing they have in common is Christ.
Most of everything else is different.
Sure. That's why there's different denominations within the same religion- because they disagree about stuff.

So a Christian isn't a Protestant
Well, a Christian isn't necessarily a Protestant (they could be a Catholic, for instance), but they could be- Protestants are Christians too. Like Catholics.

...Else why would we give them a denomination?
See above.

Do you atleast see what I'm trying to say people?
Sure, that not all Christians agree- that's why there's different types of Christians. Duh.