• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do Athiests challenge Thiests?

Slapstick

All right... what led you to the conclusion that Catholics aren't Christian?
I know some Catholics. If you mention the word Christian in front of them they will just ask: What the hell is a Christian supposed to be? Catholics don’t go around trying to proselytize people like Christians do. They tend to think faith or religion is a personal choice and they do not believe in pushing their beliefs onto other people. To tell you the truth, Catholics don’t like any other branch of religion if it isn’t Catholicism. They would probably be insulted if you called them Christians or anything else besides a Catholic.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Very few Christians do not believe in the Trinity, the only 3 groups I can think of are the Mormons (who I guess you wouldn't consider mormons, the Jehovah Witness [Which i'm starting to think is the category you fall into], and the Unitarians.
Also some Pentecostal groups. And generally speaking, Quakers have enough doctrinal flexibility that individual Quakers wouldn't necessarily have to be trinitarian.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Or are Eastern Orthodox Christianity, Ethiopian Christianity, Coptic Christianity, Gnostic Christianity, Anglican Christianity, etc. not Christians, either?

Riverwolf

Premium Member
A Protestant is a Christian.

A Christian is someone who reveres Christ. Protestantism is a collection of otherwise unrelated churches that fit this bill, but doesn't consist of the only churches that fit that bill.

hexler

As a atheist who generally knows more then most theist, if you needed help understanding your own religion and how it evolved and how the dogma changes with time, I would offer my services.

So the question begs, do you really know everything there is to know about your religion?
Blind people cannot tell about color.

Riverwolf

Premium Member
Blind people cannot tell about color.

The nonreligious aren't necessarily blind to religious experience.

They simply interpret the experience differently.

Is it RED, or BLOOD?

Last edited:

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
Mmm, not essentially.
My God (The Christian God) is pretty much the same God in a lot of faiths.
(Judaism, Muslim, Catholicism etc)

And I've brushed up a fair bit on the others, And decided that they were not for me.

However, the other religions who have different God/s I have not even begun to look at them, So I suppose it's a lack of education about them that keeps me from them.

But no, I don't dismiss other Gods, In fact, I prefer to think we all worship the same God, Just in different ways and with different names.
(This is a personal thought, Not really shared with other religions/Christians)
Since you've "brushed up" on Judaism, what are the differences between what God told the Jews compared to what he told Christians?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

I'm sorry if you don't like sharing a label with them, but they are Christian denominations.

If it makes you feel better, you can continue to believe that your particular denomination of Christianity is right and all the other Christian denominations are wrong.

Thana

Lady
I'm sorry if you don't like sharing a label with them, but they are Christian denominations.

If it makes you feel better, you can continue to believe that your particular denomination of Christianity is right and all the other Christian denominations are wrong.

Who said I thought they were wrong?
I don't remember saying that, But keep going with more assumptions if you like.