• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do Athiests challenge Thiests?

outhouse

Atheistically
Not to mention that the very fact that belief in God causes such divisive feelings is in and of itself a very strong evidence that God does not exist except as a human concept.

Imagination is a great tool. Ancient men had figured this out long before writing.

I think what were seeing with these biblical text is the positive side of the coin. They used this stool for morals and guidance to live better lives.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Being Christian is more than just reading and knowing the bible,
It's about having a personal relationship with God.
The term "Christian" denotes a person who professes that Jesus is Christ. Catholics do this, therefore they're Christian.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Catholicism and Christianity are two extremely different religions,
Yes of course I understand it, I wouldn't say anything if I was not informed.

If God does not care to inspire a better understanding, either of himself or between his followers, than I can only assume that it is not a big issue for him.

And if God himself does not care whether people have a good understanding of him, why should anyone?

Thana

Lady
If you say so. How would you even know whether I don't have a more personal "live and let live (and disbelieve)" relationship with God than you?

And God needs his reputation to be protected from the sincere mistakes of the very followers that are guided by his word?

Is that what you are in fact saying? I don't think that can quite work.

No. That's not what I'm saying.
I was just asking you, that if you truly want to dismiss God, Then you should do it by making an informed decision, And to do that you need more than 'I don't believe in God because Christians are jerks or I don't see any proof'

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Catholicism and Christianity are two extremely different religions,
Yes of course I understand it, I wouldn't say anything if I was not informed.

Catholics revere Christ. Therefore, they are Christian.

Enai de a lukal

So my question is: Why do some non-religious people challenge the beliefs of those who are religious?

What do you gain from it?
What is there to gain from 'taking' someone's faith from them?
Is that not immoral to you?

I'm genuinley curious.
I'd imagine the motivations are largely similar to your motivations for challenging their beliefs; for their benefit, ultimately. I think most people would agree that we want our beliefs to be true- and given that all atheism is is the belief that theism is false, we think that helping people see theism as it is, false and incoherent, benefits them. Also-

(Also, I'd rather not have the fact that it's because religious people killed others who weren't of the same faith, Wars that were caused by religion because
Most religion teaches you not to kill, So if you go against that, Then you'd kill for greed, lust, politics etc regardless of your faith.)

You may not like it, but the history of religion is, in part, a history of violence, oppression, and manipulation. Moreover, the teachings of many religions are pernicious- take Catholicism for example, in which one is taught all about sin and hell, and is basically taught to feel guilt and fear over things that likely aren't true, and one has little control over anyways. And, in general, religion (and Christianity in particular) is fundamentally preoccupied with another realm, another reality- it is "otherworldly". And this preoccupation with some other life implicitly devalues this one. In other words, religion is damaging.

When one combines the evils of religion with the fact that what few benefits religion does offer can be had elsewhere- art, literature, social activities, etc.- religion just looks entirely dispensable. Once again, atheism would lead to an improvement of people's lives in these respects (and dispensing with religion entirely would be a huge step for mankind); this is what most atheists believe, and is largely the reason why we challenge the beliefs of others. That, and the fact that we all benefit from critical discussion-

"That one would go through fire for one's teaching- what does that prove! It is truly more when one's teaching comes from one's own burning"
-Thus Spoke Zarathustra

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
No. That's not what I'm saying.
I was just asking you, that if you truly want to dismiss God, Then you should do it by making an informed decision,

Trust me, I am quite informed. I probably know more about Christianity than you do.

And to do that you need more than 'I don't believe in God because Christians are jerks or I don't see any proof'

Actually I don't. I do need more than that do deal with Christians, though.

It is a shore, truth be told. And so pointless from a religious perspective. But it is not like I have a choice.

Thana

Lady
I'm not sure if I should give you a crash course on the history of Christianity or if I should just let your current knowledge stay as it is.

Are you Christian or Catholic?
If so, Then that's your view.

If not,
Why do you think you can tell me more about my own religion?

outhouse

Atheistically

As a atheist who generally knows more then most theist, if you needed help understanding your own religion and how it evolved and how the dogma changes with time, I would offer my services.

So the question begs, do you really know everything there is to know about your religion?

FranklinMichaelV.3

If not,

Umm...I would not need to be Christian to be able to tell you that Catholicism is a denomination/sect of Christianity, that idea is commonly perpetrated by very very far leaning protestants who don't realize that their particular religious upbringings are at best around 300 or so years old...

Thana

Lady
All right... what led you to the conclusion that Catholics aren't Christian?

Catholics gain their salvation from their pope and their priests,
Christians gain their salvation from God/Jesus.

Catholics believe and pray to the saints, Christians don't.

Catholics have mass, Christians don't.

Catholics believe in the trinity, Not all Christians do.

Catholics follow their pope, And believe the pope is a messanger of God.
Christians do not.

There are many more examples of the extreme differences between the two religions.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

If not,

Do you think that just because a person practices a religion, they're knowledgeable about its history?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

Christians do not.

There are many more examples of the extreme differences between the two religions.
Replace the word "Christians" in that with "Protestants" and you'd be right.

Thana

Lady
As a atheist who generally knows more then most theist, if you needed help understanding your own religion and how it evolved and how the dogma changes with time, I would offer my services.

So the question begs, do you really know everything there is to know about your religion?

If you really knew more than a Thiest, You wouldn't be Athiest.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member

Christians do not.

Catholics believe their salvation is through faith in God/Jesus. They pray to God/Jesus.

They're Christians.

The distinction you're talking about is Catholicism vs. Protestantism.

FranklinMichaelV.3

Christians do not.

Lol...oh boy.

Protestants do not, not Christians, Protestants...and even then I'm not sure all protestants follow what you listed to a T. Very few Christians do not believe in the Trinity, the only 3 groups I can think of are the Mormons (who I guess you wouldn't consider mormons christians), the Jehovah Witness [Which i'm starting to think is the category you fall into], and the Unitarians.

So I'm guessing that you do not believe in the same God the Jews believe in then, it's a different God?

Last edited: