• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do Athiests challenge Thiests?

Thana

Lady
A variation of Pascal's Wager then?

Do you think God would (or should) respect the pretense of faith out of fear?

And do you think such a God that would is worth the trouble in the first place?

If God is that vain, silly or simply defective, then why should I bother with him at all?

Ah interesting observation.

No, One should not come to God out of fear

But is that any reason to dismiss God, Because you don't think he's worth the trouble?

Because God is the opposite of all those things, And you can't judge God or Chrisitanity from your experience with Christians, If you're going to decide against Him, You should decide from your own personal experience with Him, With the bible and with yourself.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
So you see religion as a threat to society?
Why?
What made you come to this conclusion?

Perhaps not religion as such, but there is real cause for concern when one notices how easily and how powerfully it can be - and indeed often is - abused and misused.

Society - any society - must watch for and defend itself against such abuse. As a matter of fact, so should religion itself.

Much of my criticism of theistic religion is directed not so much against belief as against dogmaticism and the lack of adequate internal self-correction mechanisms in many faiths.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

But is that any reason to dismiss God, Because you don't think he's worth the trouble?
Isn't that precisely what you do for all the gods you don't believe in?

hexler

So you see religion as a threat to society?
Why?
What made you come to this conclusion?

The problem is, some people mix religion with confession. A confession does not need to be a religion. F.e. I can confess, I am a communist. Many people never experienced RELIGION. They just experience hypocrisy. They believe the bad deeds of some believers is the result of their confession. When you see sinful deeds you can bet it is the result of a superficial life. Those people who life a real religious life have life full of sacrifices. Very seldom seen!

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
The problem is, some people mix religion with confession. A confession does not need to be a religion. F.e. I can confess, I am a communist. Many people never experienced RELIGION. They just experience hypocrisy. They believe the bad deeds of some believers is the result of their confession. When you see sinful deeds you can bet it is the result of a superficial life. Those people who life a real religious life have life full of sacrifices. Very seldom seen!

And no true Scotsman puts sugar on his porridge.

Thana

Lady
Isn't that precisely what you do for all the gods you don't believe in?

Mmm, not essentially.
My God (The Christian God) is pretty much the same God in a lot of faiths.
(Judaism, Muslim, Catholicism etc)

And I've brushed up a fair bit on the others, And decided that they were not for me.

However, the other religions who have different God/s I have not even begun to look at them, So I suppose it's a lack of education about them that keeps me from them.

But no, I don't dismiss other Gods, In fact, I prefer to think we all worship the same God, Just in different ways and with different names.
(This is a personal thought, Not really shared with other religions/Christians)

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Mmm, not essentially.
My God (The Christian God) is pretty much the same God in a lot of faiths.
(Judaism, Muslim, Catholicism etc)
Catholicism is a type of Christianity... and I doubt the average Jew or Muslim would consider a trinitarian version of God to be "pretty much the same God" as the one they worship.

And I've brushed up a fair bit on the others, And decided that they were not for me.

However, the other religions who have different God/s I have not even begun to look at them, So I suppose it's a lack of education about them that keeps me from them.
Lack of education... because you can't be bothered?

But no, I don't dismiss other Gods, In fact, I prefer to think we all worship the same God, Just in different ways and with different names.
(This is a personal thought, Not really shared with other religions/Christians)

I've heard other people express a similar sentiment and it always struck me as incredibly chauvinistic... like you're trying to co-opt other religions as lesser versions of Christianity. It reminds me of a line from Full Metal Jacket:

We are here to help the Vietnamese, because inside every g*** there is an American trying to get out.

Thana

Lady
Catholicism is a type of Christianity... and I doubt the average Jew or Muslim would consider a trinitarian version of God to be "pretty much the same God" as the one they worship.

Lack of education... because you can't be bothered?

I've heard other people express a similar sentiment and it always struck me as incredibly chauvinistic... like you're trying to co-opt other religions as lesser versions of Christianity. It reminds me of a line from Full Metal Jacket:

Not because I can't be bothered, But because I already know my God is real.

It's not like that, Atleast I don't see it like that.
Of course I see my God as the only God, And I suppose you're right in a sense, Believing that others have mistakenly labeled there God, But I meant it in the way that their love is not misplaced. I suppose that's mainly what I'm trying to convey.

Also, Comparing Christians and Catholics can be offensive and it's inaccurate to say that they're in the same boat.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

Of course. Why would it not be?

Did you expect me to trust someone else's judgement on this so very personal matter? :confused:

Because God is the opposite of all those things,

Is he? How would you know? Plenty of people who claim to believe in his existence seem to have failed to notice that.

And you can't judge God or Chrisitanity from your experience with Christians,

Isn't it only fair to judge a group from my experience with its members, and their concepts by what I actually see resulting from them?

And isn't that if anything particularly true of a concept that says that the Maker of Existence Itself cares whether I believe in His existence or not?

Because if it is so, then it must follow that he does not want me to believe in him. Or at the very least, that he does not care whether I do.

Do you purport to know better than him?

If you're going to decide against Him, You should decide from your own personal experience with Him, With the bible and with yourself.

In that case, I have no reason at all to care about him, even as a concept.

Except that I must still deal with all this social pressure and those multitudes of people who insist in using the concept, often despite themselves.

FranklinMichaelV.3

Of course I see my God as the only God, And I suppose you're right in a sense, Believing that others have mistakenly labeled there God, But I meant it in the way that their love is not misplaced. I suppose that's mainly what I'm trying to convey.

Also, Comparing Christians and Catholics can be offensive and it's inaccurate to say that they're in the same boat.

LOL Wat??

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
You "know" this while also recognizing that billions of people sincerely believe in their gods despite being wrong to varying degrees?

I realize that it probably wasn't the sentiment you were trying to communicate, but I think it's implied by what you're saying.

Protestants and Catholics have different beliefs, yes, but they're still both Christian. If this is offensive to you, too bad... it's probably not productive to get offended at simple facts.

Believe that Catholics are heretics if you want, but heretical Christian denominations are still Christian denominations.

Thana

Lady
Of course. Why would it not be?

Did you expect me to trust someone else's judgement on this so very personal matter? :confused:

Is he? How would you know? Plenty of people who claim to believe in his existence seem to have failed to notice that.

Isn't it only fair to judge a group from my experience with its members, and their concepts by what I actually see resulting from them?

And isn't that if anything particularly true of a concept that says that the Maker of Existence Itself cares whether I believe in His existence or not?

Because if it is so, then it must follow that he does not want me to believe in him. Or at the very least, that he does not care whether I do.

Do you purport to know better than him?

In that case, I have no reason at all to care about him, even as a concept.

Except that I must still deal with all this social pressure and those multitudes of people who insist in using the concept, often despite themselves.

Being Christian is more than just reading and knowing the bible,
It's about having a personal relationship with God.

No, It's not fair to judge God by your experience with Christians.
Because Christians are just people, And people are imperfect.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Believe that Catholics are heretics if you want, but heretical Christian denominations are still Christian denominations.

Not to mention that the very fact that belief in God causes such divisive feelings is in and of itself a very strong evidence that God does not exist except as a human concept.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Being Christian is more than just reading and knowing the bible,
It's about having a personal relationship with God.

If you say so. How would you even know whether I don't have a more personal "live and let live (and disbelieve)" relationship with God than you?

No, It's not fair to judge God by your experience with Christians.
Because Christians are just people, And people are imperfect.

And God needs his reputation to be protected from the sincere mistakes of the very followers that are guided by his word?

Is that what you are in fact saying? I don't think that can quite work.