• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do Athiests challenge Thiests?

Thana

Lady
On what basis do you say this?

The "Fear of the Lord"?

But in summary I'll quote a bit of it -

Yet Sacred Scripture elsewhere mentions "fear of the Lord" as something virtuous, one of the seven gifts of the Holy Spirit. So what is this "holy fear"? In the Old Testament, the Hebrew word used for this fear is yirah, which denotes piety and reverence rather than abject terror. This is why some modern translations say "revere the Lord" rather than "fear the Lord".

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
So you'll apologize for your grammar but not for blantantly insulting my God?

Also, I cannot agree with what you believe, Because it goes against my beliefs.
That's not an insult, And shouldn't be taken as one because I cannot help it and you shouldn't expect me to.

You don't believe what I believe, But that doesn't mean you should call my God vile. Especially since you know that is an offensive statement and doesn't need to be said. You could have instead just said "I don't agree with that" but you chose to be insulting.

Also, When have I ever, Ever said God is going to condemn you or anyone else. I do not speak for God and would never say that.
You have mention the concpet several times in the thread. Even just a few posts up. Maybe I could have said , no I wouldn't want to worship such a god but that would be the whole answer or truth let alone explain any thing. And again it is only in regards to one concept of god. If you do think god condemsn then I don't think your god is vile and the enemy of man. Of course none of this has anything todo with why I don't. Believe only why I would not worship god if I did. And I have also apoligized to you for being rude and agressive but I am not going to apoligize for explaining how I feel about something, espicaly if I feel it is warrented.

Thana

Lady
You have mention the concpet several times in the thread. Even just a few posts up. Maybe I could have said , no I wouldn't want to worship such a god but that would be the whole answer or truth let alone explain any thing. And again it is only in regards to one concept of god. If you do think god condemsn then I don't think your god is vile and the enemy of man. Of course none of this has anything todo with why I don't. Believe only why I would not worship god if I did. And I have also apoligized to you for being rude and agressive but I am not going to apoligize for explaining how I feel about something, espicaly if I feel it is warrented.

Yes, I mentioned it but I never used it against anyone or claimed God condemned anyone, But used it as an example of his power. Please read carefully next time before you accuse people of things.

Iti oj

Premium Member
Yes, I mentioned it but I never used it against anyone or claimed God condemned anyone, But used it as an example of his power. Please read carefully next time before you accuse people of things.
Then as I said, if you do not think god condemns me or anyone else, then what i said has no relation to your god concept. For example I do not veiw the Mormon concept of god that way.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
The "Fear of the Lord"?

Yet Sacred Scripture elsewhere mentions "fear of the Lord" as something virtuous, one of the seven gifts of the Holy Spirit. So what is this "holy fear"? In the Old Testament, the Hebrew word used for this fear is yirah, which denotes piety and reverence rather than abject terror. This is why some modern translations say "revere the Lord" rather than "fear the Lord".

In other words, it fits perfectly what Riverwolf said.

Iti oj

Premium Member
The "Fear of the Lord"?

This is interesting I have been in or lurked various discussions about worship in a similar way, that it denotes respect and acknowledgement not who sale.

Iti oj

Premium Member
Then if this is the case considering if i did believe in god why not worship him, I would see no reason too and would continue to focus on more important things like my humanistic interests and charity work.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
Er.. No?
I'm not sure how you took that away from what I quoted?

I am not sure you understood what Riverwolf said then.

What did you comprehend by:

'The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear.
And the oldest and strongest kind of fear
Is fear of the unknown.'

?

Iti oj

Premium Member
also what about the fear of god and the fear of gods absence. two very different things. I do love my gf I do not fear her but I fear her absences.

Thana

Lady
I am not sure you understood what Riverwolf said then.

What did you comprehend by:

'The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear.
And the oldest and strongest kind of fear
Is fear of the unknown.'

?

Fear, As being afraid, scared, terrified.

Fear of the unknown, Being afraid, scared, terrified of the unknown.

I don't know how I could have misinterpreted that?

Koldo

Outstanding Member
Fear, As being afraid, scared, terrified.

Fear of the unknown, Being afraid, scared, terrified of the unknown.

I don't know how I could have misinterpreted that?

Depending on the circumstances this fear might also take the same form of reverence and awe that applies to the god you believe in.
For some reason....... ;)

Thana

Lady
Depending on the circumstances this fear might also take the same form of reverence and awe that applies to the god you believe in.
For some reason....... ;)

Not really,
Fear in that context simply means fear.

Fear of God means something else.
Because of the translations, Fear was what came close in the English language.

But I suppose if you want to look at it that way,
Then yeah?
But I doubt he meant it that way.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
Not really,
Fear in that context simply means fear.

Fear of God means something else.
Because of the translations, Fear was what came close in the English language.

But I suppose if you want to look at it that way,
Then yeah?
But I doubt he meant it that way.

Do you recognize where that quote came from?

H.P.Lovecraft - Supernatural Horror in Literature

I will add another quote from the same source:

"When to this sense of fear and evil the inevitable fascination of wonder and curiosity is superadded, there is born a composite body of keen emotion and imaginative provocation whose vitality must of necessity endure as long as the human race itself."

Thana

Lady
Do you recognize where that quote came from?

H.P.Lovecraft - Supernatural Horror in Literature

I will add another quote from the same source:

"When to this sense of fear and evil the inevitable fascination of wonder and curiosity is superadded, there is born a composite body of keen emotion and imaginative provocation whose vitality must of necessity endure as long as the human race itself."

Uh no, Sorry I generally tend to avoid anything involving horror these days.

I don't really know what you want me to say to that?

AmbiguousGuy

And yes, Shouldn't you respect and revere Him when he has such awesome power?

Oh, no. I could never even believe in a God like that, much less respect and revere Him. I prefer a God who makes sense to me.

Shouldn't you respect and revere Him, When he has the ability to condemn you, Yet he raises you up, Blesses you, Forgives you and loves you?

God neither condemns nor forgives me. That's your own theology, not mine.

NobodyYouKnow

Misanthropist
A lot of my Athiest friends challenge my beliefs, And it got me wondering, Why?

I challenge an Athiests beliefs because I want to show them the love of God, To help save their immortal soul, And because I believe one can live a better life with Religion
(I base this on the fact that most morals conincide with the teachings of the Bible)

So my question is: Why do some non-religious people challenge the beliefs of those who are religious?

What do you gain from it?
What is there to gain from 'taking' someone's faith from them?
Is that not immoral to you?

I'm genuinley curious.

(Also, I'd rather not have the fact that it's because religious people killed others who weren't of the same faith, Wars that were caused by religion because
Most religion teaches you not to kill, So if you go against that, Then you'd kill for greed, lust, politics etc regardless of your faith.)
I don't usually tell anybody I am Hindu unless they ask. I'm not ashamed or anything, but it's 'need to know' basis. I just don't want to rock the boat with anybody.

I feel certain that if you were trying to proselytize with a group of Atheists, they will stand firm in their views and won't allow you to 'convert' them and vice versa.

People just have their own ways...their own beliefs.

It's admirable to want to 'share the love around', but most people are happy being who they are and doing what they do.

I don't understand why Christians so actively try to convert others to Christianity. There's no disrespect here, just curious too.

I realise that your religion gives love, hope, joy, grace, bliss etc, but so does mine and you could/would more than likely say 'that's the deceiver, not God', but I don't believe that.

You could try and make me Christian until you are blue in the face, but it will never work. Why? because I am a Hindu....because I am totally enamoured by my avatar...

So, you found salvation in Jesus. That is very nice, very good...but others are just 'not ready yet'. Look at it that way.

It's difficult trying to contain all this emotion/love inside...trust me, I know, but that doesn't mean others are going to appreciate this, want this, or feel the same way.

I think that if people were meant to be Christian, Hindu, Buddhist or whatever...unless they were born into it and had no choice, the religion actually chooses them when the time is ripe.

One of the things that puts of many from becoming Christian, is how hard they push it. If they didn't do that, I feel there would be more Christians and other Faiths wouldn't resent them so much for what is no more than 'marketing God'.

Thana

Lady
Oh, no. I could never even believe in a God like that, much less respect and revere Him. I prefer a God who makes sense to me.

God neither condemns nor forgives me. That's your own theology, not mine.

I was trying to get my point across,
I suppose instead of 'Should'
I should have said "Wouldn't this be reasonable if you believed in God...."

AmbiguousGuy

So you'll apologize for your grammar but not for blantantly insulting my God?

You'll need to grow thicker skin to survive here. All gods in this place get ravaged and ridiculed daily. (Which is to say, all posters' personal opinions about God get ravaged every day.)

Most of us consider that a good thing. We're not here to worship our God. We're here to kick God around and see how He handles Himself.