• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do Athiests challenge Thiests?

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
I bear everyone equally ill will; theist, atheist, and everyone in between.

The Yahtzee philosophy, I see.
zero-punctuation1.png

Monk Of Reason

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
So what is really at fault? The ideologies, Or the people who follow them.
People created these ideals, So isn't it therefore the people you must fight?
People who hate will justify there hate.
Not exactly. When they rally behind something its bad. when people find it acceptable for them to rally behind it and allow them to use the tool because it is a constitutional right then I get angry. We cannot simply allow something that is protected by the constitution be used as an axe to the flesh.

Your thinking is to simplstic and too devoid of the reality of the situation.

Riverwolf

Premium Member
Not exactly. When they rally behind something its bad. when people find it acceptable for them to rally behind it and allow them to use the tool because it is a constitutional right then I get angry. We cannot simply allow something that is protected by the constitution be used as an axe to the flesh.

Was it bad for people to rally behind Martin Luther King, Jr.?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Ideology is unavoidable. Blind following, however, is not.

People should not be afraid of "being -ists". They should instead be afraid of not knowing the consequences of what they do, and particularly of not attempting to learn them.

So what is really at fault? The ideologies, Or the people who follow them.
People created these ideals, So isn't it therefore the people you must fight?
People who hate will justify there hate.

Not sure what you are asking here. Of course, since there are so many dangers in people's ideas and behavior (which is to say, in ideologies) it follows that people should be cautious and responsible and questioning.

Yet you created this thread because it surprises and perhaps bothers you that people do that?

Last edited:

Thana

Lady
Ideology is unavoidable. Blind following, however, is not.

People should not be afraid of "being -ists". They should instead be afraid of not knowing the consequences of what they do, and particularly of not attempting to learn them.

Not sure what you are asking here. Of course, since there are so many dangers in people's ideas and behavior (which is to say, in ideologies) it follows that people should be cautious and responsible and questioning.

Yet you created this thread because it surprises and perhaps bothers you that people do that?

Not at all. To be honest, I just didn't understand why Athiests would challenge my beliefs. I wondered if perhaps it was ego, Or they wanted to be right or they wanted to prove me wrong.

But after learning more, I realize it's not that. It can be a whole variety of reasons, None of them as bad as I assumed they were. But I suppose it was my own fault, For thinking the worst in people.

Your thinking is to simplstic and too devoid of the reality of the situation.

I disagree, I'm trying to remove all the crap that surrounds it and get down to the basic truth. Things aren't always as complex as we believe them to be.

Riverwolf

Premium Member
I disagree, I'm trying to remove all the crap that surrounds it and get down to the basic truth. Things aren't always as complex as we believe them to be.

Or as simple.

But don't limit where you search. Even in places where spirituality was clearly never meant to be portrayed, spirit can be glimpsed, and can help you form new insights.

I can give you, however, a place to start. It's not pretty, or spiritually uplifting. But it's something you're going to need to explore in order to get to the bottom of things, even if you disagree with it (you may have heard it before):

The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear.
And the oldest and strongest kind of fear
Is fear of the unknown.

Last edited:

Thana

Lady
Or as simple.

But don't limit where you search. Even in places where spirituality was clearly never meant to be portrayed, spirit can be glimpsed, and can help you form new insights.

I can give you, however, a place to start. It's not pretty, or spiritually uplifting. But it's something you're going to need to explore in order to get to the bottom of things, even if you disagree with it (you may have heard it before):

The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear.
And the oldest and strongest kind of fear
Is fear of the unknown.

And I counter that with this

1 John 4:18 -
There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
And I counter that with this

1 John 4:18 -
There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.

NIV -

Luke 12:

4 “I tell you, my friends, do not be afraid of those who kill the body and after that can do no more. 5 But I will show you whom you should fear: Fear him who, after your body has been killed, has authority to throw you into hell. Yes, I tell you, fear him.

Leviticus 25:17

Do not take advantage of each other, but fear your God. I am the Lord your God.

Last edited:

Thana

Lady
NIV -

Luke 12:

4 “I tell you, my friends, do not be afraid of those who kill the body and after that can do no more. 5 But I will show you whom you should fear: Fear him who, after your body has been killed, has authority to throw you into hell. Yes, I tell you, fear him.

Leviticus 25:17

Do not take advantage of each other, but fear your God. I am the Lord your God.

"I tell you, my friends, do not be afraid of those who kill the body and after that can do no more."

Is that not awesome! The perfect example of not having fear of the unknown

"But I will show you whom you should fear: Fear him who, after your body has been killed, has authority to throw you into hell. Yes, I tell you, fear him"

"Do not take advantage of each other, but fear your God. I am the Lord your God"

God-fearing or fearing God is another matter entirely.
It's meaning also is similar to respect or reverence.
Comparing the human concept of fear and the fear of God is like comparing a fear of spiders to a fear of unending torture.

Thana

Lady
So Luke is telling us that we should respect and revere the One who will throw us into Hell after death?

That wasn't the point of that particular scripture.
The point was, What can man do that's worse than God?
Why be afraid of anything in the world, When God is the only thing you should care about.

And yes, Shouldn't you respect and revere Him when he has such awesome power?
Shouldn't you respect and revere Him, When he has the ability to condemn you, Yet he raises you up, Blesses you, Forgives you and loves you?

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
That wasn't the point of that particular scripture.
The point was, What can man do that's worse than God?
Why be afraid of anything in the world, When God is the only thing you should care about.

And yes, Shouldn't you respect and revere Him when he has such awesome power?
Shouldn't you respect and revere Him, When he has the ability to condemn you, Yet he raises you up, Blesses you, Forgives you and loves you?

No any god that would condem me is vile and the enemy of man.

Iti oj

Premium Member
Mm that's your opinion.
But thank you for adding that necessary and relevant bit of information. :shrug:

You asked a question. its not like my comment was out of the blue. So you can not dismis what I said like that further more this thread is about my/atheist opinion. Not yours. So being dismisive again fails.

Thana

Lady
You asked a question. its not like my comment was out of the blue. So you can not dismis what I said like that further more this thread is about my/atheist opinion. Not yours. So being dismisive again fails.

You insulted my God,
But I suppose I'm expected to take it.

Iti oj

Premium Member
You insulted my God,
But I suppose I'm expected to take it.
...yet its ok for you to sya god might condem me? Or that my view is wrong. But I say god is unworshipable and why and I am being insulting. Double standard. Further more that was not an insult but an honest insight to how I view a particular. God concept.

You are being intellectualy dishonest. Why don't you ask a follow question.

Sorry for the crappy gramar and such I blame the phone

Iti oj

Premium Member
You asked a question. Just because you did not like my answer does not mean I was insulting you or your god.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
God-fearing or fearing God is another matter entirely.
It's meaning also is similar to respect or reverence.
Comparing the human concept of fear and the fear of God is like comparing a fear of spiders to a fear of unending torture.

On what basis do you say this?

Iti oj

Premium Member
Perhaps it would be more constructive if you asked me what values I hold that make me feel that way,

Thana

Lady
...yet its ok for you to sya god might condem me? Or that my view is wrong. But I say god is unworshipable and why and I am being insulting. Double standard. Further more that was not an insult but an honest insight to how I view a particular. God concept.

You are being intellectualy dishonest. Why don't you ask a follow question.

Sorry for the crappy gramar and such I blame the phone

So you'll apologize for your grammar but not for blantantly insulting my God?

Also, I cannot agree with what you believe, Because it goes against my beliefs.
That's not an insult, And shouldn't be taken as one because I cannot help it and you shouldn't expect me to.

You don't believe what I believe, But that doesn't mean you should call my God vile. Especially since you know that is an offensive statement and doesn't need to be said. You could have instead just said "I don't agree with that" but you chose to be insulting.

Also, When have I ever, Ever said God is going to condemn you or anyone else. I do not speak for God and would never say that.