• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do Christians accuse other religions of believing in false prophets?

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
Their doctrines are wrong. Islam denies the Godhood of Jesus, for example. If Muhammad is wrong then anyone who confirms him is also wrong.
Christ does not claim to be God. But He did say He was a Prophet and the Qur’an agrees with that.

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
Christ does not claim to be God. But He did say He was a Prophet and the Qur’an agrees with that.
Yes, he does claim to be God. I'm not getting into this here though. But do you see the problem? Why would you take what the Quran says 600 years after the foundation of Christianity, which by then had the Creeds and solidified doctrines on these issues. Of course they're not going to accept Muhammad when he denies Jesus' Godhood.

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
..and how does that alter the "spiritual truths"?
That is only a doctrine .. it does not [ should not ] change ones attitudes towards
moral values.
Because religions have doctrines and theology matters. We can't just rally around some vague moral values while disagreeing on the fundamentals of what God is and what He wants, what proper worship should look like, and so on.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
From Muhammad to Krishna to Buddha and Baha’u’llah, it has been a norm amongst Christians of many denominations to accuse religionists of other religions of believing in satan himself and that all of these Teachers are ‘false Prophets’. Many times I have heard this said to me and others. Yet nowhere in the Bible does it categorically state by name that any of These Teachers are false. It is an interpretation by priests and clergy. All of Them taught love just as Christ did.
Not just Christians.

It's pretty much the norm that people see prophet claims in general as weak at best and bogus at worst. It's just that religious people often get it drilled into their heads from a young age that their own religion's prophets are special and not subject to normal critical examination.

To be fair, I know of excellent Christians and priests who respect other religions and Prophets and they, I believe, are true Christians who practice love and tolerance towards all.
Respect for other religions can often be just acknowledging those other religions' right to believe and practice. It doesn't necessarily mean agreeing with their factual claims.

As a Christian, what do you believe about Muhammad or Buddha or Krishna and Baha’u’llah? Do you believe the different religions should mix with one another or shun each other? I once invited some Christians who knocked on my door to say some prayers together for humanity but they told me that their elders forbid them to do that because they could get ‘spiritually infected’!
I'm not a Christian, but in general, I see "prophet" and "messenger" claims as foolish across the board.

That being said, I do agree that it's somewhat hypocritical for Christians to accept their own "prophets" as real but reject yours.

I think that some of this comes down to modernity: with a new prophet-claimant like Baha’u’llah (or Joseph Smith), you don't have the benefit of the "fog of time" to excuse why the support for the prophet's claims are so weak.

If Christ taught to love even ones enemy then this attitude towards other religions doesn’t sound right. What do you think?
If they think you're mistaken, and that great harm will befall you if you stay mistaken, why would "love" imply leaving to to that harm?

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Because religions have doctrines and theology matters. We can't just rally around some vague moral values while disagreeing on the fundamentals of what God is and what He wants, what proper worship should look like, and so on.

Well, my God as She disagrees with Him.
That is where we end. You have in the end your proof and I do it differently.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
Not just Christians.

It's pretty much the norm that people see prophet claims in general as weak at best and bogus at worst. It's just that religious people often get it drilled into their heads from a young age that their own religion's prophets are special and not subject to normal critical examination.

Respect for other religions can often be just acknowledging those other religions' right to believe and practice. It doesn't necessarily mean agreeing with their factual claims.

I'm not a Christian, but in general, I see "prophet" and "messenger" claims as foolish across the board.

That being said, I do agree that it's somewhat hypocritical for Christians to accept their own "prophets" as real but reject yours.

I think that some of this comes down to modernity: with a new prophet-claimant like Baha’u’llah (or Joseph Smith), you don't have the benefit of the "fog of time" to excuse why the support for the prophet's claims are so weak.

If they think you're mistaken, and that great harm will befall you if you stay mistaken, why would "love" imply leaving to to that harm?
Some good points.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
From my reading of each of the scriptures of all the major faiths, their spiritual truths are all valid. I don’t find any contradictions between the spiritual teachings. They all teach wisdom, love, compassion and virtues.
So you think that all the major faiths - including your own - accept that Jesus is God? They all accept that there are no prophets after Muhammad?

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
So you think that all the major faiths - including your own - accept that Jesus is God? They all accept that there are no prophets after Muhammad?
No I did not say Jesus was God. I said He denied being God. We believe Jesus was a Manifestation of God - a reflection of God but not God Almighty

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member

A prophet is not without honor save in his own country (Mark 6:4)

Words spoken by Jesus to the people of Nazareth, the town where he grew up. They refused to believe in his teaching because they considered him one of themselves and therefore without authority to preach to them.
Alright. I'll give you that one. I didn't remember that verse.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
No I did not say Jesus was God.
You said that there are no contradictions between the spiritual teachings of the major faiths.

A core spiritual teaching of most Christian denominations is that Jesus is God.

I said He denied being God. We believe Jesus was a Manifestation of God - a reflection of God but not God Almighty
So you think the Christians are wrong.

Do you understand the difference between these two statements?

"There are no contradictions between the spiritual teachings of the major faiths."

"There are no contradictions between what I think the spiritual teachings ought to be of the major faiths."

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
Yes, he does claim to be God. I'm not getting into this here though. But do you see the problem? Why would you take what the Quran says 600 years after the foundation of Christianity, which by then had the Creeds and solidified doctrines on these issues. Of course they're not going to accept Muhammad when he denies Jesus' Godhood.
My understanding of Christ’s divinity comes from His own Words in the Bible not the Quran.