• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do Christians accuse other religions of believing in false prophets?

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
You said that there are no contradictions between the spiritual teachings of the major faiths.

A core spiritual teaching of most Christian denominations is that Jesus is God.

So you think the Christians are wrong.

Do you understand the difference between these two statements?

"There are no contradictions between the spiritual teachings of the major faiths."

"There are no contradictions between what I think the spiritual teachings ought to be of the major faiths."
It depends on who you ask. There are Christians who understand that the Bible denies Christ is God and there are others who say He is God. So there is no universal agreement by Christians on this topic. So Christians already contradict each other on this matter. One of them is wrong as they can’t disagree and both be right.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
Well, so did his being a prophet. Can't accept one and dismiss the other.

And the Bible is the holy writ of Christianity, not the Quran. Why would a Christian be concerned about what's in the Quran?
There must be some misunderstanding. I’m only referring to what the Bible says. Christ called Himself a Prophet in the Bible.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
It depends on who you ask. There are Christians who understand that the Bible denies Christ is God and there are others who say He is God.
That's a bit of a dishonest characterization. One of those positions is much more prevalent. The vast majority of Christians believe that Jesus is one of the three persons of the Trinity... i.e. that Jesus is God.

So there is no universal agreement by Christians on this topic. So Christians already contradict each other on this matter. One of them is wrong as they can’t disagree and both be right.
So now your position has changed from "there is no contradiction between the spiritual teachings of the major faiths" to "there are contradictions in the spiritual truths even within the major faiths"?

wellwisher

From Muhammad to Krishna to Buddha and Baha’u’llah, it has been a norm amongst Christians of many denominations to accuse religionists of other religions of believing in satan himself and that all of these Teachers are ‘false Prophets’. Many times I have heard this said to me and others. Yet nowhere in the Bible does it categorically state by name that any of These Teachers are false. It is an interpretation by priests and clergy. All of Them taught love just as Christ did.

To be fair, I know of excellent Christians and priests who respect other religions and Prophets and they, I believe, are true Christians who practice love and tolerance towards all.

As a Christian, what do you believe about Muhammad or Buddha or Krishna and Baha’u’llah? Do you believe the different religions should mix with one another or shun each other? I once invited some Christians who knocked on my door to say some prayers together for humanity but they told me that their elders forbid them to do that because they could get ‘spiritually infected’! If Christ taught to love even ones enemy then this attitude towards other religions doesn’t sound right. What do you think?
This human phenomena is similar in American politics, where the Left will shout down Conservative speakers less they listen and learn something new. That is the worse example of a biased religion, I have even seen. I have never seen Christians get that systemically paranoid and start chanting loudly to avoid hearing.

This type of reaction is less about religion, and more about an aspect of human nature. This dynamics also applies to the seasonable rivalry between the NY Yankee and Boston Red Sox fans in US baseball, as well the fans of the Pro Soccer teams in England and many countries all over the world.

At its base, fanaticism is a compensation for doubt. If there is some inner doubt, often unconscious, but which one can semiconsciously sense, one can become fanatical to repress that doubt. Fanaticism can give you some extra energy and blind conviction in your one sided approach. The political left, shouting down the data, that they are ignoring, which is leading to their energy of fanaticism, if made too conscious, could lower their energy levels. Dealing with this is the adult thing to do, but they are addicted to the up buzz, like a type of psychological drug, that works best on an empty head and hardened heart.

I took the opposite approach as a young adult. I did not wish to be unconscious but wanted to learn about other religions. I was of age as a Catholic; Confirmation, and my priest had no problem with ne being open to other spiritual systems. The more you learn,, the more you can find commonality with all; love your neighbor and make your "perceived enemy" your friend and new neighbor. Don't become too dependent on the buzz of unconsciousness. It can give energy, but it is destructive.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
That's a bit of a dishonest characterization. One of those positions is much more prevalent. The vast majority of Christians believe that Jesus is one of the three persons of the Trinity... i.e. that Jesus is God.

So now your position has changed from "there is no contradiction between the spiritual teachings of the major faiths" to "there are contradictions in the spiritual truths even within the major faiths"?
By spiritual teachings I mean the virtues not doctrines created later by the church. There is no mention in the Bible about the trinity. That is a man made or clergy made idea not taught by Christ and definitely nowhere in the Bible. The spiritual laws and teachings of Christ are all in harmony say with those of Buddha. But doctrines of the church are not from Jesus. So for example the Beautitudes and the Dhammapada. Both beautiful spiritual teachings I can apply to my life without conflict or contradiction. But things like the sacraments were not from Jesus.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
From Muhammad to Krishna to Buddha and Baha’u’llah, it has been a norm amongst Christians of many denominations to accuse religionists of other religions of believing in satan himself and that all of these Teachers are ‘false Prophets’. Many times I have heard this said to me and others. Yet nowhere in the Bible does it categorically state by name that any of These Teachers are false. It is an interpretation by priests and clergy. All of Them taught love just as Christ did.

To be fair, I know of excellent Christians and priests who respect other religions and Prophets and they, I believe, are true Christians who practice love and tolerance towards all.

As a Christian, what do you believe about Muhammad or Buddha or Krishna and Baha’u’llah? Do you believe the different religions should mix with one another or shun each other? I once invited some Christians who knocked on my door to say some prayers together for humanity but they told me that their elders forbid them to do that because they could get ‘spiritually infected’! If Christ taught to love even ones enemy then this attitude towards other religions doesn’t sound right. What do you think?
I think this is just another passive aggressive Baha'i thread directed towards Christians because we won't accept your alleged "messengers" and give up our religion. You're going to have to get over it. Christ is God Almighty; add-ons are unnecessary when you have God Incarnate as the focus of your religion.

muhammad_isa

Veteran Member
Because religions have doctrines and theology matters. We can't just rally around some vague moral values while disagreeing on the fundamentals of what God is and what He wants, what proper worship should look like, and so on.
It's only a problem, if you make it a problem.
Almighty God knows why we say what we say.

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
I once invited some Christians who knocked on my door to say some prayers together for humanity but they told me that their elders forbid them to do that because they could get ‘spiritually infected’!
I hope you realise that these kinds of people don't represent normative Christians, yes? If this is your experience of Christianity you need to broaden your horizon and go speak to some Catholics, Anglicans, Lutherans, Orthodox, etc.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
This human phenomena is similar in American politics, where the Left will shout down Conservative speakers less they listen and learn something new. That is the worse example of a biased religion, I have even seen. I have never seen Christians get that systemically paranoid and start chanting loudly to avoid hearing.

This type of reaction is less about religion, and more about an aspect of human nature. This dynamics also applies to the seasonable rivalry between the NY Yankee and Boston Red Sox fans in US baseball, as well the fans of the Pro Soccer teams in England and many countries all over the world.

At its base, fanaticism is a compensation for doubt. If there is some inner doubt, often unconscious, but which one can semiconsciously sense, one can become fanatical to repress that doubt. Fanaticism can give you some extra energy and blind conviction in your one sided approach. The political left, shouting down the data, that they are ignoring, which is leading to their energy of fanaticism, if made too conscious, could lower their energy levels. Dealing with this is the adult thing to do, but they are addicted to the up buzz, like a type of psychological drug, that works best on an empty head and hardened heart.

I took the opposite approach as a young adult. I did not wish to be unconscious but wanted to learn about other religions. I was of age as a Catholic; Confirmation, and my priest had no problem with ne being open to other spiritual systems. The more you learn,, the more you can find commonality with all; love your neighbor and make your "perceived enemy" your friend and new neighbor. Don't become too dependent on the buzz of unconsciousness. It can give energy, but it is destructive.
Very thoughtful response. I think Catholicism did a lot for me as a child but as I grew older I felt that there was more and that I could either lock my mind away like a bird in a cage or take the risk and explore. And outside that cage I found so much in common with others that Opened my mind to broader horizons and it is liberating to just keep learning. Thank you.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
I hope you realise that these kinds of people don't represent normative Christians, yes? If this is your experience of Christianity you need to broaden your horizon and go speak to some Catholics, Anglicans, Lutherans, Orthodox, etc.
I hope not. I have met some great people but when that happened it was a bit of a shock to the system.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Christ in numerous passages in the Bible denies being God. Nothing to do with Baha’i at all.
So you think that Christians should proclaim different "spiritual truths" than they do.

The most narrow-minded, anti-Baha'i Christian can say "I support the Baha'i faith (if we only count the parts that I agree with)." I don't see your position as any different.

You agree with some aspects of Christian teaching and disagree with other aspects. That's fine - you're an adherent of a different religion. Why the need to pretend that other religions agree with you?

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
I think this is just another passive aggressive Baha'i thread directed towards Christians because we won't accept your alleged "messengers" and give up our religion. You're going to have to get over it. Christ is God Almighty; add-ons are unnecessary when you have God Incarnate as the focus of your religion.
On the contrary I believe in Jesus more I believe than many Christians. He is my life and my Light. His teachings of love are needed more today than at any period in human history and anyone who follows Him is blest.