• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do disbelieves hate the word disbelievers

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic
Thats none of ur business if its true or not.

... what on earth are you talking about? Islam is all about believing that there is one god, that it speaks only through prophets; that Muhammad was the last one and the Quran was the message Allah sent - and Muslims have been trying to convince everyone else of the truthfulness of these claims since Islam was started by Muhammad. Of course it's our business if your claims are true or not because you've made it our business with your constant snide remarks about how saying certain things will hurt us in the afterlife or doing certain things is blasphemy against your religious code of conduct even if the person doing it is non-Muslim. You don't get to say "My religion is true and perfect, yours is false and evil" then hit out with "It's none of your business if it's true or not" when people object. That's not how this works.

Satyamavejayanti

"Servant_of_the_One1",

Namaste,

It makes no sense why they hate it.
They dont believe in it so why does it bother them?

I don't hate the word disbeliever or unbeliever, nor do i hate being called one.

Personaly iam proud kafir/disbeliever in..... hinduism... because i will never believe in their doctrines.

There is no doctrinal/non doctrinal concept similar to non-believer or Kafir in Hinduism, Hindus generally don't care if you believe or not, but we do care if you are respectful or disrespectful. Respect is paramount and is more important then belief in Hinduism.

Dhanyavad

Last edited:

Urban Omnist

Interesting discussion. I have found myself disliking being called a disbeliever in the past because I don't consider myself to be one. What has been known to bother me is people who consider you to be a disbeliever simply for not believing exactly they way they do. In that respect, I can imagine some people taking offense.

MD

qualiaphile
The same reason an African American person would strongly dislike it if a racist person called them 'Negro'. It means black, but the historical connotations are tied in with centuries of systemic oppression, hate and persecution. Same with 'kufr'.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

Personaly iam proud kafir/disbeliever in judaism/christianity/hinduism/buddhism/atheism because i will never believe in their doctrines.

Correction title: why do disbelievers hate to be called Disbelievers
Who said we hate the term "disbeliever"?
I am a.....
- Disbeliever
- Nonbeliever
- Unbeliever
- Zilchbeliever
- Heathen
- Atheist
- Skeptic
- Infidel
- Apostate
- Reprobate
- Revoltifarian

Last edited:

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

I would suggest it depends more on the context than the term. Personally, I could care less. But some atheists get a little peeved when told repeatedly that they're evil, that they're going to burn, or that they have made baby Jesus cry. So it might depend whether it's a statement of fact 'ie. You disbelieve in an omniscient God, right?' or a statement of judgement.

Personaly iam proud kafir/disbeliever in judaism/christianity/hinduism/buddhism/atheism because i will never believe in their doctrines.

Being proud of it would be more confusing to me than being upset, to be honest. I'm neither, but unless I categorise all believers as irrational, and then also make the logically flawed leap that all non-believers are therefore rational, what is it I would be proud about?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Kafir is disbeliever.

Maybe u want to be called believer/mu'min.

I suppose u believe in Allah and his prophets etc?
The word "infidel" which kafir can be translated as is an insult to many English speakers. "infidel" can be defined as "(literally "unfaithful") is a pejorative term used in certain religions for those who do not believe the central tenets of one's own religion, are members of another religion, or are not religious."