• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Do Gods Need To Be Worshipped

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
These are human concepts and require no physical proof as they do not claim to affect the physical world.
But you believe in them, and they have no physical evidence.

How do you explain the vastly different views on the nature, shape and number of gods prevalent throughout history.
It's fairly simple, actually. The true God, and experiences of it, are utterly incomprehensible (a truth which all religions I'm even passingly familiar with recognize, when push comes to shove). Omitting those religions inspired by encounters with sidhe, which I was discussing earlier, this reveals all theology to be an attempt to explain the inexplicable. All such attempts are failures, my own included.

The truly beautiful thing about your belief is that there is evidence of the existence of your god as i can see, touch, taste, smell and here the cosmos. Which is much more proof than most religions can supply
Thank you.

Hmmmm ok, i dont trust my perceptions because perceptions can be changed by previous experiences, external stimuli and emotional states.

This being said i believe that the chaos view that 'everything is true and nothing is true' is quite valid as our perceptions influence our concept of reality and our perceptions are influenced by the above mentioned.
Fair enough. How do you determine what to trust, then? Nothing is truly objective, only inter-subjective. God, like emotion and philosophy, has no physical evidence, but is intersubjective. Just not universally so.

The Neo Nerd

But you believe in them, and they have no physical evidence.

I stand by my 'no physical proof needed because no physical effect is implied'

It's fairly simple, actually. The true God, and experiences of it, are utterly incomprehensible (a truth which all religions I'm even passingly familiar with recognize, when push comes to shove). Omitting those religions inspired by encounters with sidhe, which I was discussing earlier, this reveals all theology to be an attempt to explain the inexplicable. All such attempts are failures, my own included.

I had a feeling you were gonna pull out that one, in this case we are gonna have to agree to disagree until such time as one of us comes up with some proof.

Fair enough. How do you determine what to trust, then? Nothing is truly objective, only inter-subjective. God, like emotion and philosophy, has no physical evidence, but is intersubjective. Just not universally so.

I can only go with what seems to work at the time i guess.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I had a feeling you were gonna pull out that one, in this case we are gonna have to agree to disagree until such time as one of us comes up with some proof.
How can I agree to disagree when you don't tell me where you stand? :p

The Neo Nerd

How can I agree to disagree when you don't tell me where you stand? :p

I have but i'll state it again.

There is many different gods, from many different cultures, with many different personalities because the need for a higher being to makes sense of our existence is deeply imbedded in the human psyche.

You believe this is because there is a higher power and the variations between different cultures is explained by each cultures perceptions of that higher power.

I say i am right, you say you are right. Both valid theories but neither of us has valid physical proof so i request that we leave it at that.

-Q

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
If the need for God is so deeply embedded in the human psyche, then how are there atheists?

rojse

RF Addict
If the need for God is so deeply embedded in the human psyche, then how are there atheists?

I would like to know what difference there is between the brain of a theist and that of an atheist, even if it occurs only in a majority of cases.

The Neo Nerd

Maybe we are freaks.

Maybe our need for proof out ways our need for a higher being.

Maybe scientific fact is a surrogate higher being.

-Q

The Neo Nerd

Let's just assume that there is some form of higher power.

Why is it only in our heads?

And if it's only in our heads how can we know it's real?

-Q

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass

-Q
:confused: This makes no sense. Clearly, if there is a higher power, it's not only in our heads. :confused:

rojse

RF Addict

-Q

Doesn't your title state you believe in Chaos Magic? How do you know that is real?

The Neo Nerd

:confused: This makes no sense. Clearly, if there is a higher power, it's not only in our heads. :confused:

You have previously said that it is a matter of personal experience (therefore all in your head), unless you want to put forward that your experience with you higher power has manifested in the physical world.

Last edited:

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
You have previously said that it is a matter of personal experience (therefore all in your head), unless you want to put forward that your experience with you higher power has manifested in the physical world.
"All in your head" means imaginary. The two statements are contradictory.

The Neo Nerd

"All in your head" means imaginary. The two statements are contradictory.

Nope.

Without physical manifestations the only place it is experienced is in your head.

And yes imaginary is what i am alluding to. It fits in well with my 'humans need a higher power' theory.

Last edited:

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Yes, you did. You basically asked "if God is real, why is it imaginary?" The question makes no sense.

The Neo Nerd

Hmmm it seems semantics are the flavour of the day.

Let me rephrase.

If god is only real in your head, how can you or anyone consider he/she/it real?

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Hmmm it seems semantics are the flavour of the day.

Let me rephrase.

If god is only real in your head, how can you or anyone consider he/she/it real?
Obviously, I don't believe that "God is only real in [my] head."