• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do people deny or have various doubts about God?

outhouse

Atheistically
Sure. And IMO that means that religion should rise above fear of God - or never have it in the first place if at all possible.

Yes.

Education would do that for them.

Once one realizes how much death surrounded these people on a daily basis, and how terrible daily life was even for the people not oppressed. One can then start placing all the doom and gloom and threats into better context, and they should start to see how and why these authors wrote the mythology they did.

Provided their theistic blinders do not enable the willful ignorance they cling to.

Thruve

Sheppard for the Die Hard
Yes.

Education would do that for them.

Once one realizes how much death surrounded these people on a daily basis, and how terrible daily life was even for the people not oppressed. One can then start placing all the doom and gloom and threats into better context, and they should start to see how and why these authors wrote the mythology they did.

Provided their theistic blinders do not enable the willful ignorance they cling to.

I pity you dude. Every Post of yours on such topics is filled with a hateful passion lol

Last edited:

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Outhouse said:
And we both know how much religions are known to retard humanities advancements.
...not sure on this point. Usually its politicians who repress human advancements, although I'm aware of exceptions. Maybe the thing to note is that so much has changed in the last three centuries that almost anyone has a difficult time keeping up with the changes.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Out of curiosity, how many do you think there are, and how many of them would be better people if they had never heard of the concept?

There have been a dozen or so right here on RF who flat out admit it.

So I suspect it more popular than one would expect.

Monk Of Reason

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
So, what you are saying is, you take issue with people having experiences that you yourself have never had, and you take issue with people having experiences that you yourself find difficult to even imagine. I get that. It's got to be somewhat frustrating, especially if you believe that you actually desire to have an experience of God. Sadly, for many, this is one of those issues that requires a leap of faith first, and then the evidence follows. But it is not blind faith one needs. I believe it simply requires small baby step increments of faith. I believe that reason can, and does lead people to the kind of faith building that leads one to experience the presence of God.
I take issue with it because you are misusing words. People are bringing science and religion down to the same level when they are not equal in terms of evidence and saying "everything is faith based" negates the need for anyone to defend their position.

I was once religious and I felt "god's presence" but after loosing faith I have felt the same thing again though It wasn't god. Then I realized those feelings I had were inside of me. They were a product of me rather than of god. That was both frightening and exhilarating realization.

Thruve

I take issue with it because you are misusing words. People are bringing science and religion down to the same level when they are not equal in terms of evidence and saying "everything is faith based" negates the need for anyone to defend their position.

I was once religious and I felt "god's presence" but after loosing faith I have felt the same thing again though It wasn't god. Then I realized those feelings I had were inside of me. They were a product of me rather than of god. That was both frightening and exhilarating realization.

I find that rather contradictory. Though I do know what your speaking of, What gave it away that it was a product of your doing?

Sonofason

Then it can be dismissed as a bold empty claim.

Thank you for clarifying.

It really doesn't matter to me whether you dismiss my claims or not. For me it's just food for thought. You don't have to think if you don't want to. Dismiss it. By all means, dismiss everything I say.

Sonofason

I never misuse words. I use them exactly as I intend to use them.

I'd like to see your evidence proving that that which you once believed was an experience of God was not actually an experience of God. I'd like to see you prove that that which you claim you experience now, that you once thought was an experience of God is not an experience of God. I like evidence. Please show yours.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Imagine trying to prove god to someone who doesn't believe in god, and not using scripture or anything else that is second-hand to prove your case, I think its best to keep such things to yourself, the more we try to prove god the more ignorant we become. There is nothing to prove about god, we are all one with the cosmos, this cosmos is like the ocean, we are like waves upon the ocean. Imagine a wave telling another wave what the ocean is, the wave is separating the ocean from the wave, and believing its separate, where to the enlightened one, the waves and the ocean is all one, no need to prove anything.

Sonofason

Third day, plants. Fourth day, the sun. Nope.

God contains sufficient light to support all life.

"And I saw no temple therein: for the Lord God Almighty and the Lamb are the temple of it. And the city had no need of the sun, neither of the moon, to shine in it: for the glory of God did lighten it, and the Lamb is the light thereof."
(Revelation 21:22-23)

I don't know how things were exactly on the earth before the fall of mankind. I imagine it was a lot like how it will be on the earth when mankind is restored. I believe that God has placed the order of creation just the way he did, just for you. Such things are stumbling blocks to the faithless. And God wants no part in faithless men.

You may be convinced that plants can’t grow without the sun, while I believe that plants can’t grow without God.

It's simply a matter of faith and perspective.

Thruve

Imagine trying to prove god to someone who doesn't believe in god, and not using scripture or anything else that is second-hand to prove your case, I think its best to keep such things to yourself, the more we try to prove god the more ignorant we become. There is nothing to prove about god, we are all one with the cosmos, this cosmos is like the ocean, we are like waves upon the ocean. Imagine a wave telling another wave what the ocean is, the wave is separating the ocean from the wave, and believing its separate, where to the enlightened one, the waves and the ocean is all one, no need to prove anything.

Oh Look. I agree with this guy 150%! (on the proving god to exist part) lol

Alceste

Vagabond
God contains sufficient light to support all life.

"And I saw no temple therein: for the Lord God Almighty and the Lamb are the temple of it. And the city had no need of the sun, neither of the moon, to shine in it: for the glory of God did lighten it, and the Lamb is the light thereof."
(Revelation 21:22-23)

I don't know how things were exactly on the earth before the fall of mankind. I imagine it was a lot like how it will be on the earth when mankind is restored. I believe that God has placed the order of creation just the way he did, just for you. Such things are stumbling blocks to the faithless. And God wants no part in faithless men.

You may be convinced that plants can’t grow without the sun, while I believe that plants can’t grow without God.

It's simply a matter of faith and perspective.
No it isn't. One of us is correct and one is incorrect. Faith is not necessary when we have evidence, and we know - thanks to evidence - beyond the shadow of a doubt that the sun predated the earth by millions of years. In fact, without the sun's gravity the earth could never have formed to begin with.

Sonofason

No it isn't. One of us is correct and one is incorrect. Faith is not necessary when we have evidence, and we know - thanks to evidence - beyond the shadow of a doubt that the sun predated the earth by millions of years. In fact, without the sun's gravity the earth could never have formed to begin with.

That of course is your belief. I'd love to see your evidence that the sun predates the earth, just so that I can understand why you believe that. Show your evidence please.