• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do people make children?

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Honestly I would prefer a world where there are no wicked people who victimize and enslave other people.
But since there are these people...I think it's wrong to produce children that will become victims of these people.
Well, so long as you recognize that you are essentially advocating for the extinction of the human race, you are permitted your viewpoint.

I'll grant you, it would make the work of all those eco-lovers trying to save species all over the planet easier, but of course, they woudn't be around to enjoy it.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
So you would prefer a universe in which all life existed only on energy from stars and the inanimate material around them? And also never died? (And for that reason, should also never reproduce?)

Kind of... It depends on the specifics.

Let me put it this way: If the holocaust hadn't happened, many of us wouldn't ever have come into existence. But if I had to pick between my existence and preventing the holocaust, I would pick the latter.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Kind of... It depends on the specifics.

Let me put it this way: If the holocaust hadn't happened, many of us wouldn't ever have come into existence. But if I had to pick between my existence and preventing the holocaust, I would pick the latter.
But as the past is outside of our ability to alter, it's not an argument that I'll give much attention. I wouldn't attempt to answer such questions, myself -- I rather suspect, in my case, it would be an exercise in futility, liberally seasoned with an altruism I'd like to claim, but can't be altogether sure of.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
But as the past is outside of our ability to alter, it's not an argument that I'll give much attention. I wouldn't attempt to answer such questions, myself -- I rather suspect, in my case, it would be an exercise in futility, liberally seasoned with an altruism I'd like to claim, but can't be altogether sure of.

If you can't even be sure that you would pick preventing one of the worst moments of human history at the cost of your own life, how can that be a sign of anything other than selfishness?

This is not just about you in specific though. As I have said before, we tend to be selfish.

Bthoth

Eye-rolling.
i know, most of my friends were surfing and I was enjoying physics and tv/radio repair while working thru publications from berkeley and UC Irvine.

See penrose and hammeroff (UofA), ORCH theory, them two picked up where I left off at PNC (photo neuron conduction) to the synaptic junctions.

Kfox

"Many self-made millionaires have money coming in from several places, including their salaries, dividends from investments, income from rental properties, and investments they have made in other business enterprises, to name a few examples."

As a point. The poor typically don't have "salaries". Let alone multiple income streams.
And your point is?

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
And your point is?

The poor (and/or average persons) typically don't have "salaries". Let alone multiple income streams, to become millionaires.

Also, there is nothing wrong with being a millionaire. Billionaire on the other hand.

Kfox

Last sentence of the post you quoted specifically states "as a point...".

Apologies if you didn't read it.
Okay; I get it. True; the poor don't have salaries and multiple sources of income, but my point is, most poor don't remain poor forever so when they eventually do get those things; they are no longer poor and often become rich.

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
Okay; I get it. True; the poor don't have salaries and multiple sources of income, but my point is, most poor don't remain poor forever so when they eventually do get those things; they are no longer poor and often become rich.

That I am not sure is actually occuring, the poor having mobility, given that the price of consumer goods has skyrocketed in the last 50 years of trickle down attempts, and the wages we are paid stagnated in 1980s.

"Around 64% of Americans are living paycheck to paycheck."