• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do people make children?

Kfox

Your link doesn't state that they started poor, nor does it state that the poor are likely to become rich if they want to. Do you have anything else?
My claim is not that 80% of millionaires started off poor, my claim is that they were not rich.
The poor.
No other economic system has done more to lift more people out of poverty than the Market Economy

Kfox

Absolutely
What's wrong with being a billionaire?
No, Because the financial situation for the. Nation has changed in 13 years.
True! While some things have changed, this has not. However; here is another link only a couple months old that confirms the same thing.

Kfox

That I am not sure is actually occuring, the poor having mobility, given that the price of consumer goods has skyrocketed in the last 50 years of trickle down attempts, and the wages we are paid stagnated in 1980s.

"Around 64% of Americans are living paycheck to paycheck."

So how do you account for the fact that 80% of today's millionaires are first generation rich? Also, as pointed out by the article you provided, living paycheck to paycheck is not an indicator of being poor, often it's just a matter of spending too much.

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
So how do you account for the fact that 80% of today's millionaires are first generation rich?

Would you care to show how you arrived at these numbers? From hopefully a more recent survey?

As far as my link, I was only showing that wealth means little, everyone is struggling.

Kfox

Would you care to show how you arrived at these numbers? From hopefully a more recent survey?
The link I provided on post #184 was only 2 months old! How more recent do you need it to be?
As far as my link, I was only showing that wealth means little, everyone is struggling.
With 7% of the US population millionaires, everybody is not struggling. Sometimes when we are struggling, we assume everybody is in the same boat as we are in.

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
With 7% of the US population millionaires, everybody is not struggling. Sometimes when we are struggling, we assume everybody is in the same boat as we are in.

Seems a moot point what one is earning.

Kfox

Seems a moot point what one is earning.
As eluded to by your previous link, just because someone is struggling, does not mean they are poor; sometimes it's just a matter of spending too much; and just because someone is poor doesn't mean they are struggling; sometimes it's just a matter of living within your means. But then; with people insisting on raising minimum wages, it shouldn't be a surprise prices are going through the roof.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
My claim is not that 80% of millionaires started off poor, my claim is that they were not rich.

Have you changed your mind? You were talking about how even the son of a poor man has a good chance of becoming rich. Are you going stand by that or not?

No other economic system has done more to lift more people out of poverty than the Market Economy

Meaning you agree that being poor makes one a loser in a capitalist society? Otherwise, why do you want to debate about what economic system does the most to lift people out of poverty?

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I will stand by that.

No; it does not mean that.
Can I show you this clip?
A handsome man who looks amazing in that suit, cannot buy it because he has to sacrifice himself for the sake of his children.
Children will suffer and feel guilty and grow up sad and demotivated.

Making children is not advisable.

Kfox

Can I show you this clip?
A handsome man who looks amazing in that suit, cannot buy it because he has to sacrifice himself for the sake of his children.
Children will suffer and feel guilty and grow up sad and demotivated.

Making children is not advisable.

NO! Having children when you cannot afford them is not advisable.

Kfox

you said the poor are the losers in capitalism.Then substantiate the claim that poor people have a good chance to become rich. Your previous link simply doesn't.
History is full or examples of people who were once poor, eventually becoming rich. Now I’m not claiming the poor are likely to become rich, I’m just saying I believe their chances are good.
Then why are you talking about people getting out of poverty? How does it relate to what I said?
You said the poor are the losers in capitalism. I provided example of the poor getting out of poverty due to capitalism. The fact that this often happens refutes your claim IMO

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
You said the poor are the losers in capitalism. I provided example of the poor getting out of poverty due to capitalism. The fact that this often happens refutes your claim IMO
Capitalism is irrelevant when resources are limited.