• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do the Christians accuse Jesus of writing the NT Bible?

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Jerusalem Bible in addition to footnotes contains references to passages on the sides of pages for every verse that is a reference to OT, and also references to other verses or books that may explain text or verse in more detail, giving a wider context.
I find this more useful than any other bible including red letter bible for which I didn't know it exists.
"The editor of the New Jerusalem Bible, Henry Wansbrough, claims the Jerusalem Bible "was basically a translation from the French Bible de Jérusalem, conceived primarily to convey to the English-speaking world the biblical scholarship of this French Bible. The translation of the text was originally no more than a vehicle for the notes". He also writes: "Despite claims to the contrary, it is clear that the Jerusalem Bible was translated from the French, possibly with occasional glances at the Hebrew or Greek, rather than vice versa."[4]"
Jerusalem Bible - Wikipedia

Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Jerusalem Bible in addition to footnotes contains references to passages on the sides of pages for every verse that is a reference to OT, and also references to other verses or books that may explain text or verse in more detail, giving a wider context.
I find this more useful than any other bible including red letter bible for which I didn't know it exists.
The Catholic red letter Bible is also being advertised:

1. Douay Rheims Bible Red Letter
  2. https://www.amazon.com/Original-Tru...46-8628-8ea712e3cad1&pd_rd_i=1716940575&psc=1
Regards

firedragon

Veteran Member
Jesus also didn't explicitly and unambiguously say "God exists".
Therefore according to your logic God doesn't exist just because Jesus didn't say it.
Nonsense.

You mean the Bible does not anywhere say "God exists"? Do you mean the exact two words "God exists"?

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
To add:
" The Jerusalem Bible returned to the use of the historical name Yahweh as the name of God in the Old Testament, rendered as such in 6,823 places within this translation."
Jerusalem Bible - Wikipedia

Regards

paradox

(㇏(•̀ᵥᵥ•́)ノ)
You mean the Bible does not anywhere say "God exists"? Do you mean the exact two words "God exists"?
God or bible it doesn't matter. the point is that some people lay out lack of specific statements as if that's some kind of a proof.
But ignoring that such logic makes no sense.

firedragon

Veteran Member
God or bible it doesn't matter. the point is that some people lay out lack of specific statements as if that's some kind of a proof.
But ignoring that such logic makes no sense.

So what do you mean by your statement that "Jesus does not say God exists"?

Are you saying the Bible never says the exact words "God exists"? Or does it not have the concept at all?

paradox

(㇏(•̀ᵥᵥ•́)ノ)
So what do you mean by your statement that "Jesus does not say God exists"?

Are you saying the Bible never says the exact words "God exists"? Or does it not have the concept at all?
I was replying to @paarsurrey who said:
paarsurrey said:
Did Jesus claim that Jesus is the author of the whole bible in a straightforward and unambiguous manner, please?

His goal here is that since Jesus didn't claim authorship explicitly, therefore Jesus is not author.

For which I said it's not a valid logic, because same way we can conclude that God doesn't exist just because Jesus didn't say it explicitly.
But this doesn't make sense.

The bible does say God exist although not explicitly
Likewise the bible says Jesus is God although not explicitly.

The point is that lack of explicit statements is not proof of anything.

Hmm. What does the word YHWH mean? Or at least what do people conceptualise it as?
To my knowledge it means "I am who I am"

firedragon

Veteran Member
I was replying to @paarsurrey who said:

His goal here is that since Jesus didn't claim authorship explicitly, therefore Jesus is not author.

For which I said it's not a valid logic, because same way we can conclude that God doesn't exist just because Jesus didn't say it explicitly.
But this doesn't make sense.

The bible does say God exist although not explicitly
Likewise the bible says Jesus is God although not explicitly.

The point is that lack of explicit statements is not proof of anything.

I understand your point. But your example is bad.

Because the Bible explicitly says God exists. The surprise for me was you claiming the Bible does not say it explicitly. I think you are making that statement just to argue with this person.

paradox

(㇏(•̀ᵥᵥ•́)ノ)
I understand your point. But your example is bad.

Because the Bible explicitly says God exists. The surprise for me was you claiming the Bible does not say it explicitly. I think you are making that statement just to argue with this person.
Where does Jesus say God exists for example explicitly?

firedragon

Veteran Member
Where does Jesus say God exists for example explicitly?

Lol. I thought you believe Jesus wrote the Bible totally. So why are you asking for his words as if you want me to refer to the red letters in a red letter bible purely for this particular arguments sake?

Don't lose your stances just for one arguments sake. Try and be consistent.

paradox

(㇏(•̀ᵥᵥ•́)ノ)
Lol. I thought you believe Jesus wrote the Bible totally. So why are you asking for his words as if you want me to refer to the red letters in a red letter bible purely for this particular arguments sake?

Don't lose your stances just for one arguments sake. Try and be consistent.
you don't need a red letter bible, google and it's search operators is way more powerful than all bibles together.

I'm glad you got my point that asking for explicit statements is illogical.

firedragon

Veteran Member
you don't need a red letter bible, google and it's search operators is way more powerful than all bibles together.

I'm glad you got my point that asking for explicit statements is illogical.

Nope. It's not illogical. You are being absolutely illogical. And I just spoke of the red letter bible. But you are now treading on hypocrisy because to prove your argument which is illogical you want "googling" Jesus's words while earlier you said the whole bible was written by Jesus.

Unbelievable. No point going any further.

paradox

(㇏(•̀ᵥᵥ•́)ノ)
Nope. It's not illogical. You are being absolutely illogical. And I just spoke of the red letter bible. But you are now treading on hypocrisy because to prove your argument which is illogical you want "googling" Jesus's words while earlier you said the whole bible was written by Jesus.

Unbelievable. No point going any further.
Seems like we're not on the same track, I suggest you re-read this thread.

In your post #34 you said you understand my point, now you're saying you don't :confused:

firedragon

Veteran Member
Seems like we're not on the same track, I suggest you re-read this thread.

In your post #34 you said you understand my point, now you're saying you don't :confused:

I understand your point, though it is absolutely illogical. Understanding does not mean agreeing.

Same as when someone says "God is one", does not mean "God does not exist because it does not say it exists".

You contradicted yourself saying "the whole bible was written by Jesus", and then asking for "specific verses that Jesus himself spoke".

I asked you what "YHWH" means you won't respond.

I think you have no capacity of engaging in a decent discussion.

So bye.