• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why does it seem that God never intervenes in Human Suffering

Muffled

Jesus in me
I don't think I've ever seen a convincing answer.

Logically these are the possibilities I can see:

1. God doesn't exist.
2. God exists but is powerless to intervene.
3. God exists and could intervene, but he doesn't care about human suffering, perhaps he set it all up and then got bored with his new pets?
4. God exists and could intervene, but this would be against the rules of his grand experiment in which humans have to suffer because ( insert convoluted reason here ). Though we might wonder why he gave humans the capacity to steal, murder and wage war in the first place, why didn't he design humans to be much nicer, more caring, less selfish? We might also wonder about why God designed humans bodies so they would get cancer and all those other diseases.

I believe option 1, 2 and 3 don't exist.

I believe 4 works for the first sentence but the rest has problems.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I believe that was the question Jesus asked: whether the suffering could be avoided and still accomplish the objective. The fact that He went to the cross shows that there was no other way.
So your god is not omnipotent?

There's no logical contradiction in believing that God isn't omnipotent, but it's not a view that's commonly held by Christians, IMO.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
So your god is not omnipotent?

There's no logical contradiction in believing that God isn't omnipotent, but it's not a view that's commonly held by Christians, IMO.
allow me to say....God set the scheme if things in motion ....and the motion has rules.....
if He flexes against His own design.....won't that design fail?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
allow me to say....God set the scheme if things in motion ....and the motion has rules.....
if He flexes against His own design.....won't that design fail?
So God designed the universe to require cruelty in order to function?

What do you think this position implies about your god?

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
God does intervene but not in a magical superhero manner. God sends His Prophets with a Covenant which offers happiness and success in return for obedience to it. The Covenant consists of various laws and teachings and are the way God intervenes in human affairs.

So for instance, take the law of consultation. If it is properly followed according to the explicit directions, a peaceful outcome is guaranteed. God's intervention is that He has endowed proper consultation with an invisible power to unite if the right ingredients are there. If we choose our ways, as you can see, they are a failure.

Man made consultation involves things like the veto but God's method of consulting contains many spiritual conditions which, when applied, solves all problems because He has invested His method with success which, if we use it, is His "intervention". Now it's up to us to choose our method. He doesn't wave a magic wand. He gives us the choice to use His magic wand or not. So far, humanity believes it knows better so doesn't even look at God's ways. A real pity.

ThePainefulTruth

Romantic-Cynic
I believe one can cede one's will to Jesus and then He can intervene and does. I would imagine that I have avoided a lot of suffering that comes from excessive drinking , doing drugs, and having sex outside of marriage.

You don't get points added for turning your brain off, but you might get points subtracted.

I say....with 7billion copies of a learning device on this planet......
the odds bode well....there is a Supreme Intellect somewhere nearby, I hope so

The only difference between deism and atheism is hope.

ThePainefulTruth

Romantic-Cynic
Since we can't tell if there is a God or not, and if there is one which one He is, who can blame them?

Ciao

- viole

Because we can logically eliminate all of the candidates for God but deism's. Thus we're left with deism or atheism, and the only difference between those choices from our vantage point is hope.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Because we can logically eliminate all of the candidates for God but deism's. Thus we're left with deism or atheism, and the only difference between those choices from our vantage point is hope.

Hope? Do deists hope, and if they do, what do they hope for?

Ciao

- viole

Neo Deist

Th.D. & D.Div. h.c.

Ciao

- viole

Yes, we do hope.

I hope for a good afterlife (if there is one), and I hope that my actions as a moral person would grant me said afterlife.

What we don't do as deists is come up with a bunch of ritualistic crap, man made religious laws, male chauvinistic holy texts, or place blame on some type of evil, supernatural, boogeymen (devils/demons) that an omnipotent creator can't do anything about.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Yes, we do hope.

I hope for a good afterlife (if there is one), and I hope that my actions as a moral person would grant me said afterlife.

What we don't do as deists is come up with a bunch of ritualistic crap, man made religious laws, male chauvinistic holy texts, or place blame on some type of evil, supernatural, boogeymen (devils/demons) that an omnipotent creator can't do anything about.

Is the deistic God moral? Or somehow rewarding morality?

I ask because I have no clue about the tenets of deism. What I have in mind is that He does not care, basically. But I might be wrong.

Ciao

- viole

ThePainefulTruth

Romantic-Cynic

Ciao

- viole

Pretty much what Neo said.
Is the deistic God moral? Or somehow rewarding morality?

Personally I think morality rewards itself, being it means that person's head is screwed on right and will fit in and not be wanting to push the oblivion button thinking of all the evil he'd done. Of course Neo and I have considerable differences on what morality is, or what you can hyphenate deism with.

I ask because I have no clue about the tenets of deism. What I have in mind is that He does not care, basically. But I might be wrong.

Ciao

- viole

There's basically only one tenet, God (with an agnostic caveat) doesn't interfere. But it would make no sense that God wouldn't care. Why go to all that trouble and then walk away or otherwise just not care. The could-care-less clock maker idea is a 19th century holdover from Christianity, trying to make people feel better with a personal God who answers prayers, ostensibly. In fact, the only idea I can come up with for God creating us is for companionship and independent thought born of free will. What would God do without us. Angels would only be hand puppets after all, as would demons.

As America's second most famous deist once said, "
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear."--Thomas Jefferson

Last edited: