• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why does my God allow children to die? Is he evil?

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
Apart from some non essential difference, I agree. Evil is relative to mans interpretation :)

Actually sometimes evil is just evil.

For instance the Bible says God personally killed babies for adult infractions. That is just evil. No interpretation needed.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
This makes God seem to be rather petty and vengeful, though. Especially so, since it's not like he's gone out of his way to make himself and his desires easily understandable, accessible, and obvious to everyone. (If this is so important to him, why would he rely on really old manuscripts, subject to different interpretations, unintelligible to people raised in different cultures, and riddled with translation errors? Why would he rely on people to convey his message, when people are notoriously prone to getting things wrong, mental instabilities, and lying in order to obtain power and wealth? etc, etc?)

Not to mention, the expectation is entirely too high. I mean, in comparison to God, we would be like bacteria. Less than, actually. Do you expect a bacteria to comprehend and follow all of your desires? Do you even expect your dog to perfectly obey you? (And your dog has pretty concrete evidence of your existence!)

It also doesn't address the injustice of punishing innocent people for the crimes of others, and particularly children. Would you kill your dog's puppies because she stole food off the table? Is that fair?

And lastly, the free-will defense can only really reasonably be used to explain suffering caused by other people. It does not explain natural sources of suffering, such as natural disasters, disease, biological infirmity, etc.

Very well put. :clap

thau

Actually sometimes evil is just evil.

For instance the Bible says God personally killed babies for adult infractions. That is just evil. No interpretation needed.

Are you referring to whole nations being put to the sword because of their wicked ways, including the children of those tribes? It may very well be some generational sins or curses do get carried forward in their offspring and the Lord saw fit to do away with it in its entirety. As long as no one thinks the heaven the Lord has prepared for them are extended years here on this difficult earth, then there is no problem here. The Lord does not condemn the innocent, he may also not condemn the evil or guilty if the way they inherited such feelings was somehow placed upon them.

But if you are referring to the children for laughing at the prophet's bald head, that will take more convincing to satisfy a non-believer's disgust. But I ask, if one is a non-believer and is angry over such an event then they must believe it occurred? And if they believe that, then why do they reject all goodness and hope and gifts found in Scripture as well?

McBell

Admiral Obvious
But I ask, if one is a non-believer and is angry over such an event then they must believe it occurred? And if they believe that, then why do they reject all goodness and hope and gifts found in Scripture as well?
Seriously?
So any time some one gets emotionally into a story they have to believe it is true?

Is it your belief that in order for someone to talk about god they have to believe God exists?

Does this same "logic" hold true for say Harry Potter?

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
Are you referring to whole nations being put to the sword because of their wicked ways, including the children of those tribes? It may very well be some generational sins or curses do get carried forward in their offspring and the Lord saw fit to do away with it in its entirety. As long as no one thinks the heaven the Lord has prepared for them are extended years here on this difficult earth, then there is no problem here.

I find it appalling that Christians believe the killing of children is OK because they are the children of enemies! So I assume you agree that today, if an enemy kills you he then has the god sanctioned right to slaughter your children? After all they might grow up to avenge you - which is what the religions of Abraham always use as an excuse for this evil!

The Lord does not condemn the innocent, he may also not condemn the evil or guilty if the way they inherited such feelings was somehow placed upon them.

LOL! Right! An infant is an evil being that deserves to be put to death. NOT!

But if you are referring to the children for laughing at the prophet's bald head, that will take more convincing to satisfy a non-believer's disgust. But I ask, if one is a non-believer and is angry over such an event then they must believe it occurred? And if they believe that, then why do they reject all goodness and hope and gifts found in Scripture as well?

First let me assure you we don't believe the "miracles," but obviously the murder of children did happen! We find it appalling that you folks do believe it, and consider the sensless murder of children to be OK.

The reason it is of interest to us is because this ILLOGICAL - obviously human flawed - murderous being - is the one we are being told we should believe in - or we will be tortured! Christians want us to be ruled under Biblical law, and ideals! And you folks don't like Islam! LOL! No thanks.

However, you will note I specifically used "personally killed," because these infants of "enemies" are always brought up.

The Bible says YHVH murdered King David's son - because his father sinned! That is murder of the innocent. He was not an enemie's child to rise up later!

The Bible says YHVH made it so Pharaoh COULD NOT let the Hebrew slaves go - because YHVH wanted to show off power/miracles.

Then when Pharaoh did not let them go (because YHVH would not let him) - YHVH unleashes plagues on innocent people - and murders the first born.

That is premeditated torture and murder of the innocent!!!

That is the same as a murderer saying I'm going to let you and your kids live if you do ______, while keeping the man tied to a post, and then carrying out the torture and murder of the man and his kids, because they didn't do _____!!!

It is this very illogical, murderous, hating, threatening torture if we don't follow him, jealous, angry, WORST OF HUMAN EMOTIONS, giver of inhumane laws, being you call god - that tells us these are just the made up writings of angry, inhumane, men.

thau

Seriously?
So any time some one gets emotionally into a story they have to believe it is true?

Is it your belief that in order for someone to talk about god they have to believe God exists?

Does this same "logic" hold true for say Harry Potter?

Nay, nay. You can surely judge the one act (i.e. the destroying a tribe of pagans) on its own merits. You need not believe it happened in order to discuss the merits of it --- as the Bible may be only a fantasy book to you.

I just took a different tack and basically asked you a question, somewhat hypothetical. And that was “Let’s assume this God of the Bible existed as most of the pages spell it out. Would it bother you so much if besides His destroying a people, children and all, for reasons we humans cannot truly grasp with our mortal minds ---- this God also offers eternal life and happiness to all who are on earth? Yes we will suffer greatly for reasons unknown, but He is also saying I will forgive all your sins and the evils of your enemies and welcome you all into my kingdom. Would you still hold out on His offer because of your own disgust?"

I surely would not. But maybe that is because I am convinced all His Word is true, not just the slaying of a people.

Last edited:

Koldo

Outstanding Member
Nay, nay. You can surely judge the one act (i.e. the destroying a tribe of pagans) on its own merits. You need not believe it happened in order to discuss the merits of it --- as the Bible may be only a fantasy book to you.

I just took a different tack and basically asked you a question, somewhat hypothetical. And that was “Let’s assume this God of the Bible existed as most of the pages spell it out. Would it bother you so much if besides His destroying a people, children and all, for reasons we humans cannot truly grasp with our mortal minds ---- this God also offers eternal life and happiness to all who are on earth? Yes we will suffer greatly for reasons unknown, but He is also saying I will forgive all your sins and the evils of your enemies and welcome you all into my kingdom. Would you still hold out on His offer because of your own disgust?"

I surely would not. But maybe that is because I am convinced all His Word is true, not just the slaying of a people.

Out of self-interest one could possibly accept that offer. However, it would also depend on what price must be paid. Worship, for example, would be considerably complicated if you feel disgust for this god.

Last edited:

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I can't see why people see Death as bad...
It is inevitable. It is simply the culmination of a life.

The alternative is to fill all the earth.
Then what?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Apart from some non essential difference, I agree. Evil is relative to mans interpretation :)

Doesn't the Bible say that human beings have the judgement to discern right from wrong? Adam did eat from the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil, and elsewhere, it states that we are "without excuse" when we choose evil over good... the implication that we can tell good apart from evil.

So... at least in the Christian context, I don't buy the argument that God's actions that appear evil to us are actually good, because it's a tenet of faith for most Christians that we have the ability to tell what is evil and what is good.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I can't see why people see Death as bad...
It is inevitable. It is simply the culmination of a life.

The alternative is to fill all the earth.
Then what?

A question that might help give you a different take on this: why is murder wrong?

You do agree that murder is wrong, right?

thau

Originally Posted by thau
Are you referring to whole nations being put to the sword because of their wicked ways, including the children of those tribes? It may very well be some generational sins or curses do get carried forward in their offspring and the Lord saw fit to do away with it in its entirety. As long as no one thinks the heaven the Lord has prepared for them are extended years here on this difficult earth, then there is no problem here.

I find it appalling that Christians believe the killing of children is OK because they are the children of enemies! So I assume you agree that today, if an enemy kills you he then has the god sanctioned right to slaughter your children? After all they might grow up to avenge you - which is what the religions of Abraham always use as an excuse for this evil!

“Always use?” Oh, I forget, you are impugning Jews and Christians with the acts of Islam, apparently because we share something in common? Let my religion stand on its own “evil deeds” and good deeds, and then I will not blame you for the reign of Joseph Stalin either.

Do I agree that if my enemy kills me he is then “god-sanctioned” to kill my children as well because my errors would otherwise be carried on? Only if the cause is truly “God sanctioned.” I suppose that is for your or me or they to decide based on what we know or claim to know? It is such a cause we willfully accept in making said decisions.

But you are here to tell us it can never be right. Well, then, how do you suggest we take out Germany and Japan without hurting their innocents?

Quote:
The Lord does not condemn the innocent, he may also not condemn the evil or guilty if the way they inherited such feelings was somehow placed upon them.

Yes, it is no surprise this would become a primary argument for the heathen and fellow travelers. We can no better tell you why God thought it necessary to destroy these innocent children than we can ever satisfy you that suffering was a necessary part of God’s creation and earthly existence. But what we can tell you and do know is of total reassurance.

First let me assure you we don't believe the "miracles," but obviously the murder of children did happen! We find it appalling that you folks do believe it, and consider the sensless murder of children to be OK.

Yes, the senseless murder charge I can see is repeated in your post in several ways. But you also say you do not believe in miracles. Allright by me. But your defense better be more factually based than emotionally based. After all, most of the earliest followers only came to believe in Christ because of His miracles, and not because of his glorious words. I submit most unbelievers are not as clever as they want us all to believe with their many arguments, not too mention their wild theories as to why Fatima was fake and the Shroud is fake and Pio’s stigmata fake, and so on.

The reason it is of interest to us is because this ILLOGICAL - obviously human flawed - murderous being - is the one we are being told we should believe in - or we will be tortured! Christians want us to be ruled under Biblical law, and ideals! And you folks don't like Islam! LOL! No thanks..

This is one example of what I was referring to above, i.e. you are using emotional arguments and not factual ones. Who is judging you to be tortured or hellbound if you do not believe? Not my Church. In fact, the Catholic Church judges or condemns no man with any of its ruling. But you are putting up this strawman claim to make our God and our religion to be cruel and uncompromising on matters such as belief. Not so.

It is true you can find passages in Scripture that basically say what you are claiming, but I can find ten more that say almost the opposite. Mercy is for all, so is mercy for the ignorant wrong doer. This is why Jesus established His Church to be the authority on earth from whom all proper teachings flow… and not a personal interpretation of Scripture, especially one or two verses and then running with it.

However, you will note I specifically used "personally killed," because these infants of "enemies" are always brought up.

The Bible says YHVH murdered King David's son - because his father sinned! That is murder of the innocent. He was not an enemie's child to rise up later!

The Bible says YHVH made it so Pharaoh COULD NOT let the Hebrew slaves go - because YHVH wanted to show off power/miracles.

Then when Pharaoh did not let them go (because YHVH would not let him) - YHVH unleashes plagues on innocent people - and murders the first born.

That is the same as a murderer saying I'm going to let you and your kids live if you do ______, while keeping the man tied to a post, and then carrying out the torture and murder of the man and his kids, because they didn't do _____!!!

It is this very illogical, murderous, hating, threatening torture if we don't follow him, jealous, angry, WORST OF HUMAN EMOTIONS, giver of inhumane laws, being you call god - that tells us these are just the made up writings of angry, inhumane, men.

I really cannot be of assistance here. But I will say this in my defense.

The Judeo-Christian God has revealed Himself throughout history via empirical evidence, historical evidence, eye witness testimonies, and in the sheer volume of connecting reasons and events. It is beyond any doubt whatsoever in my mind and surely in a billion others.

The fact other religions make similar claims has zero bearing on our evidence. I could challenge them on theirs but I already know the answer. Both of us cannot be right.

So I go forward rejoicing in knowing Jesus is our Savior and heaven awaits those who love Him and those who love their neighbor as themselves. What a gift! Who can compare a demand for a peaceful life of 70 years to an eternal life? The path is clear.

The Lord does say “My ways are not your ways” as a caution not to be so demanding of the mystical and the disturbing parts of His word and our lives. We know enough and need to be willing to sacrifice and endure just as Jesus our Savior has done for us. Rejoice and go forward being charitable towards all and spreading the good news. And trust in Him for all that we cannot know or understand.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
thau said:

“Always use?” Oh, I forget, you are impugning Jews and Christians with the acts of Islam, apparently because we share something in common? Let my religion stand on its own “evil deeds” and good deeds, and then I will not blame you for the reign of Joseph Stalin either.

The facts are that all of the religions of Abraham murdered to spread their religions. And the OT tells us they murdered children.

thau said:
Do I agree that if my enemy kills me he is then “god-sanctioned” to kill my children as well because my errors would otherwise be carried on? Only if the cause is truly “God sanctioned.” I suppose that is for your or me or they to decide based on what we know or claim to know? It is such a cause we willfully accept in making said decisions

All sides claim their acts are from their Gods - and all that kill the innocent - are not in reality getting that info from any God!!! That is evil human thinking.

thau said:
But you are here to tell us it can never be right. Well, then, how do you suggest we take out Germany and Japan without hurting their innocents

The war with Germany was faught on the ground and innocent people died - however - any innocents purposely killed would be war crimes.

The bombs dropped on Japan are a totally different story - that was a war crime - and the USA should have been brought up on charges. They were not fighting on the land and had no excuse to drop those bombs on cities and kill all those innocent people.

thau said:
The Lord does not condemn the innocent, he may also not condemn the evil or guilty if the way they inherited such feelings was somehow placed upon them.[/quote]
thau said:

thau said:
Yes, it is no surprise this would become a primary argument for the heathen and fellow travelers. We can no better tell you why God thought it necessary to destroy these innocent children than we can ever satisfy you that suffering was a necessary part of God’s creation and earthly existence. But what we can tell you and do know is of total reassurance.

Any such would just be excuses for the horrendous things the Bible says your god does.

thau said:
But if you are referring to the children for laughing at the prophet's bald head, that will take more convincing to satisfy a non-believer's disgust. But I ask, if one is a non-believer and is angry over such an event then they must believe it occurred? And if they believe that, then why do they reject all goodness and hope and gifts found in Scripture as well[/quote]
thau said:

thau said:
Yes, the senseless murder charge I can see is repeated in your post in several ways. But you also say you do not believe in miracles. Allright by me. But your defense better be more factually based than emotionally based

Yours are not factually based.

thau said:
After all, most of the earliest followers only came to believe in Christ because of His miracles, and not because of his glorious words. I submit most unbelievers are not as clever as they want us all to believe with their many arguments, not too mention their wild theories as to why Fatima was fake and the Shroud is fake and Pio’s stigmata fake, and so on

We have stories of miracles - not proof.

Ingledsva said:
The reason it is of interest to us is because this ILLOGICAL - obviously human flawed - murderous being - is the one we are being told we should believe in - or we will be tortured! Christians want us to be ruled under Biblical law, and ideals! And you folks don't like Islam! LOL! No thank

thau said:
This is one example of what I was referring to above, i.e. you are using emotional arguments and not factual ones.

I am not using emotion - I am using fact. I have read the Bible and what I stated stands.

thau said:
Who is judging you to be tortured or hellbound if you do not believe? Not my Church. In fact, the Catholic Church judges or condemns no man with any of its ruling. But you are putting up this strawman claim to make our God and our religion to be cruel and uncompromising on matters such as belief. Not so

"Strawman" LOL! I was raised in the Catholic church and they believe and teach that everyone that doesn't accept Jesus is going to hell, just as all the other Christian churches.

Ingledsva said:

Ingledsva said:
The Bible says YHVH murdered King David's son - because his father sinned! That is murder of the innocent. He was not an enemy’s child to rise up later!

Ingledsva said:
Ingledsva said:

thau said:
I really cannot be of assistance here. But I will say this in my defense
thau said:
The Judeo-Christian God has revealed Himself throughout history via empirical evidence, historical evidence, eye witness testimonies, and in the sheer volume of connecting reasons and events. It is beyond any doubt whatsoever in my mind and surely in a billion others.

... Rejoice and go forward being charitable towards all and spreading the good news. And trust in Him for all that we cannot know or understand.

You of course are welcome to believe what you want. There is no evidence there to make me believe - and when you add in the illogical things in the Bible - and a murderous worst of human emotions god - I know I am correct.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
This was brought out many times by Atheists and agnostics, I would like to discuss it with you in a rational and respectful manner. My disclaimer is I am a true 5 point Calvinist and If that is offensive to you,You are free to close the thread now. If I may suggest , we leave out all slander against My God in the process of this discussion, slander being pre-defined as name calling as If he were real and present.Questioning scriptures depiction of God however you interpret is allowed. Example: Is God evil? Fair enough?

Here is my premise,
this is my belief based upon my scriptures.
God not only allows children to die, He has pre-ordained them to die. Hard for us to fathom, granted, but True nevertheless in Scripture. If we say he did not cause it and only allowed it to happen then God would be reacting to free will of man to accomplish their own destruction, thus putting too much power in men and essentially tying God's hands. God ordained for this latest tragedy for his own purposes, we cannot know them, we are not our creator, so The bible tells us we must accept that their is a divine plan and God is in control completely.

So you have asked, where is the comfort in that? Why do religious peoples comfort families of these tragedies with this premise of a God in control? Well let me ask you Atheists would you attempt to comfort these mothers with your precept that there is no God? No heaven and no hell? That their children are reduced to dust as they came? That the man who murdered them who took his life is also Dust and there is no justice for them either? Both parties cease to exist, one guilty, one innocent, both have the same fate in the end.

Or could it be more comforting that a God in control is with their babies now, that they know no suffering,feel no pain have no more tears and the man that took their life will be punished by a Just and perfect God. Where is the evil in my premise and the lack of evil in yours? I find evil in evildoing going unpunished.I find evil in a life given for no purpose but to die and cease to exist.
What say you?
Why is death evil?

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
A question that might help give you a different take on this: why is murder wrong?

You do agree that murder is wrong, right?

Killing and or murder are wrong.
That is both the Ethic and the law.
However God is responsible for neither,
We are.

It is reasonable to fear the manner of ones death,
Not death itself.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
We are.

That depends on how you view the bible.
In 1 Samuel 15:3, God orders the death ( the killing ) of the Amalekites, including the children. Just to cite one example.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
So you have asked, where is the comfort in that? Why do religious peoples comfort families of these tragedies with this premise of a God in control? Well let me ask you Atheists would you attempt to comfort these mothers with your precept that there is no God? No heaven and no hell? That their children are reduced to dust as they came? That the man who murdered them who took his life is also Dust and there is no justice for them either? Both parties cease to exist, one guilty, one innocent, both have the same fate in the end.

Or could it be more comforting that a God in control is with their babies now, that they know no suffering,feel no pain have no more tears and the man that took their life will be punished by a Just and perfect God. Where is the evil in my premise and the lack of evil in yours? I find evil in evildoing going unpunished.I find evil in a life given for no purpose but to die and cease to exist.
What say you?

I don't know why i missed this.

If we are talking about comfort, which shouldn't be the issue here at all, then it would be a thousand times more comforting to believe in a god that is not in control but that still managed to create heavens and hell.

A god unable to prevent evil and suffering, which explains why they are suffering, but that still can bring us to an afterlife of eternal joy.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
That depends on how you view the bible.
In 1 Samuel 15:3, God orders the death ( the killing ) of the Amalekites, including the children. Just to cite one example.
God is not responsible for what we selected to put in the Bible.

Such stories were used to Justify what people actually did, by blaming God for their own actions.
People even say it today, as an excuse.... "He ordered me to do it".
They say it about their superiors, and they say it about God.
They justify their actions with the Bible and the Quran.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
God is not responsible for what we selected to put in the Bible.

Such stories were used to Justify what people actually did, by blaming God for their own actions.
People even say it today, as an excuse.... "He ordered me to do it".
They say it about their superiors, and they say it about God.
They justify their actions with the Bible and the Quran.

That's why i started that post with: That depends on how you view the bible.

You believe in a God that neither caused nor ordered the death of people, but using the bible one could be justified in believing otherwise.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
We are.
As I think I said earlier in the thread, responsibility isn't a zero-sum game. A person can be entirely responsible for an act they commit while someone else who contributed to the act also bears responsibility for it.

But I'm glad you do agree that murder is wrong. Now... you say that God isn't responsible for murder. What do you think creates responsibility for murder?

For instance, if a person who sees that a murder is about to be committed chooses not to warn the victim or alert the police (at no risk to himself, for argument's sake), would you say that this person would be at least partly responsible for the murder?

It is reasonable to fear the manner of ones death,
Not death itself.
So a nasty aggravated assault is worse than a painless murder?

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
As I think I said earlier in the thread, responsibility isn't a zero-sum game. A person can be entirely responsible for an act they commit while someone else who contributed to the act also bears responsibility for it.

Even an entire people can be guilty (as in genocide)

But I'm glad you do agree that murder is wrong. Now... you say that God isn't responsible for murder. What do you think creates responsibility for murder?

I have always thought murder wrong.
Most societies decide that murder is wrong. It becomes their ethic.
They often write it into the fabric of their religion.

For instance, if a person who sees that a murder is about to be committed chooses not to warn the victim or alert the police (at no risk to himself, for argument's sake), would you say that this person would be at least partly responsible for the murder?
The law recognises failure to act as an offence.
Religion recognises sins of omission in the same way.
It is a different responsibility to the murder.

So a nasty aggravated assault is worse than a painless murder/

The law punishes aggravated murder as the more serious.