• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why does my God allow children to die? Is he evil?

kjw47

I find this statement to be kind of odd. I mean, we're talking about the same "Christian nation" that perpetuated the practice of slavery for centuries.

Christians don't have slaves, Those who listen to these teachers( 2Cor 11:12-15) would do such a thing.
God desires Christians to worship him( Father) in spirit and truth( John 4:22-24)
And since the truth appeared again here in these last days( Daniel 12:4) means prior to these last days, they didn't have some truth which means false teachings on those real truths were applied--thus corrections would be made here in these last days once a real truth is revealed to Jesus' real teachers, who then share food( spiritual) at the proper time.
What appears to be is not true in many things of this world. Especially its always been--99% false religions.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
Christians don't have slaves, Those who listen to these teachers( 2Cor 11:12-15) would do such a thing.
God desires Christians to worship him( Father) in spirit and truth( John 4:22-24)
And since the truth appeared again here in these last days( Daniel 12:4) means prior to these last days, they didn't have some truth which means false teachings on those real truths were applied--thus corrections would be made here in these last days once a real truth is revealed to Jesus' real teachers, who then share food( spiritual) at the proper time.
What appears to be is not true in many things of this world. Especially its always been--99% false religions.

Christians DID own slaves, and even argued that the Bible gave them the right to own them.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
Ingledsva said:
Christians DID own slaves, and even argued that the Bible gave them the right to own them.
No you have it all wrong

Christians owned servants
Only Godless heathens owned slaves

I hope you are kidding there?

We have newspaper articles, and transcripts, of arguments before the Civil War.

"A fellow reverend from Virginia agreed that on no other subject “are [the Bible’s] instructions more explicit, or their salutary tendency and influence more thoroughly tested and corroborated by experience than on the subject of slavery.” The Methodist Episcopal Church, South, asserted that slavery “has received the sanction of Jehova.” As a South Carolina Presbyterian concluded: “If the scriptures do not justify slavery, I know not what they do justify.”

"The Biblical argument started with Noah’s curse on Ham, the father of Canaan, which was used to demonstrate that God had ordained slavery and had expressly applied it to Blacks. Commonly cited were passages in Leviticus that authorized the buying, selling, holding and bequeathing of slaves as property. Methodist Samuel Dunwody from South Carolina documented that Abraham, Jacob, Isaac, and Job owned slaves, arguing that “some of the most eminent of the Old Testament saints were slave holders.” The Methodist Quarterly Review noted further that “the teachings of the new testament in regard to bodily servitude accord with the old.” While slavery was not expressly sanctioned in the New Testament, Southern clergymen argued that the absence of condemnation signified approval. They cited Paul’s return of a runaway slave to his master as Biblical authority for the Fugitive Slave Act, which required the return of runaway slaves." - Why Non-Slaveholding Southerners Fought

adi2d

I hope you are kidding there?

We have newspaper articles, and transcripts, of arguments before the Civil War.

"A fellow reverend from Virginia agreed that on no other subject “are [the Bible’s] instructions more explicit, or their salutary tendency and influence more thoroughly tested and corroborated by experience than on the subject of slavery.” The Methodist Episcopal Church, South, asserted that slavery “has received the sanction of Jehova.” As a South Carolina Presbyterian concluded: “If the scriptures do not justify slavery, I know not what they do justify.”

"The Biblical argument started with Noah’s curse on Ham, the father of Canaan, which was used to demonstrate that God had ordained slavery and had expressly applied it to Blacks. Commonly cited were passages in Leviticus that authorized the buying, selling, holding and bequeathing of slaves as property. Methodist Samuel Dunwody from South Carolina documented that Abraham, Jacob, Isaac, and Job owned slaves, arguing that “some of the most eminent of the Old Testament saints were slave holders.” The Methodist Quarterly Review noted further that “the teachings of the new testament in regard to bodily servitude accord with the old.” While slavery was not expressly sanctioned in the New Testament, Southern clergymen argued that the absence of condemnation signified approval. They cited Paul’s return of a runaway slave to his master as Biblical authority for the Fugitive Slave Act, which required the return of runaway slaves." - Why Non-Slaveholding Southerners Fought

I have had numerous conversations with Christians trying to explain how OT slaves weren't slaves. They try to justify slave ownership by calling them servants.
I should have put the sarcasm smiley but I can't see anything funny about owning another person

Btw. Why the accounts of people owning slaves in the U S ? I thought we were discussing a Christian nation. We didn't start as a christian nation and we aren't one now

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
I have had numerous conversations with Christians trying to explain how OT slaves weren't slaves. They try to justify slave ownership by calling them servants.
I should have put the sarcasm smiley but I can't see anything funny about owning another person

ING - Good to know. :D

Btw. Why the accounts of people owning slaves in the U S ?

ING - Because I am in the US, and have studied our wars, and the laying out of our Constitution. I can quickly access the information.

I thought we were discussing a Christian nation. We didn't start as a christian nation and we aren't one now

Yes - I have pointed this out many times.

In an early census Only 7% of the colonists were registered as Christian!!!

But with the arrival of Christian preachers -

The Christians decided to force their religion on the rest of the American people!!! Torture and executions were common.

In colonial Virginia it became a crime not to be a Christian, or at least to say so publicly. Here are a few examples of early Virginia laws.

1609 - Instructions from the Council. Indian medicine men were to be seized in order to destroy their heathen ceremonies.

1610 - Dale’s Code. The penalty for blasphemy was to push a "bodkin" through the blasphemer’s tongue. Whipping was the penalty for working on Sunday. Protesting the doctrine of the Trinity or the Christian religion was punishable by death.

1617 - Governor Argall’s decree. "Every Person should go to church, Sundays and Holidays, or lye Neck and Heels that Night, and be a Slave to the Colony the following Week; for the second Offense, he should be a Slave for a Month; and for the third, a Year and a Day."

1642 - Act of the Assembly. "All nonconformists upon notice of them shall be compelled to depart the colony with all convenience."

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member

I'm sorry, what?

Christians did have slaves.

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
His rules are good. They remain good even if we fail to obey them. We should do them and many have made astronomical strides in obedience but no one is perfect. That is pretty mush the case with any moral, ethical, or legal system with or without God. We can and do follow his demands but never perfectly. How can heaven be heaven if it allows the same imperfections in it that have torn this world apart? If the price of legal perfection is free what exactly is the complaint? He did not demand your blood to accomplish it, he shed his own. You ask like a dozen questions in each paragraph so read my response accordingly. I personally am not a very bright light but the message I defend is the brightest light man ever beheld. How does it not look as if we are forgiven? I see people experience it and have felt God's incomprehensible presence several times yet was never perfect. Every other source of temporal hope becomes a shadow in the light of God's contentment provided to even sinners such as me.
You'd think God would have given a rule book to Adam. These are the do's and these are the don'ts. But he waits until Moses to really set it straight what he expects. Those rules. They are "good"? Then let's follow them. But no, Christians make them irrelevant. Yet, Christians still pick and choose from the Hebrew Scriptures things that they can apply. So tell me which rules are still to be followed and which ones are no longer needed?

And "How can heaven be heaven if it allows the same imperfections in it that have torn this world apart?" What imperfections? I thought Christians say his creation was perfect? But obviously, it isn't, because we have freewill to chose to disobey. And freewill is what... a perfection? But when it is applied leads to imperfection? So freewill to disobey God has torn the world apart, but if he gives us the power to have faith in him, he will overlook our imperfections and let us into heaven? Even though, we can't obey his rules, and we can't have perfect faith, because we're imperfect? Not to mention that being "saved" and going to heaven weren't part of what Jews believe. Oh well, I guess I did mention it. So why wouldn't God have told the Jews all about heaven, salvation, that he had a son. And if you pull out some obscure quote then my question is: Why didn't he tell them plainly? In King James English, instead of a language that didn't even have vowels? It would have saved a lot of confusion.

What do you mean is there anything real?
So "real". Are any of the non-Christian religions real? If not, what are they? Not real, right. But people still believe them to be true. The religion has "God-given" rules and moral codes. And, explains who and what we are doing here. But, is totally, for a Bible-believing Christian, completely wrong. For them, your beliefs are necessarily real. To an atheist, your beliefs aren't real. But, to you, they are very real. But, since those other people find the exact type of comfort, same type of intuitive knowledge that their religion is the truth, than maybe, all religions are not necessarily real, but, to the believer, seems real.

And that's part of what we are arguing. Your "mountains" of evidence aren't all that convincing. A basic problem on why the Bible can't be trusted is the flood. When does the Bible say it happened? Can it be proven? If it could, I'd believe. 4000 or so years ago, there was only Noah and his family? And all of humanity came from them? Couldn't some DNA testing or something confirm such a thing? All the animals that survived were on the ark and scattered through out the world? Their migration seems like it should be traceable. But if not, then what are those stories? Real or myth? If myth, then what is God? Real or something we hope is there?

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
Hebrew indentured servants

Non hebrew servants were bought and sold. Children born to the "servants" were property.

Then you still have those young girls captured on the battlefield

YEP!

Lev 25:44-46 As for your male and female slaves whom you may have: you may buy male and female slaves from among the nations that are around you. You may also buy from among the strangers who sojourn with you and their clans that are with you, who have been born in your land, and they may be your property. You may bequeath them to your sons after you to inherit as a possession forever. You may make slaves of them, but over your brothers the people of Israel you shall not rule, one over another ruthlessly.

Exo 21:2-4 When you buy a Hebrew slave, he (MALE ONLY) shall serve six years, and in the seventh he shall go out free, for nothing. If he comes in single, he shall go out single; if he comes in married, then his wife shall go out with him
If his master have given him a woman (RAPE), and she have born him sons or daughters; the woman and her children shall be her master's, and he shall go out by himself.

Num 31:17 Now therefore kill every male among the little ones, and kill every female that hath known man by lying with him.

Num 31:18 But all the female children, that have not known a man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves.

Deu 21:10 When thou goest forth to war against thine enemies, and the LORD thy God hath delivered them into thine hands, and thou hast taken them captive,

Deu 21:11 And seest among the captives a beautiful woman, and hast a desire unto her, that thou wouldest have her to thy woman;

Deu 21:12 Then thou shalt bring her home to thine house; and she shall shave her head, and pare her nails;

Deu 21:13 And she shall put the raiment of her captivity from off her, and shall remain in thine house, and bewail her father and her mother a full month: and after that thou shalt go in unto her, and be her master, and she shall be thy woman. (RAPE!)

Deu 21:14 And it shall be, if thou find no delight in her, then thou shalt let her go whither she will; but thou shalt not sell her at all for money, thou shalt not make merchandise of her, because thou hast humbled her. (RAPED HER)

1robin

Christian/Baptist
No you have it all wrong

Christians owned servants
Only Godless heathens owned slaves
I am going to have to disagree with you here. Christians did own slaves and a few of them treated them badly. However hundreds of thousands of Christian died to free them under a Christian president. It is the only significant event where a country self condemned slavery. If only the current administration had the moral resolve they did.

1robin

Christian/Baptist

Btw. Why the accounts of people owning slaves in the U S ? I thought we were discussing a Christian nation. We didn't start as a christian nation and we aren't one now
I thought you meant US slavery. Your right about the OT in the most part. You said Christian and there were no Christians in the OT. Almost every known occurrence of "slavery" in Israel was voluntary debt servitude. The word slavery comes with 19th century baggage that has little relevance to the OT.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
You'd think God would have given a rule book to Adam. These are the do's and these are the don'ts. But he waits until Moses to really set it straight what he expects. Those rules. They are "good"? Then let's follow them. But no, Christians make them irrelevant. Yet, Christians still pick and choose from the Hebrew Scriptures things that they can apply. So tell me which rules are still to be followed and which ones are no longer needed?
He did. The simplest rules ever given. Do anything but X. The garden of Eden had few rules required. After the fall, expulsion, and only after God had searched and found a man who would follow him and a covenant made with his progeny were any systematic written laws necessary but from Adam to Obama he has given us all a moral conscience. The ten commandments were only the divine validation of what is in our hearts. The Levitical laws were specific to Israel and for an intended purpose. Other cultures were no held account top them specifically.

I have over and over again told you just how important moral duties are. They matter in every temporal way possible and also determine rewards in heaven. The one thing they do not determine is entrance to heaven. Christ's sacrifice is completely sufficient for that. Claiming Christians negate the need for moral law is just intellectually dishonest. Physical life and death hang in the balance of morality but not heaven.

What imperfections?
If you see perfection in 300 years of peace out of 5000 then I can't help, if you see perfection in killing our young in the womb we are not on the same page, if you see perfection in creating enough weapons to kill all life ever known I am at a loss.

I thought Christians say his creation was perfect?
It was but that is irrelevant since the fall. God allowed nature to operate unsupervised after we rebelled in almost all cases. WE told him we had this and did not need him. He withdrew and chaos ensued to show us we were wrong.

But obviously, it isn't, because we have freewill to chose to disobey. And freewill is what... a perfection?
Perfection is the capacity to fulfill a purpose. The purpose was to allow free choice to accept or deny God. This is a necessity of true love. It is the difference between a Kiss from your spouse and a kiss from a pair of lips on an ipad. Freewill perfectly suited purpose and would have perfectly suited well being if used correctly.

But when it is applied leads to imperfection? So freewill to disobey God has torn the world apart, but if he gives us the power to have faith in him, he will overlook our imperfections and let us into heaven? Even though, we can't obey his rules, and we can't have perfect faith, because we're imperfect? Not to mention that being "saved" and going to heaven weren't part of what Jews believe. Oh well, I guess I did mention it. So why wouldn't God have told the Jews all about heaven, salvation, that he had a son. And if you pull out some obscure quote then my question is: Why didn't he tell them plainly? In King James English, instead of a language that didn't even have vowels? It would have saved a lot of confusion.
How do you get so many complaints per paragraph in question form?

1. Application does not necessitate disaster, Abuse does.
2. He overlooks nothing. Our sin could not go unpunished and God remain just. Our sin required the highest price possible. Divine suffering.
3. It requires enough faith to allow a born again experience. At that point God is the author and finisher of our faith. Once applied it can't be undone. It is never perfect but if once sufficient, it God becomes it's guarantor.
4. They most certainly did believe in resurrection, salvation, and heaven. But as their entire history suggests they misunderstood the particulars in most cases. The entire OT is failure by the Jews to get doctrine properly understood in general but a remnant getting it right.
5. They refused to believe even when he proved his existence. The matter is not clarity or evidence, it is the heart the weighs either.

So "real". Are any of the non-Christian religions real? If not, what are they? Not real, right. But people still believe them to be true. The religion has "God-given" rules and moral codes. And, explains who and what we are doing here. But, is totally, for a Bible-believing Christian, completely wrong. For them, your beliefs are necessarily real. To an atheist, your beliefs aren't real. But, to you, they are very real. But, since those other people find the exact type of comfort, same type of intuitive knowledge that their religion is the truth, than maybe, all religions are not necessarily real, but, to the believer, seems real.

1. They have truth but it is not divinely revealed truth about salvation. Mostly it's human guesses at divine truth. Occasionally it's true but the whole is not the revelation intended by God.
2. Most other faiths have incoherent doctrines and historical absurdities but some truth. Most of them can't possibly be from a God worth believing in. They are logically invalid.
3. By beliefs rely on my spiritual experience for grounding. No other faith has even a fractional amount of doctrine or claims to experiencing a deity compared with Christianity. We have a virtually monopoly of divine experience. In 20 years of debate I have (and I look hard for them) had a single person of another faith claim divine experience. Many claim they know a guy who has (but can never produce them). There might be a million born again Christians for every single enlightened guru in Hinduism and Islam is not even on the map.
4. If I had not experienced the divine I would not have a fraction of the faith in my beliefs I do. That is the experiences purpose. To prove the foundations for the rest of doctrine and to rectify unmistakably what went so horribly wrong. Other faiths only have beliefs which they cannot verify until too late to realize the mistake.

And that's part of what we are arguing. Your "mountains" of evidence aren't all that convincing. A basic problem on why the Bible can't be trusted is the flood. When does the Bible say it happened? Can it be proven? If it could, I'd believe. 4000 or so years ago, there was only Noah and his family? And all of humanity came from them? Couldn't some DNA testing or something confirm such a thing? All the animals that survived were on the ark and scattered through out the world? Their migration seems like it should be traceable. But if not, then what are those stories? Real or myth? If myth, then what is God? Real or something we hope is there?

1. I only remember answering questions. I don't remember even beginning the first foot hill of evidence.
2. There is much evidence for a literal flood. However it is not central to faith. If anyone honestly wants to verify the validity of Christian claims they would start with it's core claims and ones recent enough to have good historical evidence. The evidence for Christ is overwhelming, the flood underwhelming. Personally I don't know whether a analogy, a local flood, or a world flood is intended nor why it matters to my faith in Christ.
3. I will answer questions about the flood by pre-historical events are almost impossible to have certainty about once we have evaluated the infinitely better and more important events in Christ's ministry if you want to concentrate on evidence instead of a battery of objections in question form.

kjw47

I'm sorry, what?

Christians did have slaves.

What appears and is told to you is Christian--doesn't make it truth--Matt 7:21-23-- these teachers--2Cor 11:12-15

true Christianity died( for the most part) back when--Jesus, apostles, Christians were all murdered.
Jesus' real teachers came back, here in these last days-Daniel 12:4) and corrected the errors made by Christendom.

kjw47

Hi Ingledsva, These teachers allowed the owning of slaves--2Cor 11:12-15-- teachers of darkness making it look like light, even by using God, love, sharing to mislead.
In reality wolves in sheeps clothing--not true followers of Jesus--Faux followers.
One does not want to listen to these teachers.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
I thought you meant US slavery. Your right about the OT in the most part. You said Christian and there were no Christians in the OT. Almost every known occurrence of "slavery" in Israel was voluntary debt servitude. The word slavery comes with 19th century baggage that has little relevance to the OT.

We have shown over and over that this is not true.

They could not own other Hebrew.

They could own any other nation's people - as slaves - forever - breeding them for more slaves - and passing them on as an inheritance to their children!

Lev 25:44-46 As for your male and female slaves whom you may have: you may buy male and female slaves from among the nations that are around you. You may also buy from among the strangers who sojourn with you and their clans that are with you, who have been born in your land, and they may be your property. You may bequeath them to your sons after you to inherit as a possession forever. You may make slaves of them, but over your brothers the people of Israel you shall not rule, one over another ruthlessly.

Exo 21:2-4 When you buy a Hebrew slave, he (MALE ONLY) shall serve six years, and in the seventh he shall go out free, for nothing. If he comes in single, he shall go out single; if he comes in married, then his wife shall go out with him
If his master have given him a woman (RAPE breeding), and she have born him sons or daughters; the woman and her children shall be her master's, and he shall go out by himself.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
Hi Ingledsva, These teachers allowed the owning of slaves--2Cor 11:12-15-- teachers of darkness making it look like light, even by using God, love, sharing to mislead.
In reality wolves in sheeps clothing--not true followers of Jesus--Faux followers.
One does not want to listen to these teachers.

None the less - we are talking about FACTS. Christians did own slaves, right up to the Civil War, in America.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
We have shown over and over that this is not true.

They could not own other Hebrew.

They could own any other nation's people - as slaves - forever - breeding them for more slaves - and passing them on as an inheritance to their children!

If his master have given him a woman (RAPE breeding), and she have born him sons or daughters; the woman and her children shall be her master's, and he shall go out by himself.
I was talking about evidence for actually slavery not about what principles slaves might be taken under. Despite being allowed to do so, I know of no document or evidence of any case of the slavery you refer to. I am sure it occurred as I am sure it was very uncommon. I believe we have previously covered everything relevant to this.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
I was talking about evidence for actually slavery not about what principles slaves might be taken under. Despite being allowed to do so, I know of no document or evidence of any case of the slavery you refer to. I am sure it occurred as I am sure it was very uncommon. I believe we have previously covered everything relevant to this.

This is wrong and you know it.

Not only could they own these slaves forever, they could also own concubines (sex slaves) forever, and they could own war booty slaves forever, and we know from the Bible they warred constantly.