• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Dont Christians Accept the Book of Mormon as Valid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptainXeroid

Following Christ
*** MOD POST ***

Several posts were moderated or deleted. Keep future posts on the topic and off the personal commentary so this thread can remain open.

Got a problem with another user, take it to PM. Got a question, hit the PM link. Thank you.

Bishka

Veteran Member
This forum i see so much contention, so much idiocracy, hypocrisy, sick-minded and perverted attitudes, it's hard to feel the spirit reading a forum, when i want to feel the spirit i go to the ldstalk forums because there they actually talk about gospel doctrine and other such things that invite a good spirit.

So only among places with pure Latter-day Saints can we feel the Spirit? :cover::no:

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
So only among places with pure Latter-day Saints can we feel the Spirit? :cover::no:
Amen sister! This reminds me of a "Scoutmaster Minute" I have told in the past. A man moving to town one day stopped at a gas station on the out skirts of town. "What are the townspeople like here?" he asked the attendant. "How were they where you came from?" "They were the finest people you could ever meet, so considerate and loving. I just hated to leave!" "Well, have no fear, they are just like that here."

A few minutes later another new comer to the town stopped at the same gas station and asked the same question. "How were they where you came from?" "They were the worst people you could ever meet, so spiteful and always trying to cheat you. I just had to leave!" "Unfortunately my friend, they are just like that here."

The concept of karma is universal. So often, you will find the same people over and over again, no matter where you go. If you LOOK for the good in people, you will find it. However, if you find fault in others different from yourself, then you will rarely be happy!

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
What purpose does repentance serve then?

What purpose does the judgement serve then?
judgment serves to pull us up short, so that we can see where we're lacking. Repentence serves to put us back on the right track. But judgment and repentance are not antecedent to slavation. They are consequent to it. "Unsaved" people don't feel a need to repent or for judgment.

sojourner

I agree with you about things beig relevant, but i won't compromise my own values and what i know to be true and correct to spare someone else's feelings.
So, what you're saying is that Jesus' mandate for us to be kind and forbearing toward others does not lie within the realm of "your values?"

sojourner

because watering some things down changes it's meaning. some things yes, they can be made to sound more tactful, but for the most part, it changes the whole meaning and makes it sould like they're just flattering people.
Perhaps meaning needs to be changed. Isn't that what Jesus was trying to do with the concept of "righteousness?"

sojourner

and on that note, you basically get the reward of whatever you put into it. if you put everything you have into it, your reward will be much greater than someone who casually did it.
That's contradictory to the parable of the men who worked all day and the men who only worked a couple of hours, but got the same pay...

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
If you are rewarded for getting to the winning post and ringing the bell.
It does not matter how long or how difficult it was to get there.
Though perhaps the difficulty we have on the way makes us more certain to get there.

Scott1

Although I'm quite tired of the thread and the subject.... I just wanted to jump on and say thank you to everyone who contributed on both sides.... gave me great stuff to think about and study.... but more importantly, thanks to all who continued on with my baseball metaphor!!!

Peace to all,
S

madhatter85

Transhumanist
Archaeology and the Book of Mormon

Given the inherent advantages (cultural continuity, toponyms, etc.) of Old World studies compared to New World studies, it's interesting to note some recently discovered correlations between the early chapters of the Book of Mormon and the archaeological record of the Old World in ways that would have been unknown at the time the book was translated. In other words, it is impossible that Joseph Smith could have known any of the Old World archaeological finds that have come to light since his death--finds that do not contradict the Book of Mormon and, in many instances, are consistent with its stories.
Consider, for instance, a recently discovered altar in Yemen that is consistent with a story related in the Book of Mormon. This altar, discovered by non-LDS archaeologists, has the tribal name of NHM carved into it. The altar is located in the same vicinity in which the Book of Mormon describes the Lehites stopping in Nahom to bury Ishmael, and dates from the same time period.18 Remember that the Hebrew language doesn't use vowels, and thus NHM could very likely be "Nahom."19 The name NHM does not just appear out of thin air either, but rather the location of an ancient NHM exists not only within the specific time of the Lehite journey, but also within a plausible location through which LDS scholars believe the Lehites traveled in Arabia before embarking on their voyage to the New World.
It is also worth noting that there is a growing body of evidence from New World archaeology that supports the Book of Mormon. Dr. John Clark of the New World Archaeological Foundation has compiled a list of sixty items mentioned in the Book of Mormon. The list includes items such as "steel swords," "barley," "cement," "thrones," and literacy. In 1842, only eight (or 13.3%) of those sixty items were confirmed by archaeological evidence. Thus, in the mid-nineteenth century, archaeology did not support the claims made by the Book of Mormon.
As the efforts of archaeology have shed light on the ancient New World, we find in 2005 that forty-five of those sixty items (75%) have been confirmed. Thirty-five of the items (58%) have been definitively confirmed by archaeological evidence and ten items (17%) have received possible--tentative, yet not fully verified--confirmation. Therefore, as things stand at the moment, current New World archaeological evidence tends to verify the claims made by the Book of Mormon.
Archaeological Evidence and the Book of Mormon

DeepShadow

White Crow
cause it's a forum, DS, simple it's a forum, I feel the spirit in church, and at home, when i read the scriptures, and in the company of good wholesome people wither they are members of the church or not.

I feel the Spirit a lot on these forums. That's part of the reason your posts are so jarring.

namguy

Why don't Christians accept the Book of Mormon to be true? It testifys of Christ our Savior, as the Messiah, the Great Mediator. And it's a solid Book, it has substance.

You don't believe there is any way that Christ would have appeared to his "Sheep of another fold" (mentioned in the bible) in the americas after his ressurection. Or that Both God and Christ would appear to a modern day prophet.

Yet, they believe that God, or even the "Mother Mary" would speak to 6 old women in Bosnia?

I'm curious to hear your thoughts on why you think the way you do.

I think it's ridiculous. 'Mother Mary' was an INSTRUMENT in Christs work. The Catholic Religion make things as they stroll along, non of which is Bibically true.

ladybug83

Like ChristineES said, I think it really comes down to people having different faiths, different beliefs. Even if a person agreed with the Book of Mormon or Joseph Smith, believing in it is a different story. To those of non-LDS faith, it could just be seen as another book and Joseph Smith as another name associated with a different religion.

On the other hand, I think it has a lot to do with the fact that it's so new (compared to other religions). I don't think people know how to trust something that hasn't been around for as long as the bible, and even that is still being disputed. I think one of the main reasons the Book of Mormon takes a backseat to the bible (and the LDS Church to, say, the Catholic Church) is because people have finally gotten used to Catholicism being around; people have accepted it even if they don't believe it.

Status
Not open for further replies.