• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Dont Christians Accept the Book of Mormon as Valid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
That's not an answer.
Sure it is. You just didn't like it.

ANYONE can follow the teachings of Jesus Christ.... even those who all the while believe he was no more than a "nice character in a good story" ...... these people must be Christians as well, right?
I'd say that if a person is consciously following the teachings of Jesus Christ and considers Himself to be a Christian, he is a Christian. If a Buddhist or a Hindu tries to live in accordance to what he personally believes to be true, he is still a Buddhist or a Hindu, regardless of whether Christians would judge his behavior as "Christ-like." It seems to me that if a person sees Jesus Christ as a role model and describes himself as a follower of Christ, he is justified in calling himself a Christian. Jesus did say, "By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples... that ye have love one to another." I would rather be known as a disciple of Christ than as a Christian if I had to choose between the two.

DeepShadow

White Crow
Read em all... the good, bad, and the ugly.... remember it's me.... I've been on this rodeo once or twice before my friend.

Of course, but after all the jerks have had their nibbles at you and yours, I thought it might be good to review some of the nice things. It might be good stuff to ward off people who enter battle with swords drawn and wits sheathed.

What is the difference?

The atheist follows the teachings of Christ because they are good ideas. The "Christian" follows the teachings of Christ because Christ said so...therefore they must be good ideas.

Like I said, I didn't write the book. Frankly, it disturbs me how little character a person can have while still remaining "Christian" in the world's eyes. But if I said I was not Christian, I would be seen as worse than that. Go figure.

Scott1

The atheist follows the teachings of Christ because they are good ideas. The "Christian" follows the teachings of Christ because Christ said so...therefore they must be good ideas.
Ahah!.....

Now WHY must they be good ideas?

BECAUSE OF WHO CHRIST WAS.

Now we are back to square one.:D

Love ya buddy... thanks for the good natured chat... looking forward to more.

DeepShadow

White Crow
Ahah!.....

Now WHY must they be good ideas?

BECAUSE OF WHO CHRIST WAS.

Again, are you going to parse that for everyone else we meet on the forums?

Now we are back to square one.:D

Tell me about it. The world's definition of Christianity is messed up. But the bottom line is that if we don't adhere to it, that just creates more confusion.

I can accept that according to your definition, I'm not Christian. When the world starts using your definition, I'll stop claiming to be Christian.

Love ya buddy... thanks for the good natured chat... looking forward to more.

Cool!:D Where to now?

DeepShadow

White Crow
I seem to recall a similar thing happening to early Christians. The Romans said they were atheists because they didn't believe in the Roman pantheon. Help me out here, am I ringing a bell?

Edit: Maybe that should be another thread, too. Back on topic, I accept your rejection of us as Christian, within the definition you use.

Bathsheba

**{{}}**
And yes, based on that definition, I find the OP and thread title to be a mess. One that I seem morally impelled to clean up. Again and again.

I'm just getting to know you, but for some reason I found this last sentence of yours quite appealing, it almost made me laugh, but in a good way. I guess it is because of my perception that you have this charming enthusiasm for what you hold dear and you don't seem like a butt head - those are ingredients for a good fellow.

I've never appreciated why other Christians say that Mormons aren't Christian; it always struck me as such a non-issue. Perhaps I have been too apathetic to really learn about the arguments.

Scott1

Again, are you going to parse that for everyone else we meet on the forums?
You seem to have missed my point....

You said that a Christian follows Christ because "Christ said so therefore they must be good ideas."

.... but failed to explain why they MUST BE GOOD IDEAS if Christ said so... who cares what Christ said... he could have been a crazy loon... being a Christian is about following his teachings...... but why? ..... because of Christ.... why? ... because Christ said so.... and around and around and around.

Circular in shape dontcha think?

You've please gotta explain to me why you follow the teachings of Christ if WHO HE IS DOES NOT MATTER.... only his teachings.

Kinda hard to do... let me know what you come up with.

Bathsheba

**{{}}**
You've please gotta explain to me why you follow the teachings of Christ if WHO HE IS DOES NOT MATTER.... only his teachings.

Is DS really saying that? Or maybe I should ask, is that really official LDS doctrine?

Don't get really mad at me, I have hardly followed along this thread, so I might be sticking my foot in my mouth.

It was my understanding that mormons follow the teachings of christ because they believe jesus is their lord and saviour. Does it get more complicated than that?

Scott1

It was my understanding that mormons follow the teachings of christ because they believe jesus is their lord and saviour. Does it get more complicated than that?
Well.... yes... more complicated, that is.

I'm wondering WHY Jesus is their lord and savior... it relates to the question of WHO Jesus was... his nature or being.... there is a LDS answer and a orthodox Christian answer -------- and the difference in the answer is the reason orthodox Christians do not recognize the faith of the LDS as "Christian".

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Well.... yes... more complicated, that is.

I'm wondering WHY Jesus is their lord and savior... it relates to the question of WHO Jesus was... his nature or being.... there is a LDS answer and a orthodox Christian answer -------- and the difference in the answer is the reason orthodox Christians do not recognize the faith of the LDS as "Christian".
His nature is divine. His being is love, light and truth.

Scott1

Why does Christ have to be complicated?
The most important figure in the history of the world.... bound to be a bit complex.... sucks don't it... I do wish he was more clear about things... would have made it a lot easier on his followers.

DeepShadow

White Crow
You seem to have missed my point....

I don't think so. I think I understand your point, I just think it's not mine to answer. The world has a screwy definition, and you and I just deal with that differently.

You said that a Christian follows Christ because "Christ said so therefore they must be good ideas."

I said that the world says that. I know that sounds convoluted, but latecomers (like Bathsheba) are getting confused.

.... but failed to explain why they MUST BE GOOD IDEAS if Christ said so... who cares what Christ said... he could have been a crazy loon... being a Christian is about following his teachings...... but why? ..... because of Christ.... why? ... because Christ said so.... and around and around and around.

Circular in shape dontcha think?

Absolutely, but it gets worse. See, I have a coworker who attends a Lutheran church, plays the bells every Sunday, and is otherwise active. In our conversations, she's made it pretty dang clear that she thinks Christ was a teacher only, that the virgin birth is a myth (one that she perpetuates to her daughter, like Santa Claus), and that she really goes to church for social reasons.

In the eyes of the world, she's a Christian. If I were (God forbid, seriously) put in a position of assigning a label to her beliefs, I'd say she was an atheist, agnostic, or maybe a deist.

You've got me. Can't you understand what we'd be doing to ourselves if we said we were not Christian?

Scott1

I don't think so. I think I understand your point, I just think it's not mine to answer. The world has a screwy definition, and you and I just deal with that differently.
Gotcha
In the eyes of the world, she's a Christian. If I were (God forbid, seriously) put in a position of assigning a label to her beliefs, I'd say she was an atheist, agnostic, or maybe a deist.
Again with the eyes of the world thing.... let's just stick to you and me, huh? I don't think she's a Christian at all.... and it seems that anyone who got to know her and her beliefs would come to that conclusion....pretty straightforward I think.
You've got me. Can't you understand what we'd be doing to ourselves if we said we were not Christian?
Yeah.... I get ya... can't really put that Genie back in the bottle without confusing 99% of the planet.... oh well.... I really thought we were gonna solve it here on this thread.... hehe

Your brother Christian :D,
Scott

Bishka

Veteran Member
The most important figure in the history of the world.... bound to be a bit complex.... sucks don't it... I do wish he was more clear about things... would have made it a lot easier on his followers.

Not really. Christ doesn't have to be so complex, some people just make Him that way.

Scott1

Not really. Christ doesn't have to be so complex, some people just make Him that way.
Well... that's easier said than done.... I could ask you half a dozen simple questions about Christ and from that we could spend weeks going over every detail if you had ANY interest in teaching me your faith.

Simple is a cute ideal.... but complex is what we need when we wish to share our faith with others... something I'm pretty sure LDS members do....

All that rigorous training in primary and in your wards-----> not exactly simple.;) Right?

Status
Not open for further replies.