• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why don't some people like being created?

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
What if you don't use the intelligence in other areas? I've heard that not using your ability to reason can lead to embracing some really silly things - like espousing that creationism should be taught in science classes, or that evolution is not science.

Can you imagine not using your intelligence that badly? Wouldn't that be embarassing?
Perhaps Creationism should be referred to as "The Big Faux Pas";)

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I like it, the idea of my family being a special creation thousands of years ago, and being related to every other living human on the planet.

Why don't some people like this concept?
It's not realistic and that is why it is problematic. My suspicion is that these attitudes are rooted in a deep insecurity and distrust of our natural grace. That grace is what connects us to all other beings and it is when this grace is supplanted with illusory ideas of special status that we create a disconnect from the very root of our being. It is because we are disconnected that we, in turn, create gods to fills that void, that hole in our being. If only people could learn to trust their nature and reconnect with all that is, our troubles here would be considerably diminished.

Walkntune

Can you imagine not using your intelligence that badly? Wouldn't that be embarassing?

I guess not any more embarrassing then watching science change through the years! They used to laugh at people wanting to fly in the air in machines! It just wasn't logical!
The herd does follow along though!

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology
I guess not any more embarrassing then watching science change through the years!

Help me out here, Walkntune. When you say that science has changed through the years, are you referring to the scientific method itself (assuming that you know what that is), or are you talking about the explanations of the natural universe that science embraces?

Please tell me that you understand the difference between incorporting new evidence in explaining what is happening around us, and the methodology used to verify that evidence (or lack thereof).

See, science is not embarrased when new evidence is discovered. Unlike religion, there is no need to act as if mankind is already perfect, nor any reason to fear change. In science, the pursuit of knowledge is more important that deluding ourselves that we already know everything worth knowing.

They used to laugh at people wanting to fly in the air in machines! It just wasn't logical! The herd does follow along though!
Come on, Walkntune. You do realize that people thought you could sail off the edge of the world too - but it was science - not religion - that laid that myth to rest. It is always science - and never religion - that expands our base of knowledge. Or perhaps you would dispute that statement?

If so, we can start a thread in the debate section, so that you can dazzle us with your evidence to support such a claim.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
I guess not any more embarrassing then watching science change through the years! They used to laugh at people wanting to fly in the air in machines! It just wasn't logical!
The herd does follow along though!
The fact that science changes over the years is evidence of the success of science.
Rather than stagnate is dogma, science changes as new knowledge is gained.
The only embarrassment is the dogmatic adherence to superstition and ignoring the world as it changes around you.

tarasan

Help me out here, Walkntune. When you say that science has changed through the years, are you referring to the scientific method itself (assuming that you know what that is), or are you talking about the explanations of the natural universe that science embraces?

Please tell me that you understand the difference between incorporting new evidence in explaining what is happening around us, and the methodology used to verify that evidence (or lack thereof).

See, science is not embarrased when new evidence is discovered. Unlike religion, there is no need to act as if mankind is already perfect, nor any reason to fear change. In science, the pursuit of knowledge is more important that deluding ourselves that we already know everything worth knowing.

Come on, Walkntune. You do realize that people thought you could sail off the edge of the world too - but it was science - not religion - that laid that myth to rest. It is always science - and never religion - that expands our base of knowledge. Or perhaps you would dispute that statement?

If so, we can start a thread in the debate section, so that you can dazzle us with your evidence to support such a claim.

Would you say that religion has been the cause that allowed science to make the discovery? for example like the monks who took care of the sick in the monestaries, or perhaps the urge that drove people to make discoveries? I just want you to define it a little more for the sake of my curioisty Im not trying to trap you.:) I know its a little off topic.

Also What do you mean by discovery, because could you say it was religion that discovered spirituality, or am I going to far/misunderstanding?

RedOne77

You do realize that people thought you could sail off the edge of the world too - but it was science - not religion - that laid that myth to rest. It is always science - and never religion - that expands our base of knowledge. Or perhaps you would dispute that statement?

Sure, I'll dispute it. It wasn't science or religion that taught us the Earth is round, it was Greek mathematics!
Sorry, I just couldn't resist. :D

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology
Would you say that religion has been the cause that allowed science to make the discovery? for example like the monks who took care of the sick in the monestaries, or perhaps the urge that drove people to make discoveries? I just want you to define it a little more for the sake of my curioisty Im not trying to trap you.:) I know its a little off topic.
In my opinion, science has arisen in spite of the efforts of the religious leaders throughout history, rather than because of them. I'm sure that there have been times in the past where a religious leader has aided in the search for knowledge, but overall, the record tells us that religious leaders have not only stunted the pursuit of knowledge, but have openly punished those that participated in the chase. It isn't religion per se, but the leaders of the various religions that have historically tried to retard the pursuit of knowledge. Galileo and Darwin are two of the best examples of this - but there are tons of others.

It is no accident that the time when science was crushed in the effort to maintain religious authority is known as "The Dark Ages", and the era beginning with the advent of the scientific method is known as "The Age of Reason".

Some countries in the Middle East currently suffer from just this situation. Theocracies that insist on following Islam (or any other religion) at the expense of knowledge will always suffer from this limitation.

Also What do you mean by discovery, because could you say it was religion that discovered spirituality, or am I going to far/misunderstanding?
I don't consider spirituality to be something that was discovered. Just as no one ever "discovered" love, desire, or anger - spirituality is simply an emotional response to the human condition. At least, that's my view of it. Perhaps one of the other members can state that in a better manner than I have.

Last edited:

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
"They will reign over the fish in the sea, the birds in the sky, the livestock, all the wild animals on the earth, and the small animals that scurry along the ground."
God
"And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the LORD. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them. "
God?

Walkntune

Come on, Walkntune. You do realize that people thought you could sail off the edge of the world too - but it was science - not religion - that laid that myth to rest
. It is always science - and never religion - that expands our base of knowledge. Or perhaps you would dispute that statement?

OK come on lets be real!!! It is only those who step out in intuition and open up there awareness to possibilities (not trying to make reality line up with there own methods) that advance knowledge.
Mainstream science comes along after the facts to pick up the glory.
Logic follows awareness! Awareness does not follow logic!

That underlined was the science of the day, not the religion !

Last edited:

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology
Sure, I'll dispute it. It wasn't science or religion that taught us the Earth is round, it was Greek mathematics!
Sorry, I just couldn't resist. :D

No.
Upon noticing that one could see the tops of the sails of ships far out to sea, but not the hulls, a prediction that the earth was not flat was made (observation).
It was Greek mathematics that postulated the idea that the earth's surface was curved (hypothesis).
It was the captains of ships that sailed over the curvature of the earth (testing the prediction).
It was the safe return of those ships (collecting the evidence) that confirmed the accuracy of the hypothesis.

And THAT, my friend, is what we know as the scientific method. Granted, it was not called that at the time, but it was the methodology just the same.