• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Exist?

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Still believing people have decisions, I'm changing my answer to: My dad and mom wanted kids.

atanu

Premium Member
It is what it is, or basically what I'm trying to say is one exist because one exist.

Okay.

My mother and my father did the nasty.

This is the most common answer. Then, if life is bad -- suppose one is a criminal, then daddy-mommy are to be blamed. OTOH, if the going is good then the good things must be those taht are due to me? Is it like this?

Further, how does above gel with the statement below?

I think my purpose is to make my own purpose.

Thank you for the answers.

Last edited:

atanu

Premium Member
That doesn't mean that it's completely random. A machine runs just fine without a consciousness, and for the most part, it's ordered.

But a machine without maintenance disintegrates. And a machine has a beginning. If a beginning is assumed for the universe of our experience, then there are problems. A singularity situation is very very very difficult to come into being.

atanu

Premium Member
Because they mommy and daddy had sex and one of their daddy's sperm fertilized their mommy's egg.

That is the most common answer we have got. It seems the purpose is child making. Or the purpose is enjoying orgasmic bliss and the child is the unwanted product. Or we are simply child making machines who have no option.

You seem to be making the assumption that there is a "reason".

You seem to be making the assumption that there is a "purpose".

It is apparent only. Actually I am asking. If you say that there is no purpose, then that is a knowledge which goes against the appearance -- everyone seem to run after intent or purpose. Why are we running around with distress? Now, if you say that there is no purpose that would mean that you have arrived at an understanding.

Can arriving at an understanding be a purpose? Or did the understanding arise deterministically?

Last edited:

Straw Dog

Why does one exist? Does any individual know the reason for his/her coming into being? Does the individual know his/her purpose of being?

Does the one exist separate from the many existing? Does being exist without non-being? Does non-being even exist? What is the meaning of purpose of being without the presence of meaninglessness of purpose? I don't know. :shrug:

Last edited:

McBell

Admiral Obvious
That is the most common answer we have got. It seems the purpose is child making. Or the purpose is enjoying orgasmic bliss and the child is the unwanted product. Or we are simply child making machines who have no option.
You seem concerned with there being some universal all emcompassing purpose.
I have seen nor heard nothing to indicate that there is any such thing.

It is apparent only. Actually I am asking. If you say that there is no purpose, then that is a knowledge which goes against the appearance -- everyone seem to run after intent or purpose. Why are we running around with distress? Now, if you say that there is no purpose that would mean that you have arrived at an understanding.

Can arriving at an understanding be a purpose? Or did the understanding arose deterministically?
I am not saying there is no "purpose".
I am saying the "purpose" is per the individual.
Each person decides their "purpose" for themselves.

Renji

I am not saying there is no "purpose".
I am saying the "purpose" is per the individual.
Each person decides their "purpose" for themselves.

I agree with this. A person's "purpose" depends on that person. It is subjective.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Why does one exist? Does any individual know the reason for his/her coming into being? Does the individual know his/her purpose of being?

Picture yourself as God...yes you can.

Having created a universe, it becomes obvious....you are the First.
You are self aware, and the cause for all that you declared.
(universe...one word)

But for all that you have done so far...you are alone.
The universe responds to your will....your touch....
but it does not really 'respond'.

Creating spirit such as yourself, directly, is like talking to a mirror.

In the making of Man, a linear experience is made....'life'.
Each one of us is unique because of it.

There is no mystery about this existence.
You are here to learn all that you can.
Then, back to God you go.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
But a machine without maintenance disintegrates. And a machine has a beginning. If a beginning is assumed for the universe of our experience, then there are problems. A singularity situation is very very very difficult to come into being.
Humans without maintenance disintegrate, and disintegrate slowly regardless. Humans have beginnings (depending on your definition of "beginning" and "human" is).

Literally, yes. I agree:D

Symbolically, some say that we exist because of a 'purpose'. Whatever it is, it's for us to find out...
I guess this would come from the inability to tell the difference between discovery and invention.

SCHIZO

Picture yourself as God...yes you can.

Having created a universe, it becomes obvious....you are the First.
You are self aware, and the cause for all that you declared.
(universe...one word)

But for all that you have done so far...you are alone.
The universe responds to your will....your touch....
but it does not really 'respond'.

Creating spirit such as yourself, directly, is like talking to a mirror.

In the making of Man, a linear experience is made....'life'.
Each one of us is unique because of it.

There is no mystery about this existence.
You are here to learn all that you can.
Then, back to God you go.

I think it would be better if you said, to experience what you will. Learning is for the intelligent, but experience is open to everyone.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Your parents wanted kids and they got that. But is that the answer for "Why you are here"?
Each parent had a set of genetics, that combined. I'm the result of those genes, plus brain connections during early childhood and such.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I think it would be better if you said, to experience what you will. Learning is for the intelligent, but experience is open to everyone.

I will give that some thought.
At this moment...I have no objection.

atanu

Premium Member
Each parent had a set of genetics, that combined. I'm the result of those genes, plus brain connections during early childhood and such.

The combination is a mere chance then. Each one of us exist due to mere chance.

Can you explain 'brain connections' part?

Last edited:

Straw Dog

You keep bringing this up in different threads. I'm confused because isn't the act of learning also an experience? How can we consciously pursue anything in life without it being an experience? And why is learning only for the intelligent?

Last edited: