• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Exist?

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
but we don't know what the alternative is...
therefore we are not accountable to it's existence as we are to what we do know, our existence.

does that make sense?
I think the alternative in the idiom Revoltingest quoted is well known.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
I am pointing to the common opinion here: That one is here because father-mother's sex act. From that I am not drawing purpose for the universe but the pre-dilection of all (or most) individuals.
Fair enough.

Again each person's purpose seems to be only to create progeny, as per answers.
That is a rather interesting leap of logic.

How are you able to determine each persons "purpose" based solely on their answering how they go there?

atanu

Premium Member
Fair enough.

That is a rather interesting leap of logic.

How are you able to determine each persons "purpose" based solely on their answering how they go there?

It may be a leap for some but not in all cases.

Last edited:

atanu

Premium Member
If one exists simply because parents had sex (random or not), then one is helplessly here. Additionally, if the awareness is also the product of random interactions of chemicals etc., then our awareness is also helpless. Actually that is what some religions also teach ".... all beings are helplessly tied to a string and rotate like automatons".

OTOH, if body is alone the self, or if the brain alone is the self, then at the time of death, the body or the brain should be able to protest "Don't bury me. I want to live. " or "Don't cremate me. I want to live".

Last edited:

atanu

Premium Member
BACON?! Blasphemer! Everybody knows that sausage is the correct symbol for the universe. :yes:

Sorry for blaspheming your God -- the sausage.:sorry1:

But sausage again is the symbol. All that we do -- seek power, seek company, or seek knowledge -- we do for the sake of happiness of self. No one says: I do this to gain misery. Happiness of the self is the common goal and sausage or bacon or a nice piece of *** are all symbols.

PolyHedral

Superabacus Mystic
If one exists simply because parents had sex (random or not), then one is helplessly here. Additionally, if the awareness is also the product of random interactions of chemicals etc., then our awareness is also helpless. Actually that is what some religions also teach ".... all beings are helplessly tied to a string and rotate like automatons".

OTOH, if body is alone the self, or if the brain alone is the self, then at the time of death, the body or the brain should be able to protest "Don't bury me. I want to live. " or "Don't cremate me. I want to live".
Why? If the mind alone is the self, then the self is destroyed upon the brain ceasing to function.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Why? If the mind alone is the self, then the self is destroyed upon the brain ceasing to function.

I would ask you to prove that....but then it's a matter of faith....
and faith needs no proving.

The question you cannot answer would be....
if you go blind do you stop thinking or feeling?
if you lose your hearing?
your body fails to respond?
can't talk?
all of this at once?

I've seen a science documentary recently, and the doctors and physicists were trying to answer the question....
life without the body?

They had no definitive response.

Neither do you.

muffin8or

Grand Canoe Wizard
Does there need to be a purpose? A purpose implies intent by a greater being and there need not be one. Humans seem to be the only ones who fret about purpose. Other life forms just get on with it. It's our bigger brains that come up with this stuff to make us feel like there is something out there.

atanu

Premium Member
Does there need to be a purpose? A purpose implies intent by a greater being and there need not be one. Humans seem to be the only ones who fret about purpose. Other life forms just get on with it. It's our bigger brains that come up with this stuff to make us feel like there is something out there.

Why did you post?