• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Exist?

Bird123

Why does one exist? Does any individual know the reason for his/her coming into being? Does the individual know his/her purpose of being?
Let's not make things so complicated on this one. The answer is simple. Life is the education of God's children. Why does God have children??? Just like all parents know, God knows that kids make life Grand!!

St Giordano Bruno

We exist for the simple reason we cannot be aware of not existing such as not been born or being dead. It is only through the condition of existence we have any perception of time because there was something in the order of 13.7 billion years of time that elapsed between the big bang and one's birth and unless you were well informed through scientific testing and observation of the universe you would have absolutely no idea of knowing intuitively if the time before one's birth was just a few years to billions of years.

atanu

Premium Member
Speaking to One's Self, God would be tired of talking to His reflection.
(like talking to a mirror)
Angels tend to be 'yes' men.
-----
Man is a creation that will yield a fresh perspective on each occasion.

Act as you please....suffer the consequence.

Let's not make things so complicated on this one. The answer is simple. Life is the education of God's children. Why does God have children??? Just like all parents know, God knows that kids make life Grand!!

Of course. But these answers seem not to be from genuine enquiry of "Whence this I?" These answers are from book or from faith.

atanu

Premium Member
I see purpose as something that develops as a result of intelligent thought. If it is built-in to the life form, or that it is simply its nature to behave in a certain way, then I don't see that as purpose. So with regards to what were talking about, the natural state of something that exists wouldn't qualify as a purpose.

Thank you for this answer. I have a further query, at what point the thought, intelligent or not, develops?

Thank you for this answer. I have a further query, at what point the thought, intelligent or not, develops?

At the point it develops.

I think there is more to your question, though I dont know along what line your thinking.

atanu

Premium Member
At the point it develops.

Which is that? To me it is in present. I am aware and i can enquire about past and future. But the result of enquiry cannot falsify that "I am an aware being who is enquiring".

I think there is more to your question, though I dont know along what line your thinking.

:D Yes.

If a living being was just a body that resulted from sexual congress and if that body is the sole source of the awareness then art, science and culture have no real meaning. If awareness was a materail product then, how it is beyond the causal determinism and in that case, whatever magic the materials want us to believe we have no choice but to believe. And in such a case, how one determines what is truth? How my theory is any better than your theory?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Of course. But these answers seem not to be from genuine enquiry of "Whence this I?" These answers are from book or from faith.

That question is a bit more complex than the op question...'why exist?'.

My post was more to the creation of Man as a means to mold of clay....
fresh spirit and perspective.

Your last question is more like the occasion described in Job.

atanu

Premium Member
That question is a bit more complex than the op question...'why exist?'.

My post was more to the creation of Man as a means to mold of clay....
fresh spirit and perspective.

Your last question is more like the occasion described in Job.

:D Of course this is the fundamental one.

Which is that? To me it is in present. I am aware and i can enquire about past and future. But the result of enquiry cannot falsify that "I am an aware being who is enquiring"

Well, everything that happens is always in the present. The statement 'I am an aware being who is enquiring' is not necessarily true, as I see it. Consciousness/awareness may be just that. Our thoughts may be separate from our consciousness, as can our decisions and enquiries, etc. So, in this case, I may be aware that 839311's mind is making an enquiry, but I may not have any control over it.

*I did an extensive edit of this part so too bad if you read the first part cause Im retracting it!

If a living being was just a body that resulted from sexual congress and if that body is the sole source of the awareness then art, science and culture have no real meaning. If awareness was a materail product then, how it is beyond the causal determinism and in that case, whatever magic the materials want us to believe we have no choice but to believe.

I think I understand what your trying to say. If determinism is correct then everything we do is destined. Sure, its possible. Personally, I think its likely that it is true. Determinism is a very important part of my understanding.

And in such a case, how one determines what is truth?

In terms of determinism, we just have to hope that our minds are up to it lol.

How my theory is any better than your theory?

Some things are still better than others. For example, if a theory is known to be true then it is better than a theory that is known to be false.

Last edited:

heretic

Heretic Knight
I think the question should be answered by all those who has the main roles in one's existence . God , parents , myself

Talking on my parents side , I think having children is one of the life enjoys , parenting is an instinct and inner need inside everyone , if not on children may be on pets.

From God side , I think he created humanity because he wanted to love and to be loved and interested in, to parent and taking care of people, it’s God's essence to practice love and parenting, but gave us the free will and mind to choose it ourselves , and let us define what each individual purpose in life.

My purpose in life is to live with all who I love , build my own relationship with God.
And enjoy the seeking for him.

atanu

Premium Member
I think the question should be answered by all those who has the main roles in one's existence . God , parents , myself

Talking on my parents side , I think having children is one of the life enjoys , parenting is an instinct and inner need inside everyone , if not on children may be on pets.

From God side , I think he created humanity because he wanted to love and to be loved and interested in, to parent and taking care of people, it’s God's essence to practice love and parenting, but gave us the free will and mind to choose it ourselves , and let us define what each individual purpose in life.

My purpose in life is to live with all who I love , build my own relationship with God.
And enjoy the seeking for him.

IMO, this is a good post, which recognises different levels. But when i drill into it, i find that the intention is the same: To enjoy. In case of humans, the enjoyment seems to come in on-off states and that causes pain.

Last edited: