• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Exist?

Mycroft

Ministry of Serendipity
Why does one exist? Does any individual know the reason for his/her coming into being? Does the individual know his/her purpose of being?

I came into being because my parents did the sham-bam-doobly in an elevator. That is the only reason behind my birth.

The reason behind my life is that there is none except that which I make for myself: in this case to help people using the sciences.

JoStories

Why does one exist? Does any individual know the reason for his/her coming into being? Does the individual know his/her purpose of being?
I do. But in the venue, most would scoff. I believe we have a purpose and I will leave it at that.

atanu

Premium Member
Yeah, it's kind of troubling but maybe it's not that big of a deal. No one really knows. That question isn't answered anywhere, not even in religions that have all the answers. I mean you still won't know why your there even if there is an afterlife, even if it is explained by your religion that your soul existed before you were born. That just isn't something we are allowed to like, know. I guess in a way you might as well not even ask that.

Well, I believe that it is answered.

Maitrayana Brahmaya upanishad
There is the person in the eye, there is he who walks as in sleep, he who is sound asleep, and he who is above the sleeper: these are the four conditions (of the Self), and the fourth is greater than all.

Brahman with one foot moves in the three, and Brahman with three feet is in the last.

It is that both the true (in the fourth condition) and the untrue (in the three conditions) may have their dessert, that the Great Self (seems to) become two, yes, that he (seems to) become two.

In short, we need to answer first: Who exists?

Etritonakin

We exist to delight in what God created, and to create more to delight him and each other, and that we may all delight in each other.

God made the children of God so that love may increase.

John 10:10 The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly

Life is awesome -what other purpose could there possibly be?

However, that which will be infinitely enjoyable and awesome required a process of teaching us not to do that which causes the opposite -by experiencing the results of our ways.

amorphous_constellation

In short, we need to answer first: Who exists?

I'm not easily contemplating your riddle there. Who exists though? Well, we all exist I think. And so does the ground, and this door, and these cats and this computer. There must be a hidden law that great amounts of matter can be processed into existence from nothing. There simply has to be.

atanu

Premium Member
Namaste Atanu-Ji

Brahman alone exists. Still the 'why?' part of the question remains unanswered. Why would Brahman want to subject itself to Three states, which are but mithya?

Namaste Achintya Ji

The Maitryana Brahmaya up. passage (post 167), in my understanding answers why the great Self exists as Transcendental Turiya and also in three phenomenal states of sleep, dream, and waking.

Further, to think that Brahman subjects itself to three states is a bit wrong, IMO. Does a story writer or a film director subject himself/herself to the pains and joys of the characters of a story/film?

atanu

Premium Member
I'm not easily contemplating your riddle there. Who exists though? Well, we all exist I think. And so does the ground, and this door, and these cats and this computer. There must be a hidden law that great amounts of matter can be processed into existence from nothing. There simply has to be.

In dream also we process ungraspable mental matter into great many things.

Marisa

"Why" is a pointless question. I exist because my parents had a sex.

atanu

Premium Member
We exist to delight in what God created, and to create more to delight him and each other, and that we may all delight in each other.

God made the children of God so that love may increase.

John 10:10 The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly

Life is awesome -what other purpose could there possibly be?

However, that which will be infinitely enjoyable and awesome required a process of teaching us not to do that which causes the opposite -by experiencing the results of our ways.

I like this. I truly like it.

Probably, the Vedanta scripture puts it a bit differently. As per Vedanta, nothing is truly true other than Brahman-Godhead. So, the enjoyer of the transcendental unitive state (called the Turiya or the fourth) and variegated-multiform phenomenal states of dream and waking and the go-between deep sleep states are for its enjoyment .

From Maitrayana Brahmaya upanishad
There is the person in the eye, there is he who walks as in sleep, he who is sound asleep, and he who is above the sleeper: these are the four conditions (of the Self), and the fourth is greater than all.

Brahman with one foot moves in the three, and Brahman with three feet is in the last.

It is that both the true (in the fourth condition) and the untrue (in the three conditions) may have their dessert, that the Great Self (seems to) become two, yes, that he (seems to) become two.

FunctionalAtheist

Hammer of Reason
What do you mean by "why?"?

There are several causes which we could discuss to no end. I presume you mean what is the 'purpose' I exist? Is this correct?

By asking purpose, you are necessarily imposing subjectivity. Do you agree?

If my purpose is subjective, than it is necessarily the purpose of a sentient being. Do you agree?

If it is the the purpose of a sentient being, than it is either the purpose of a being other than myself (god if you care), or it is the purpose of myself. Do you agree?

If it is the purpose of a being other than myself, than you are wasting your time asking ME what my purpose of being is. Do you agree?

If it is my purpose, than it is whatever the hell I decide it is. Do you agree?

atanu

Premium Member
"Why" is a pointless question. I exist because my parents had a sex.

Profound. Lol.

(The above makes me ponder deeply though. I see cows, pigs and monkeys have sex. Why was I not born as a pig or a cow?? Chance? )

Unification

Higher intelligence and evolution.

To experience the eternal ride of being conscious.

A combination of my own will and a will not of my own. To love and to spread truth.