• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Exist?

atanu

Premium Member
You seem concerned with there being some universal all emcompassing purpose.
I have seen nor heard nothing to indicate that there is any such thing.

I am pointing to the common opinion here: That one is here because father-mother's sex act. From that I am not drawing purpose for the universe but the pre-dilection of all (or most) individuals.

I am not saying there is no "purpose".
I am saying the "purpose" is per the individual.
Each person decides their "purpose" for themselves.

Again each person's purpose seems to be only to create progeny, as per answers.

9Westy9

Sceptic, Libertarian, Egalitarian
Premium Member
Why does one exist? Does any individual know the reason for his/her coming into being? Does the individual know his/her purpose of being?

clearly not. The most I can tell is that my mother and father brought me into the world

waitasec

Veteran Member
I am pointing to the common opinion here: That one is here because father-mother's sex act. From that I am not drawing purpose for the universe but the pre-dilection of all (or most) individuals.

Again each person's purpose seems to be only to create progeny, as per answers.

can you explain your reasons for believing there is a purpose for existing?

animals exist...are they caught up in the why....
no...they just want to survive...

we have an extra sense, for lack of a better word, logic...
it's not always good to know so much, because then one is accountable for what they know...and we have no choice but to know...that we are.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Because the question, "Why am I here? Why do I exist?" exists.

it's not always good to know so much, because then one is accountable for what they know...and we have no choice but to know...that we are.
Interesting point. But we know we exist, so don't we make something, perhaps ourselves, accountable for that?

atanu

Premium Member
why ask why?

OK. Let's then ask 'why not?':eek:

animals exist...are they caught up in the why....
no...they just want to survive...

we have an extra sense, for lack of a better word, logic...

This is a good answer, IMO: individual purpose is to just survive.

rosie1

This is my simplistic take. I feel we exist because our species proprogates, and has the instinct to proprogate. Most species also have the instinct to continue living as long as they individually can.

Whether there is a force greater than ourselves that planted or caused all the life process to begin is a big focus of these forums; much debated and impossible to prove.

Is living real? Well, you do have senses. You can touch, feel, see, smell and think. So, I'd say we're real.

I had bacon this morning, so I'm good.

waitasec

Veteran Member
So then the question becomes, why is this rather than the alternative?

but we don't know what the alternative is...
therefore we are not accountable to it's existence as we are to what we do know, our existence.

does that make sense?

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The combination is a mere chance then. Each one of us exist due to mere chance.

Can you explain 'brain connections' part?
When a child is young, the network of neurons in the brain develops as they receive stimuli and interaction. Things like talking, reading, music, playing, and socializing are all important for the physical development of the brain.