• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why have Christians forgotten the fourth Commandment?

Are all Ten commandments binding?

• Total voters

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
The Sabbath has already started - Happy Sabbath! ...the evening and the morning..
Contrary to popular Christian Beliefs - the Bible teaches that a new day begins at sunset- not 12:00 midnight

You've hanging around with Scott again haven't you -of course I'll be here tomorrow :)

I'm very sorry to hear that.

If you want people to follow the laws, do you stone people who work on the Sabbath?

d.n.irvin

I'm very sorry to hear that.

If you want people to follow the laws, do you stone people who work on the Sabbath?
The Apostle Paul says, "Let every man be persuaded in his own mind," don't forget that Satan can use ANY combination of Truth and Lies. God can only use the Truth. Let the scriptures guide you, ask God to send the Holy Spirit to teach you what is truth, humble yourself, ask God for the ability to discern truth from lies, He won't let you down.
I don't want you to do anything -but tell the truth

d.n.irvin

So that's it.... I guess some believe that God cares more about WHEN you worship than about HOW you worship.

Two sides of the same coin

Like I said, this is a first for me.... I wonder if there will be an off-shoot of this group that wants everyone to worship at a specific time... maybe the Seventh Day-3 o'clock Adventists.....:D

Truth Can Withstand Investigation

Draka

Wonder Woman
I don't know about all this. I mean, the whole thing revolves on the idea that Genesis was a literal account of the beginning of time. If you have had any science class in your life then you know it to be impossible for that to be. So one must either look at it as a nice metaphorical story to try to explain how it all happened, or you look at it along the lines of a day equaling many thousands and millions of years.

d.n.irwin said:
Draka has made a way for me to point out the fact that the Bible warns us about people trying to take away Gods sovereignty by - by substituting Genesis as a literal account with evolution(i assume thats what you meant by "millions of years".)
If you take away Creation, you allow for any number of theories about life to be possible.

I do have a question for you Draka, Haven't you ever wondered how one could possibly date "sedimentary rock"?, you know the the rock in which fossil remains reside.

Firstly, perhaps I should have mentioned "billions" of years. Since the Earth is approximately 4.5 billion years old. Secondly, I don't have to wonder much as I happen to have taken plenty of Earth and Environmental Science courses while in college. But you don't have to do that if you don't want to really. Turn on the Discovery Channel every once and a while and learn some science.

Draka said:
"What is a day to God?"

Time was kept very differently in the bible. Very differently. Just look at all the people's life expectencies. People living for supposedly hundreds of years, when we know that our life expectencies have actually increased, not decreased throughout time. We have certainly never lived for hundreds of years. So how is it that one day can be equal to millions of years, while at the same time, one year may only be equivolent to a matter of months in terms of people's lives?

d.n.irwin said:
Humor me, God has just made Adam- Perfect- Adam has also eaten from the Tree of Life, ( Revelation tells us we will eat of this tree) Adam falls- sin comes into the world- So God cuts off the Tree of Life so that Adam won't live forever in his sin-
My point is - Why wouldn't Adam and his offspring not be able to live 1000 years- God just made you - He surely didn't make you to die

Sorry, I don't recall anyone living for thousands of years. Perhaps you are reading a different bible than me. The oldest I can recall was Methuselah and he made it to supposedly 969 years old. Which, if you actually divide that by 12 months to a year, assuming that they were counting by a lunar calendar instead of a solar one, then that would make him approximately 80.75 years old. Considering the time that would be considered near ancient as average life expectencies rarely got past maybe 40 to 50 during that era of time.

Also, as I have pointed out, our life expectencies have been increasing over these many many thousands of years...not decreasing. It would make absolutely no sense to go from living hundreds of years to mere decades. That would hint towards a de-evolution of the human race of some sort.

Draka said:
Days, weeks, months, and years seem to be all very subjective in the bible. There is no consistency when it has referred to any increment of time. So, therefore, how can anyone solidly base a certain day or time that we know of now to be the exact day or time referred to in the bible? It is clearly impossible to do so.

I would like to respectfully challenge that statement in a few posts.

1In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
5And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day. Gen.1:1,5
And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made. 3And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made Gen. 2:1-3

Happy Sabbath

You have not challenged what I said. You merely quoted from what I have already pointed out to as not able to be taken literally. What is your actual argument?

Booko

Deviled Hen
The Sabbath has already started - Happy Sabbath! ...the evening and the morning..

Good Shabbos!

Contrary to popular Christian Beliefs - the Bible teaches that a new day begins at sunset- not 12:00 midnight

As is the custom for Jews, Muslims and Baha'is. If the Orthodox use the same timing, I'm sure James will mention it, and I wouldn't be surprised if they did. I thought the midnight thing was a Roman custom.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
I wonder how all the missing days factor into his theory...

One example is that on [FONT=Trebuchet MS, arial, helvetica][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]September 2, 1752, the next 11 days would be 'deleted.'
They went to sleep the night of the second and woke up on [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, arial, helvetica][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]September 14, 1752.
This was in the British Isles.
[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, arial, helvetica][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]And even then they were behind others who had already done so: France in 1582, Austria in 1584, and Norway in 1700.

[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]Genealogists, especially those just starting out on their quest for ancestors, need to double-check dates found in English-speaking countries between 1582 and 1752. Are these dates listed as O.S.(Old Style) or N.S.(New Style)? Is there a date listed as 1750/51? That means it would have probably been between January 1 and March 24, which means that 1750 is the old-style notation and 1751, the new one. These double dates occur only in January, February and March--never in any other months and never after 1752. [/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, arial, helvetica][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]In addition, dates in the 17th century frequently have the month indicated by its number rather than its name. This was because most of the months had Roman or "pagan" names and the Puritans and Quakers disliked them. Since March was considered the first month of the year before 1752, a date before that might read like this: "13th, 2nd mo:1683." This becomes "13 April 1683."

Generally, the day came first and the month second, but to be sure, genealogists make sure by comparing the date with others in the same record.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]Frequently, this change in the calendar will explain the birth of two children apparently within too short a period. Thus, if a researcher finds that Joshua and Rachel Smith had a daughter Mary, born 22 March 1638, and from another record a son, Henry, born 27 February 1639, it would seem that they were born 28 days apart, but were actually born 11 months apart, according to old and new-style dating.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, arial, helvetica]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]Source
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

d.n.irvin

I wonder how all the missing days factor into his theory...

One example is that on [FONT=Trebuchet MS, arial, helvetica][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]September 2, 1752, the next 11 days would be 'deleted.'
They went to sleep the night of the second and woke up on [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, arial, helvetica][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]September 14, 1752.
This was in the British Isles.
[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, arial, helvetica][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]And even then they were behind others who had already done so: France in 1582, Austria in 1584, and Norway in 1700.

[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, arial, helvetica]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]Source
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
The calendar has not been changed so as to confuse the days of the week. We can be positive that our seventh day is the same day Jesus observed when He was here. Pope Gregory XIII did make a calendar change in 1582, but it did not interfere with the weekly cycle. Our present Gregorian calendar was named after him when he made that small change in 1582.

What did Pope Gregory do to the calendar? Before 1582 the Julian calendar had been in effect, instituted by Julius Caesar about 46 B.C. and named after him. But the Julian calendar had calculated the length of the year as 365 1/4 days, and the year is actually eleven minutes less than 365 1/4 days. Those eleven minutes accumulated, and by 1582 the numbering of the calendar was ten days out of harmony with the solar system. Gregory simply dropped those ten days out of the numbering of the calendar. It was Thursday, October 4, 1582, and the next day, Friday, should have been October 5. But Gregory made it October 15 instead, dropping exactly ten days to bring the calendar back into harmony with the heavenly bodies.
Sabbath Questions/The calender has been changed/Sabbathtruth.org
Lets keep our on formation current.

Draka

Wonder Woman
Lets keep our on formation current.

How about keeping our information from scientific and substantiated sources, instead of sources such as the site you mention which have a bias interest in what they will and will not report so that they can perpetuate their beliefs.

If the "Truth can withstand investigation" like you so often like to say, then having scientific sources and information used to investigate your claims should be be of no worry to you. Trying to debate them with clearly biased sources does nothing to support your claim.

d.n.irvin

Let's keep our information from scientifically proven and substantiated sources instead of biblical sources such as the site you listed, which only try to perpertrate their own information to back their beliefs.
Don't take my word for it ~
Investigate it for yourself ~check out the library if you don't have the internet

Draka

Wonder Woman
Investigate it for yourself ~check out the library if you don't have the internet

:rolleyes: Nope, I don't have the internet, I'm typing this in my head and sending it telepathically to another poster who logs in under my name to post for me.:rolleyes:

You have not sufficiently reponded to my previous posts. It appears that I am not the one in need of doing some research and investigation. Like I already mentioned, I learned what I needed to understand the time line while in college. Care for me to reach behind me and pull my science texts from the shelf and quote you some information? Or would you merely try to refute it with a biased site?

d.n.irvin

:rolleyes: Nope, I don't have the internet, I'm typing this in my head and sending it telepathically to another poster who logs in under my name to post for me.:rolleyes:

You have not sufficiently reponded to my previous posts. It appears that I am not the one in need of doing some research and investigation. Like I already mentioned, I learned what I needed to understand the time line while in college. Care for me to reach behind me and pull my science texts from the shelf and quote you some information? Or would you merely try to refute it with a biased site?

What makes your information not biased?:sarcastic

Booko

Deviled Hen

The truth comes out: Draka is a sockpuppet! :D

It's like the conversations I have with people who want to deny some finding in science and then get upset when you can't explain the methodology in 25 words or less. :areyoucra

Booko

Deviled Hen
I could tell you that chickens are hairy. Just because it appears in print on this website doesn't make it true. If one is smart, they'll identify the evidence for a claim. If they aren't....well...then they just accept things at face value.

This one looks *kinda* hairy:

443132846_de33f8590a_o.jpg

Sorry, couldn't resist. :fork:

OK, so call it an "example of evidence."

Besides, what does the naval observatory know about the history of calendars..? :confused: Shouldn't they be busy watching the ocean?

Actually the naval observatory watches the stars, because that's how ships (used to) navigate. Now many use GPS.

Booko

Deviled Hen
Revelation 12:17 And the dragon [devil] was wroth with the woman [the church], and went to make war with the remnant of her seed [faithful during the end time], which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.

You have inserted your own opinions into Holy Scripture without identifying them as such.

You should not be messing around with the Word of God.

Do I really need to quote the verse that says what happens to people who change Scripture?

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
This one looks *kinda* hairy:

443132846_de33f8590a_o.jpg

Sorry, couldn't resist. :fork:

OK, so call it an "example of evidence."

Hahaha!
That was just the first thing that came to mind, since I watch too much Eddie Izzard :D

That chicken is totally adorable though

Actually the naval observatory watches the stars, because that's how ships (used to) navigate. Now many use GPS.
I know that, but really, how much information did they have in the 1930's about the calendar systems of ancient cultures? Especially since some of the discoveries were made after the fact. A statement from the UNO from 1932 is hardly evidence of anything, except that it's what they believed at the time. Anthropological and archaeological evidence has uncovered much more since then...

Booko

Deviled Hen
Most seventh day adventists I've met are like that. Their biggest goal seems to be to make sure everyone in Christendom follows the sabbath the way they do.

Bizzarre. It's just like the petty legalism that Jesus railed against. :confused: