• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why have Christians forgotten the fourth Commandment?

Are all Ten commandments binding?

• Total voters

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
Isn't it obvious? They're all in HELL anyhow so who cares!

Right d.n.?:areyoucra

Well, I care since my ancestry and religious practice happens to honor some of those cultures that didn't follow a 7-day cycle. The entire world doesn't revolve around the Christian cosmology. I wish people would remember that

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Truth Can Withstand Investigation -take every thing you just said- put it in an email and send it to the U.S. Naval observatory- and wait for response.
I don't need to. I am not personally invested in the idea that what I call Saturday must be what any particular deity calls the Sabbath.

You're the one who seems to want to convince others of your point of view. If you actually want to do this, it's up to you to provide reasons for the readers here to agree with you.
The crux of what their saying is that since the earth has been revolving we have been on a seven day cycle. thats it
Re-read the letter. That's not what it says at all.

d.n.irvin

"For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities -- his eternal power and divine nature -- have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse" (Rom 1:20).
The mystery of the seven-day cycle was never intended to be a mystery, but a call from the Creator to get in harmony, in sync, with him. It is high time we get in step with God. "The amazing 7"
Remember that you were slaves in Egypt and that the Lord your God brought you out of there with a mighty hand and an outstretched arm. Therefore the Lord your God has commanded you to observe the Sabbath day (Deut 5:15).

d.n.irvin

Well, I care since my ancestry and religious practice happens to honor some of those cultures that didn't follow a 7-day cycle. The entire world doesn't revolve around the Christian cosmology. I wish people would remember that

You and Scott seem to be more interested Slandering that Truthseeking

Who can prove through any Bible that God dosen't care how you worship him?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
BTW - it appears that, not surprisingly, more is known on this subject since the 1932 letter.

Consider the following from the web site of the apparently untouchable authority, the USNO on the subject of lunisolar calendars. The Hebrew calendar is a lunisolar calendar:

Historical records from around the world show continued efforts to build reliable lunisolar calendars. One of the methods used most often was to insert (intercalate) an extra month every few years. It might be done randomly, but usually it is not. In the fifth century (BCE) a Greek astronomer Meton set down specific rules for inserting these extra months. If one picks a year that starts with a New Moon and lets the months run in sequence, how many lunar months pass before another year comes that starts on a New Moon? The answer is 235 lunar months - or 19 years. In other words the Full Moon appears on the same day in that year as it did 19 years earlier. This 19 year period defines the Metonic Cycle. This cycle is useful for calendar makers. The same pattern of lunar phase and date in the year repeats every 19 years. A calendar maker needs to follow only one pattern - change the number of months for a prechosen pattern of years and repeat that pattern every 19 years. This number was so important to ancient calendar makers that the Greeks inscribed this number in golden letters on a temple in Athens - hence the term The Golden Number, G. Today's almanacs, including The Astronomical Almanac, provide The Golden Number. As it turns out, however, the Metonic Cycle is not quite exactly 19 years. It is off by about 2 hours per cycle.

Note what it says at the end: the arithmetic used to calculate the calendar was off by 2 hours per 19-year cycle. By my math, that would make it off by a whole day in 228 years.

Are you still sure about your claim?

d.n.irvin

BTW - it appears that, not surprisingly, more is known on this subject since the 1932 letter.

Consider the following from the web site of the apparently untouchable authority, the USNO on the subject of lunisolar calendars. The Hebrew calendar is a lunisolar calendar:

Note what it says at the end: the arithmetic used to calculate the calendar was off by 2 hours per 19-year cycle. By my math, that would make it off by a whole day in 228 years.

Are you still sure about your claim?

I said nothing of Calendars- pay attention- I said since the earth has been revolving- we've been on a 7 day cycle

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I said nothing of Calendars- pay attention- I said since the earth has been revolving- we've been on a 7 day cycle
Reductio ad absurdium?

Yes, you can theoretically count back in seven-day increments to the beginning of the Earth.

No, you can't prove that when you do this, you'll find that the events of Genesis started on Saturday and ended on Sunday.

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
You and Scott seem to be more interested Slandering that Truthseeking

Who can prove through any Bible that God dosen't care how you worship him?

That's not what I said. I want to know what you and the UNO have to say about cultures and religions that didn't use a calendar based on a 7-day week system. I would know, since I have studied, and follow a religion based on a culture that did exactly that.

And, we're a biblical religion. That's the point - not every culture historically used a seven day system. And the seven-day system we have today is not exactly the same as ones used thousands of years ago.

The Jewish calendar today, as far as I know, is far different than the Julian one, and Jesus would have been following the Jewish one. And, also different from the Gregorian calendar

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice

Not everyone. Only the people who follow the Bible had a 7-day cycle.

Do other cultures who don't follow your God not count?

d.n.irvin

Any thing heralded or proclaimed as TRUTH, should and must be tested, proved and investigated -ex. hence the truth- 1+1= 2. A universal truth that has been tested, proved and investigated 1+1=2 , in the United States, China, Africa - on this planet- on the moon- in this galaxy- even in our sister galaxy Andromeda.

Who can argue truth?

Random

Any thing heralded or proclaimed as TRUTH, should and must be tested, proved and investigated -ex. hence the truth- 1+1= 2. A universal truth that has been tested, proved and investigated 1+1=2 , in the United States, China, Africa - on this planet- on the moon- in this galaxy- even in our sister galaxy Andromeda.

Who can argue truth?

What? What? What? What? What?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

Who can argue truth?
I doubt that anyone's "tested" the truth of 1+1=2 in the galaxy Andromeda, but sure, certain things are true.

What does this have to do with the price of tea in China?