• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why have Christians forgotten the fourth Commandment?

Are all Ten commandments binding?

• Total voters

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
I guess you figure that Paul mentioning the Sabbath specifically was a typo? No, he had the modern day Pharisee in mind when he did that. Good thinking Paul.

Our division is clear: You love the Law of death. I love the Law of Freedom. You want to enslave men to the Law, and I want men to be free to LOVE as God had intended. That is clear to me and to anyone who reads this dialog with an open mind.

d.n.irvin

I guess you figure that Paul mentioning the Sabbath specifically was a typo? No, he had the modern day Pharisee in mind when he did that. Good thinking Paul.
once again you have missed the point
Our division is clear: You love the Law of death. I love the Law of Freedom. You want to enslave men to the Law, and I want men to be free to LOVE as God had intended. That is clear to me and to anyone who reads this dialog with an open mind.
only if the they don't have the whole Bible

Lets get it straight I am a lover of TRUTH
Your interpretation is out of harmony with the rest of scripture. I have no division with you or anyone else. As a stated before your beef is with God not me. Though you may be afraid, God can hep you to overcome your fears. Fears of what you say? Fears of Truth. The only reason you go to church on Sunday is because along time ago Roman Catholics changed the day from Seventh to the first, it gradually happened over time. Bible Prophecy says they would do it - They readily admit it -this the truth. Although people believe whatever they want -just don't go around make the false claim that Jesus even remotely changed the Sabbath from the holy Seventh Day of the week to the unholy first. If we use you logic about the Sabbath -why then do we go to church at all-

Ask yourself this, Why is it that not one
Catholic in this entire forum has stepped up to reprove me, even after 400 some odd post ?
Could it possibly be true?

rstrats

Scuba Pete,

What difference does it make if the sabbath mentioned in Colossians 2:16 is referring to the weekly Sabbath or not?

Scuba Pete

Ask yourself this, Why is it that not one Catholic in this entire forum has stepped up to reprove me, even after 400 some odd post ?
Why do I care about what Catholics do or not do? You are trying to impose the LAW on Christians and it's reprehensible. Let's see what Paul had to say about those who were trying to impose the law:

Galatians 5:1 It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery.
2 Mark my words! I, Paul, tell you that if you let yourselves be circumcised, Christ will be of no value to you at all. 3 Again I declare to every man who lets himself be circumcised that he is obligated to obey the whole law. 4You who are trying to be justified by law have been alienated from Christ; you have fallen away from grace. 5 But by faith we eagerly await through the Spirit the righteousness for which we hope. 6 For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision has any value. The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love.
7 You were running a good race. Who cut in on you and kept you from obeying the truth? 8 That kind of persuasion does not come from the one who calls you. 9 "A little yeast works through the whole batch of dough." 10 I am confident in the Lord that you will take no other view. The one who is throwing you into confusion will pay the penalty, whoever he may be. 11 Brothers, if I am still preaching circumcision, why am I still being persecuted? In that case the offense of the cross has been abolished. 12 As for those agitators, I wish they would go the whole way and emasculate themselves!
13 You, my brothers, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the sinful nature; rather, serve one another in love. 14 The entire law is summed up in a single command: "Love your neighbor as yourself." 15 If you keep on biting and devouring each other, watch out or you will be destroyed by each other. NIV

According to this scripture, you have fallen away from Grace and you are an agitator. Those aren't MY words: they come from the scriptures. I can fully appreciate Paul's frustration with legalists such as yourself. He was pretty pointed in verse 12, wasn't he? That's how Paul feels about those who would put us back under the LAW.

Now, there can be NO DOUBT that Paul was referring to the Ten Commandments here as he referenced Mt Sinai in chapter 4. Yeah, the reference that you would not give a straight answer to! I wonder why after multiple attempts to answer this one question, you just keep evading it. WHAT OTHER LAWS CAME FROM MT SINAI???

d.n.irvin

Why do I care about what Catholics do or not do? You are trying to impose the LAW on Christians and it's reprehensible. Let's see what Paul had to say about those who were trying to impose the law:

Galatians 5:1 It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery.
2 Mark my words! I, Paul, tell you that if you let yourselves be circumcised, Christ will be of no value to you at all. 3 Again I declare to every man who lets himself be circumcised that he is obligated to obey the whole law. 4You who are trying to be justified by law have been alienated from Christ; you have fallen away from grace. 5 But by faith we eagerly await through the Spirit the righteousness for which we hope. 6 For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision has any value. The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love.
7 You were running a good race. Who cut in on you and kept you from obeying the truth? 8 That kind of persuasion does not come from the one who calls you. 9 "A little yeast works through the whole batch of dough." 10 I am confident in the Lord that you will take no other view. The one who is throwing you into confusion will pay the penalty, whoever he may be. 11 Brothers, if I am still preaching circumcision, why am I still being persecuted? In that case the offense of the cross has been abolished. 12 As for those agitators, I wish they would go the whole way and emasculate themselves!
13 You, my brothers, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the sinful nature; rather, serve one another in love. 14 The entire law is summed up in a single command: "Love your neighbor as yourself." 15 If you keep on biting and devouring each other, watch out or you will be destroyed by each other. NIV

According to this scripture, you have fallen away from Grace and you are an agitator. Those aren't MY words: they come from the scriptures. I can fully appreciate Paul's frustration with legalists such as yourself. He was pretty pointed in verse 12, wasn't he? That's how Paul feels about those who would put us back under the LAW.

Now, there can be NO DOUBT that Paul was referring to the Ten Commandments here as he referenced Mt Sinai in chapter 4. Yeah, the reference that you would not give a straight answer to! I wonder why after multiple attempts to answer this one question, you just keep evading it. WHAT OTHER LAWS CAME FROM MT SINAI???

Please tell us Biblically -WHAT OTHER LAWS CAME FROM MT SINAI?? -besides the "Law of God " and the "Law of Moses?

Scuba Pete

ALL OF THEM AND THEY ARE NOW ALL OBSOLETE!

Exodus 31:18 When the LORD finished speaking to Moses on Mount Sinai, he gave him the two tablets of the Testimony, the tablets of stone inscribed by the finger of God. NIV

But only the Ten Commandments were written in stone!

The New Testament makes no differentiation between the two, and neither should we!

d.n.irvin

In God's final warning messages to the world we find a call to worship the Creator.
-
"And I saw another angel fly in the midst of heaven... Saying with a loud voice Fear God, and give glory to him; for the hour of his judgment is come: and worship him that made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of waters."
Revelation 14:6-7

The call to worship in Revelation 14:7 brings us back to the Sabbath Commandment which God set aside specifically for holy purposes: "Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work: But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it." Exodus 20:8-11

By keeping the Sabbath holy, as He commanded us, we show our love for Him and give recognition of His authority in our life.
"Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: and every one that loveth him that begat loveth him also that is begotten of him. By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments. For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous." 1 John 5:1

Are these my words? Is this my interpretation?

Furthermore, Daniel and Revelation reveal that the true Sabbath has been switched for a false one. I promise you I was no where -when the Bible was written. So how can I or anyone else possible have an opinion as to the things written therein, since none of us were there. I can assure you that Christ never debated the Bible -He believed it for what it is -the Word of God.
Paul taught and practiced Sabbath keeping. NO WHERE in the New Testament can we find a contradiction of this, -IF,and only IF we have a true understanding of the
"Law of God" [aka "the Moral Law" " The Decalogue" "The Ten Commandments"] and "Law of Moses"[aka "The Book of the Law" or "Book of the Covenant" aka "The Ceremonial Law and the Mosaic Law"

These are two different "Laws" with different purposes -One was temporal the other "Eternal"

d.n.irvin

ALL OF THEM AND THEY ARE NOW ALL OBSOLETE!

Exodus 31:18 When the LORD finished speaking to Moses on Mount Sinai, he gave him the two tablets of the Testimony, the tablets of stone inscribed by the finger of God. NIV
So when God wrote "Remember" with "His own finger" what were the people to "Remember"? Could it be that the institution of the Sabbath was from the beginning of the world? Before Jews and Gentiles came to be. What does All of the scripture say about this?
But only the Ten Commandments were written in stone!
Is not the fourth commandment a part of the Ten?
The New Testament makes no differentiation between the two, and neither should we!

That statement depends solely on your personal understanding of the New Testament and is not based on Biblical facts. Remember "ALL" scripture is given by inspiration of God -ALL means ALL -that means the Old and New Testament. That must be how your NIV reads KJV reads different.

Now your statements make more since to me -your one of those New Testament only Christians.

Scuba Pete

Now your statements make more since to me -your one of those New Testament only Christians.
You would be SOOOO surprised. I am a FREE Christian and refuse to be a LEGALIST focusing only laws rather than love. Until you understand the FREEDOM we have in Christ your heart is still covered in a veil.

II Corinthians 3:7Now if the ministry that brought death, which was engraved in letters on stone, came with glory, so that the Israelites could not look steadily at the face of Moses because of its glory, fading though it was, 8 will not the ministry of the Spirit be even more glorious? 9 If the ministry that condemns men is glorious, how much more glorious is the ministry that brings righteousness! 10 For what was glorious has no glory now in comparison with the surpassing glory. 11 And if what was fading away came with glory, how much greater is the glory of that which lasts! 12 Therefore, since we have such a hope, we are very bold. 13 We are not like Moses, who would put a veil over his face to keep the Israelites from gazing at it while the radiance was fading away. 14 But their minds were made dull, for to this day the same veil remains when the old covenant is read. It has not been removed, because only in Christ is it taken away. 15 Even to this day when Moses is read, a veil covers their hearts. 16 But whenever anyone turns to the Lord, the veil is taken away. 17 Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. 18 And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect the Lord's glory, are being transformed into his likeness with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit. NIV

Here's hoping that ONE DAY you will see fit to get rid of the veil, and instead of relying on laws, you embrace the FREEDOM that is in the Spirit. But as long as you persist relying on the MINISTRY OF DEATH ENGRAVED ON LETTERS IN STONE, the Spirit and Grace will mean nothing to you. You know that Jesus has come, but you are systematically denying his power.

Scuba Pete

It's Legalism Vs Freedom, round 208. Every time I think I have him on the ropes, he keeps twisting the scriptures to escape. :D Just call me...

CAPTAIN FREEDOM!

rstrats

Scuba Pete,

re: "Are you a legalist too?"

If by legalist, you mean someone who thinks that the supreme being of the Bible wants people to obey him, then, yes, I guess I am.

re: "Are you also of the volition that we are still under the Law?"

Romans 6:14 suggests that we aren’t.

BTW, you have a question directed to you at post #463.