• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why I think there is one right religion

AmbiguousGuy

Well I want to dig deeper into evolution. But I am interested in knowing that.

Knowing what? About the Piltdown Man? It was a hoax created by unknown persons and was accepted as real for several years before scientists examined it more closely and proved it was a fake.

Sabour

Knowing what? About the Piltdown Man?

I meant details about it.

It was a hoax created by unknown persons and was accepted as real for several years before scientists examined it more closely and proved it was a fake

Yeah I read that part on the internet. I thought you didn't know about it.

AmbiguousGuy

Yeah I read that part on the internet. I thought you didn't know about it.

The Piltdown Man? Yes, I know about it. I've read a thorough discussion of it by Stephen J. Gould and also various other accounts.

But it was a long time ago, so if you want lots of details, you'd probably do better with Wiki than with me.

But if you have questions about what the incident means for evolutionary science, I'll discuss it with you as best I can.

Sabour

The Piltdown Man? Yes, I know about it. I've read a thorough discussion of it by Stephen J. Gould and also various other accounts.

But it was a long time ago, so if you want lots of details, you'd probably do better with Wiki than with me.

But if you have questions about what the incident means for evolutionary science, I'll discuss it with you as best I can.

I am not up for a discussion because have minimal input on the matter of evolution. It didn't cross my mind since I was a kid and I had the least interest about it before I even became a practicing Muslim.

But please do tell me

AmbiguousGuy

I am not up for a discussion because have minimal input on the matter of evolution. It didn't cross my mind since I was a kid and I had the least interest about it before I even became a practicing Muslim.

But please do tell me

The Piltdown Man demonstrates how rational thought (science) is a better way to truth than are holy books (revelation).

Science corrects itself. If there is a hoax, science will look at it, study it, and expose it.

But you yourself declare that the Quran is perfect and has all the answers. So it can never correct itself.

Sabour

The Piltdown Man demonstrates how rational thought (science) is a better way to truth than are holy books (revelation).

Science corrects itself. If there is a hoax, science will look at it, study it, and expose it.

But you yourself declare that the Quran is perfect and has all the answers. So it can never correct itself.

Are you calling for a disussion ?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery

Therein lies the fatal flaw in Islam in that it cannot change. Innovation is frowned upon, if not openly discouraged. In a very real sense Islam goes against nature. :)

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Religions in general seem to have a marked tendency to claim for themselves the perfection of truth and/or knowledge -- as if all questioning, all seeking, all inquiry has come to an end. I don't think all religions do it -- apparently Zen is an exception, as might be some others. But it is such a prominent feature of so many religions that religion in general cannot be considered the constant and abiding friend of free inquiry, for it often enough is not.

Sees

Dragonslayer
Religions in general seem to have a marked tendency to claim for themselves the perfection of truth and/or knowledge -- as if all questioning, all seeking, all inquiry has come to an end. I don't think all religions do it -- apparently Zen is an exception, as might be some others. But it is such a prominent feature of so many religions that religion in general cannot be considered the constant and abiding friend of free inquiry, for it often enough is not.

Revealed religions, Abrahamic traditions for most part, tend to be like that. Folk, organic, tribal, indigenous, etc. traditions not so much. It is conditioned that when we think of religions we tend to automatically think of those big, revealed ones.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Revealed religions, Abrahamic traditions for most part, tend to be like that. Folk, organic, tribal, indigenous, etc. traditions not so much. It is conditioned that when we think of religions we tend to automatically think of those big, revealed ones.

Yeah, what little I know of, say, Native American religions leads me to believe that not many of them were especially closed off to free inquiry.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
I have often heard that why would our religion be wrong if we believe in God.

Well let me start by saying that every person has a religion. Even the one who says I don't belong to any religion.
This is gonna be interesting...

Assume that you don't follow any religion, I will ask you four questions

If somebody came to kill you, do you think it is okay if you killed him? self defense?
Depends on the situation. If it was the heat of the moment and I killed them inadvertently in the process of defending myself - or if a situation arose, unlikely as it may be, where it was a definitely me-or-them scenario, then yes; It would be okay.

Is it okay to have alcohol?
Again, depends on situation. Is it okay for people to enjoy drinking alcohol in moderation (or without moderation, provided it's not constant). Yes, I believe it is. Is it okay to keep drinking when you're well passed the point of your brain being able to form sentences? Probably not. Is it okay to buy alcohol for a friend who is a known alcoholic? Definitely not.

Is it okay to have drugs?
Are these questions going to get specific or meaningful at some point?

Again, yes, in moderation. See above.

Is it okay to lie for a good reason?
Depends entirely on the lie and the reason. This is impossible to answer without being more specific.

Now I can make a thousand question in the list. The set of answers you provide for these questions is your religion. They form your beliefs by which you live your life.
That's not a religion - it's just a set of beliefs and opinions. Religions, by definition, are mandated systems of beliefs - usually supernatural in nature - which require adherence to certain set principles, practices, traditions and forms of faith and/or worship.

Now before you give answers to these questions and adopt them in your life, it is your duty to search and see if God already handed you answers to these questions.
Nope.

And since religions have major differences, there is only one true religion. Just like 1+1=2 ... You only have once right answer. And let's not forget that there are MAJOR difference between religions in the worshiping aspect. Not only in the do and donts.

So its our duty to search for this true religion that God gave us, and I firmly believe that God didn't leave each one of us to live by his standards.
This argument makes no sense. You assert that we all have our own, individual religion, then assert that there is only one true religion. I don't get your point at all. Pointing out that lots of people believe lots of different things and answer certain moral problems differently isn't an incredible, mind-blowing revelation. It's blindingly obvious. The question is how you go about determining that this was God's intent, or whether or not God intends anything or even exists in the first place.

Evidence of our existence,the universe existence, just everything. Let me quote you some Quraanic verses please

19:67 Does man not remember that We created him before, while he was nothing?

78:6-16
6 Have We not made the earth a resting place?
7 And the mountains as stakes?
8 And We created you in pairs
9 And made your sleep [a means for] rest
10 And made the night as clothing
11 And made the day for livelihood
12 And constructed above you seven strong [heavens]
13 And made [therein] a burning lamp
14 And sent down, from the rain clouds, pouring water
15 That We may bring forth thereby grain and vegetation
16 And gardens of entwined growth.

25:61 Blessed is He who has placed in the sky great stars and placed therein a [burning] lamp and luminous moon.

27:88 And you see the mountains, thinking them rigid, while they will pass as the passing of clouds. [It is] the work of Allah , who perfected all things. Indeed, He is Acquainted with that which you do.

67:3[And] who created seven heavens in layers. You do not see in the creation of the Most Merciful any inconsistency. So return [your] vision [to the sky]; do you see any breaks?

32:7 Who perfected everything which He created and began the creation of man from clay

16:79 Do they not see the birds controlled in the atmosphere of the sky? None holds them up except Allah . Indeed in that are signs for a people who believe.

There is nothing in the Koran people never knew about back then.
The Koran is full of popular myths that existed centuries ago.

Monk Of Reason

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Evidence of our existence,the universe existence, just everything. Let me quote you some Quraanic verses please

19:67 Does man not remember that We created him before, while he was nothing?

78:6-16
6 Have We not made the earth a resting place?
7 And the mountains as stakes?
8 And We created you in pairs
9 And made your sleep [a means for] rest
10 And made the night as clothing
11 And made the day for livelihood
12 And constructed above you seven strong [heavens]
13 And made [therein] a burning lamp
14 And sent down, from the rain clouds, pouring water
15 That We may bring forth thereby grain and vegetation
16 And gardens of entwined growth.

25:61 Blessed is He who has placed in the sky great stars and placed therein a [burning] lamp and luminous moon.

27:88 And you see the mountains, thinking them rigid, while they will pass as the passing of clouds. [It is] the work of Allah , who perfected all things. Indeed, He is Acquainted with that which you do.

67:3[And] who created seven heavens in layers. You do not see in the creation of the Most Merciful any inconsistency. So return [your] vision [to the sky]; do you see any breaks?

32:7 Who perfected everything which He created and began the creation of man from clay

16:79 Do they not see the birds controlled in the atmosphere of the sky? None holds them up except Allah . Indeed in that are signs for a people who believe.
None of that is actually evidence for anything. That is literally the god of the gaps mixed with arguments from ignorance.

We exist therefore god must have made us. How do you know? Have we seen god make something and then measured and tested it?

Sabour

Therein lies the fatal flaw in Islam in that it cannot change. Innovation is frowned upon, if not openly discouraged. In a very real sense Islam goes against nature. :)

I am happy to see you here again.

Well why should Islam change? God has perfected it.

And no innovation is not frowned upon. There is a reason why the first word revealed in the Quraan is "Read"

And the prophet peace be upon him was always supportive to learning

Farrukh

I am happy to see you here again.

Well why should Islam change? God has perfected it.

And no innovation is not frowned upon. There is a reason why the first word revealed in the Quraan is "Read"

And the prophet peace be upon him was always supportive to learning

they will hardly understand, they ask why homosexuality isn't allowed in Islam, simply they want to run behind their own desires and fancies, who tells them what is natural and what is against nature?
if we just imagine, all men become gay, all women go lesbian, system of this world will be destroyed.
An atheist said "we just prefer to throw our dead in dust bin as it is the cheapest way" :(
even Ants use to bury their dead in their graveyard.