• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why I think there is one right religion

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
Regardless if that was true or not, which I doubt, or even is in minor countries. I am discussing Islam and not what muslims do :)

Yep, this is for her protection.

The first thing a husband would do when they have a "minor" disagreement, he would slaughter the Prophet peace be upon him.

While If a muslim man married non muslim woman, he won't do that because he believes in her prophet. If he does slaughter him, he is not a muslim anymore.

Again I am discussing Islam and not Muslims.

If Muslims understood Islam correctly, we wouldn't have been in this situation we are in today

And the rest of us are discussing the reality of Islam and Muslims in the world today.

cocokorina

The hadith doesn't clearly say if that is the main reason.
Besides, continue the hadith to see what "ungrateful" means. If someone is good to you and all of a sudden you want to divorce him, you say he is not good, he never was and never will be. This is what scholars explained the hadith.
Does anyone plan to do that?
a woman must be grateful to her husband, and the husband can have 4 wives plus he can also have sex with other women captured after war. it sounds really ridiculous that Prophet mohmmad saw more women in hell because many women are ungrateful to their husbands. :sarcastic

I am not taking one case, it is a well known history shared by Arabs before Islam. There are poems written wrong times ago which who the existence of such treatment. It is said that Omar Ibn lkhattab himself buried his daughter alive.
Oh please. this is the myth spread by muslims. before mohammad, women were quite independent. He made them dependent on men so men can have the upper hand and keep multiple wives. Khadija is the best example of how women were before mohammads islam came to existence.
yes many people did bury their daughters but not majority of them. just like even today many people including muslims kill their daughters. bad people have always existed in every society, including muslim and non-muslim equally.

:no::no::no:

You are taking one case and generalizing. I think discussing history will get us nowhere.
seems to me you're generalizing. women were 100 times better off before islam. even today, most abused and dependent women turn out to be muslim ones. islam makes women dependent and thats what causes all the problem for us. islam has made women very inferior to men. a woman cannot even travel without mehram. a woman must have consent from her wali before her marriage but the groom does not. a woman cannot marry nonmuslimman but muslim man can marry christian woman. a man can sleep with 4 women at one time by marrying them but a woman cannot. a womans witness is even considered half of a mans! it's not just one thing, the entire religion is sexist.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
What did you mean by our ?
The writer means it in the sense that whatever your religion is, you (meaning the individual, not you personally) see your religion as being right. After all, why would anyone follow a religion they think is false?

Sabour

a woman must be grateful to her husband, and the husband can have 4 wives plus he can also have sex with other women captured after war. it sounds really ridiculous that Prophet mohmmad saw more women in hell because many women are ungrateful to their husbands. :sarcastic

I explained what ungrateful means.

Let us look about what is happening in the western countries. All married man are having girlfriends.

Islam says committing adultery is forbidden and their is a punishment for that. So is it okay for a man to have a girlfriend, but it is not okay to have a wife, announced in public?

Do you have a problem with your husband marrying another woman? who said that he would? If it is there it doesn't mean that everyone have to follow.

Let me ask you, if you married and found out you are not able to have kids. What will your husband do? Divorce you to marry another and have children? NO. Marry another woman and stay with you. Because I am pretty sure that all those who want to marry want to have kids.

If you had cancer or any other disease, or unable to have an adult relation with your husband, should he leave you for his desires? NO. He can marry another one.

In K.S.A the wifes of the husband go together to the shopping , eat together, and love each other like sisters. Some isisnt on their husbands to marry another woman.

If it is there in the Quraan, doesn't mean that everyone has to follow.

4:3 And if you fear that you will not deal justly with the orphan girls, then marry those that please you of [other] women, two or three or four. But if you fear that you will not be just, then [marry only] one or those your right hand possesses. That is more suitable that you may not incline [to injustice].

Quraan is the only book that has the statement "Marry one"

Oh please. this is the myth spread by muslims. before mohammad, women were quite independent. He made them dependent on men so men can have the upper hand and keep multiple wives. Khadija is the best example of how women were before mohammads islam came to existence.
yes many people did bury their daughters but not majority of them. just like even today many people including muslims kill their daughters. bad people have always existed in every society, including muslim and non-muslim equally.

seems to me you're generalizing. women were 100 times better off before islam. even today, most abused and dependent women turn out to be muslim ones. islam makes women dependent and thats what causes all the problem for us. islam has made women very inferior to men. a woman cannot even travel without mehram. a woman must have consent from her wali before her marriage but the groom does not. a woman cannot marry nonmuslimman but muslim man can marry christian woman. a man can sleep with 4 women at one time by marrying them but a woman cannot. a womans witness is even considered half of a mans! it's not just one thing, the entire religion is sexist.

Sorry there is a problem.

You were the first to say women were more successful and you mentioned an example. I told you no. You said I am generalizing. Than you go back to support your answer with the examples. So I think you are generalizing too.

AmbiguousGuy

Let us look about what is happening in the western countries. All married man are having girlfriends.

You know, you really do make the most bizarre claims. Do you seriously believe this stuff?

Forgive me for asking, but do you know the English term 'brainwashing'?

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
I explained what ungrateful means.

Islam says committing adultery is forbidden and their is a punishment for that. So is it okay for a man to have a girlfriend, but it is not okay to have a wife, announced in public?

I'm seriously offended.

I'm married. I've been married for 25 years. I have 5 grownup kids. I have never cheated on my wife or had any girlfriend on the side. Never. Not once. Not now. Not before. And not planning to have one either.

So when you're saying "all married [men]", you are also including me.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but you're extremely, utterly, incredibly wrong.

Not only that. I know most of the families on our street and who had affairs and who didn't. Most of the men on this street have not had any affairs and most of them do not have any girlfriends on the side (at least not currently). It's not as common as you think, and it's not "all" as you claim.

AmbiguousGuy

I want to think it's a language problem. Surely he doesn't believe that all married Western men have girlfriends.

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
I want to think it's a language problem. Surely he doesn't believe that all married Western men have girlfriends.
Based on his very hardcore and judgmental attitude, it does sound like he's generalizing everyone that he doesn't like, and especially west. I'm not sure if it's a language problem or attitude problem. Either or, he needs to hear that he's overstepping the line. Imagine if I used language as an excuse to call all Muslims terrorists? It would be wrong to do so regardless of my excuse. The majority of Muslims are good people. They're not all terrorists. But One-answer seems to do believe that all westerners are evil in one way or another. He needs to hear why it's wrong.

AmbiguousGuy

Based on his very hardcore and judgmental attitude, it does sound like he's generalizing everyone that he doesn't like, and especially west. I'm not sure if it's a language problem or attitude problem.

I read him a little differently. I don't think he's being intentionally hostile toward those he doesn't like but rather that he really believes the (weird, untrue) stuff which he has been posting to this board. My guess is that he is just innocently reciting to us what he has been taught by his culture.

If so, that's way scarier than a hostile debater. It's a whole hostile culture.

Either or, he needs to hear that he's overstepping the line. Imagine if I used language as an excuse to call all Muslims terrorists? It would be wrong to do so regardless of my excuse.

Yep. I agree.

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
I read him a little differently. I don't think he's being intentionally hostile toward those he doesn't like but rather that he really believes the (weird, untrue) stuff which he has been posting to this board. My guess is that he is just innocently reciting to us what he has been taught by his culture.

If so, that's way scarier than a hostile debater. It's a whole hostile culture.
It's very possible. However, we would also perhaps hastily generalize their culture if we did. I hope the majority of Muslims have a better and more tolerant view of the rest of the world. It would be terrible if they were this judgmental and prejudiced. After 9/11, a lot of Americans called for war and wanted to basically blast the middle east to smithereens. I was one of the few who thought that was a drastic overreaction. Even though our emotions were running high, we didn't have the right to judge a whole culture based on the acts of the few. I try my hardest to not be judgmental, but sometimes its very hard. Unfortunately, One-answer's attitude makes it really hard not to be.

I've met some really great Muslims in the past, and a couple of really nasty ones. I worked with one, and I was Christian at that point. Dang. That was a clash of titans. LOL! Me with my religious prejudice, and he with his. Not good. I try to be more understanding today, but it's hard at times.

Sabour

I'm seriously offended.

I'm married. I've been married for 25 years. I have 5 grownup kids. I have never cheated on my wife or had any girlfriend on the side. Never. Not once. Not now. Not before. And not planning to have one either.

Not only that. I know most of the families on our street and who had affairs and who didn't. Most of the men on this street have not had any affairs and most of them do not have any girlfriends on the side (at least not currently). It's not as common as you think, and it's not "all" as you claim.

I am sorry I didn't even know how I wrote all.

I didn't mean to say all and generalize I meant that many do.

I know that many people have high values. And a lot of you have more values than most of the muslims.

Anyways as a percentage, can you tell me how many cheat on their wives ?
I believe it is high. No ?

Sabour

You know, you really do make the most bizarre claims. Do you seriously believe this stuff?

Forgive me for asking, but do you know the English term 'brainwashing'?

Lol.

I didn't mean to say it this way. It was just that I was a rush in writing.

I am sorry I didn't mean what I said.

But can you answer my question in the previous comment?

Knight of Albion

We are all inexorably caught up in the continuity of life and the immortality of spirit and all bound by the Law of Cause and Effect.
Whatever religion illuminates your soul and makes you a better, kinder, more loving person, and inspires you to serve the greater good and your fellow man, is the 'one right religion' for you. Cling to it for all you are worth.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Based on his very hardcore and judgmental attitude, it does sound like he's generalizing everyone that he doesn't like, and especially west. I'm not sure if it's a language problem or attitude problem. Either or, he needs to hear that he's overstepping the line. Imagine if I used language as an excuse to call all Muslims terrorists? It would be wrong to do so regardless of my excuse. The majority of Muslims are good people. They're not all terrorists. But One-answer seems to do believe that all westerners are evil in one way or another. He needs to hear why it's wrong.

Since I live in an area with a great many Muslems (my place in the Lower is a suburb of Detroit), and since I had many Muslems over the years as students, One-answer's approach is only common with a relatively small minority. Most that I have had a dealing with are no where near as ideologically constipated, but then they are here in American to see for themselves what we actually are like versus the stereotypes that people like One-answer believes.

Unfortunately, in many of the mostly Muslem countries, stereotypes are all too common, undoubtedly caused in part by poor educational opportunities and a highly biased media. I remember talking with a Bangladeshi Muslem here about the floods in his country, and he blamed it on the Hindus in India. I asked him how they managed to do that, and he said it's because Hindus pray to false Gods. Years later, I still can't quite figure out the "logic" on that.

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
I am sorry I didn't even know how I wrote all.

I didn't mean to say all and generalize I meant that many do.

I know that many people have high values. And a lot of you have more values than most of the muslims.
Apology accepted.

Anyways as a percentage, can you tell me how many cheat on their wives ?
I believe it is high. No ?
Yes. I think it's high.

An important point to make here though, I don't judge anyone who cheat. It's everyone's own business how they live their lives. No one can put themselves in someone else's shoes, and I'm not the one who claim to know how, when, and why someone does anything. But at the same time, I know how devastating it also can be to the rest of the family when it happens.

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
Since I live in an area with a great many Muslems (my place in the Lower is a suburb of Detroit), and since I had many Muslems over the years as students, One-answer's approach is only common with a relatively small minority. Most that I have had a dealing with are no where near as ideologically constipated, but then they are here in American to see for themselves what we actually are like versus the stereotypes that people like One-answer believes.
The good Muslims I've met were students as well. Some of them had fled Iran and left family behind.

Unfortunately, in many of the mostly Muslem countries, stereotypes are all too common, undoubtedly caused in part by poor educational opportunities and a highly biased media. I remember talking with a Bangladeshi Muslem here about the floods in his country, and he blamed it on the Hindus in India. I asked him how they managed to do that, and he said it's because Hindus pray to false Gods. Years later, I still can't quite figure out the "logic" on that.
And unfortunately, there's a lot of stereotyping done by Americans as well when it comes to middle easterners. When it comes to unchecked belief and ideology, logic goes out the window.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
And unfortunately, there's a lot of stereotyping done by Americans as well when it comes to middle easterners. When it comes to unchecked belief and ideology, logic goes out the window.

Absolutely correct, and haven't we seen a ton of that over the last couple of decades.

Gotta tell you a cute story. A little over a decade ago, I was waiting for my wife and some friends while standing alone in the Muslem Quarter in Jerusalem. One of the Arabic men near me asked if I was afraid of being there by myself, and I answered that I was too dumb to be afraid. He just about died laughing. Since I still had to wait several more minutes, he and I just talked about how so many people stereotype others, etc.

The he kidnapped me.

Just joking.