• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why is homosexuality a sin

Status
Not open for further replies.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
There is an inherit weakness in your argument and that is that millions and millions of rational, intelligent adults don't believe in tinkerbell nor have they experienced this spirit. Your attempts to liken belief in a God to an imaginary folktale is easily seen through as nothing more than a mocking charicature.
Yet the fact remains that it matters not how many people believe something that is not true, it is still not true.
You sound as though you believe that if enough people believe something that the something believed either has to be true or will become true simply because so many people believe it.

You sound as though if something is not true then there is some 'fail safe' that would prevent so many people from believing the false something.
History shows this way of thinking, though popular, is just not valid.
People used to think that the world is flat
they used to think that tomatoes are poisonous
they used to think that meat would spontaneously turn into maggots
they used to think that horse tail hairs left in water would turn into worms
they used to think that the universe orbited the earth.
the list goes on and on.

kmkemp

Yet the fact remains that it matters not how many people believe something that is not true, it is still not true.
You sound as though you believe that if enough people believe something that the something believed either has to be true or will become true simply because so many people believe it.

You sound as though if something is not true then there is some 'fail safe' that would prevent so many people from believing the false something.
History shows this way of thinking, though popular, is just not valid.
People used to think that the world is flat
they used to think that tomatoes are poisonous
they used to think that meat would spontaneously turn into maggots
they used to think that horse tail hairs left in water would turn into worms
they used to think that the universe orbited the earth.
the list goes on and on.

You are arguing against something that I never said. I am simply pointing out that your analogy is ridiculous within the box of this thread because you are comparing something that no intelligent, rational person thinks to something than billions do believe. It is not the fact that billions believe it that makes it true. It is true and, therefor, billions believe. This is not a proof, it is a refute. My burden of proof is a lot lower.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
You are arguing against something that I never said. I am simply pointing out that your analogy is ridiculous within the box of this thread because you are comparing something that no intelligent, rational person thinks to something than billions do believe. It is not the fact that billions believe it that makes it true. It is true and, therefor, billions believe. This is not a proof, it is a refute. My burden of proof is a lot lower.
Thus lies the problem with your whole argument. Your refute is merely sloppy thinking, known as an appeal to numbers/popularity logical fallacy.
You have nothing to show that your belief in God is any more intelligent or rational than belief in tinkerbell or the Flying Spagetti Monster.
To you, belief in tinkerbell makes the believer irrational and un-intelligent, a rather convenient 'out,' yet there is just as much evidence for tinkerbell as there is for God.
In fact, the two are standing on the very same ground to rational thinking individuals who have not biased themselves to favour a particular deity.
The ONLY difference between the two is that you believe in God yet deny tinkerbell.
How is it that you know it was not tinkerbell responsible for all the things you have credited to God?
Your religious texts?
That is likened to me bringing a note from my mom explaining to the judge why I should not be made to pay a traffic ticket.

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours." --Stephen Roberts

"We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further." --Richard Dawkins

spiritually inclined

sex and love...what's wrong with them? They're great. Marriage is a human-made institution. Love is not anything more or less with or without marriage.

Religious hatred has crept into religion because humans have hatred and religions are human-made.

On the other hand, there are many Progressive Christians, Jews, Muslims, etc. and even entire religions -- such as Unitarian Universalism -- that honor GBLT people and their relationships.

I happen to be gay myself.

James

Darkness

Psychoanalyst/Marxist
There is an inherit weakness in your argument and that is that millions and millions of rational, intelligent adults don't believe in tinkerbell nor have they experienced this spirit. Your attempts to liken belief in a God to an imaginary folktale is easily seen through as nothing more than a mocking charicature.

Many different people, with different beliefs, experience God. There are two thousand Christian denominations which all feel the Spirit of God, but for some reason don't all agree. Muslims feel God as well, as do all sorts of mystics. See what I am getting at?

Callmepaul

Its a sin because its unatural, man and women exist for a reason, otherwise our sexual organs would be different.
If men and women exist for a reason then that reason must be procreation right? So,are you operating under the premise that sexual organs are to be used for procreation only? If that is the case then aren't hindu's and christians and any married people who have sex, other than for procreation, committing a sin?

If men and women exist for a reason then that reason must be procreation right? So,are you operating under the premise that sexual organs are to be used for procreation only? If that is the case then aren't hindu's and christians and any married people who have sex, other than for procreation, committing a sin?

Whati have said doesent say that. It's meant to go IN it. It's there for pleasure and reproducement, reproducement being the biggie. But pleasure doesent meanyou should do it so you get pleasurewith another man or another woman, its wrong.

Callmepaul

Whati have said doesent say that. It's meant to go IN it. It's there for pleasure and reproducement, reproducement being the biggie. But pleasure doesent meanyou should do it so you get pleasurewith another man or another woman, its wrong.
Your belief that it is wrong must be based upon something. It has been shown that most mammals commit homosexual acts. So on that basis, it would appear to be natural. Are your contentions based upon your religious beliefs or just on your own personal feelings?

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Homosexuality is unatural!!!It's not right! Its as simple as that!
And this opinion that homosexuality is unnatural is based upon what, exactly?
That the penis fits into the vagina?
Well the penis fits into the colon as well.
Is it based upon pleasure?
Does not both receive pleasure when the penis is inserted in the colon?
It is based upon reproduction?
So the only place to insert a penis is a place where reproduction can occur?
Does this mean that women who cannot or do not want to reproduce are not to receive a penis until they can or want to reproduce?
and what if it is the penis that cannot reproduce?
Does this mean that the penis is not to be inserted into anything at all, ever?

MBones

Really, are you really responding with any intellectual thought? How many responders area actually college educated people here. To devote a chat to this topic makes me sick. The gay people will have a part in our society in the future. Just like it was hard to get women, blacks, jews, and ignorant people into our society, they will be here too, like they should. Watch in a couple of years....Wow, they will be there. All of Gods creatures are the same.

The bible was written by men, im an atheist and as far as i am concerned as long as you are not hurting anybody do what you want.
Trust me on this, spend your time making the most of enjoying this life and forget about worrying about what happens when you are dead.
Do what pleases you and try not to cause any harm do that and you do not have to feel guilty about anything.
This is your life and you will only get one of them, just enjoy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.