• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Jews don't believe in Jesus

Don't you agreed that everyone is a sinner?
If person is righteous, I don't think he is a sinner, because it is said, if one is born of God, and so righteous, he doesn't sin.

…He who does righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous. He who sins is of the devil, for the devil has been sinning from the beginning. To this end the Son of God was revealed, that he might destroy the works of the devil. Whoever is born of God doesn't commit sin, because his seed remains in him; and he can't sin, because he is born of God. In this the children of God are revealed, and the children of the devil. Whoever doesn't do righteousness is not of God, neither is he who doesn't love his brother.
1 John 3:7-10

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Don't you agreed that everyone is a sinner? And yet righteous do exist. So I don't see those as opposites.
I would agree everyone sins, but I don't think everyone is a sinner. It's kind of like, everyone lies but some people are just a LIAR!!! LOL I think that a sinner is someone given over to sin, someone who has no remorse, someone who doesn't repent. I think that sort of person is very different from the one who screws up from time to time and then feels bad about it.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
In fact, according to the Christian Bible there are 4, not three.

What did the Greek word theos (god/God/?) in the letters mean to the Hellenists and Romans of those cities? I have a lot of doubts.
Trinity means three not four, please, right?

Regards

IndigoChild5559

If person is righteous, I don't think he is a sinner, because it is said, if one is born of God, and so righteous, he doesn't sin.

…He who does righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous. He who sins is of the devil, for the devil has been sinning from the beginning. To this end the Son of God was revealed, that he might destroy the works of the devil. Whoever is born of God doesn't commit sin, because his seed remains in him; and he can't sin, because he is born of God. In this the children of God are revealed, and the children of the devil. Whoever doesn't do righteousness is not of God, neither is he who doesn't love his brother.
1 John 3:7-10
Proverbs has a different definition of who is righteous.
Proverbs 24:16 For a righteous man stumbles seven times and rises again.

So the key here is not being perfect. Nor is it depending on someone else's righteousness. They key is repentance.

Betho_br

I'm assuming that you mean messianic mission when you say christological mission?
The Jewish community anticipates a Messiah, while the Qumran community expects at least two Messiahs—one as a royal figure and another as a priestly figure—and possibly more. Jesus, on the other hand, speaks of several false Christs and his own eschatological return. Each one, including the false ones, has specific missions.

Betho_br

Islam, Judaism, Christianity and the rest of em…they all have their shortcomings. If you’re going by the book 100% in life, you’re doing it wrong.
When I was a child, I heard a religious leader rant when questioned by someone about unethical and non-religious practices demonstrated by him: "Religion is power!" Years later, he took his best friend's wife and became a renowned politician. However, there are millions of religious leaders who think the opposite and those who are genuinely concerned with being sacerdotal leaders through the exemplification of meditation, prayer, and worship, I believe, possess a more advanced perspective on the sacred writings.

Betho_br

Two things. First, there is no agreement from Jews that Psalm 110:1 in Hebrew is talking about a post or future mashiahh.

Second, the above Christian perspective you posted doesn't address what I showed earlier.

View attachment 94802
Ehav4Ever, your observation about the red letter (לְ) and the position of the word (מִ֫זְמֹ֥ור) is valid, but it's important to consider the literary practice in Hebrew literature, especially in the Psalms. The use of the third person to refer to the author or others is a common technique that allows for deeper reflection and a poetic approach.

For example, many Psalms are written in a way that refers to the author in the third person, even when the author is expressing their own experiences or feelings. This does not mean that the author is not speaking about themselves; rather, the poetic structure allows for greater depth and universality in the message.

Additionally, the interpretation that "לְדָוִ֗ד" (L'David) refers to something that is "of David" or "about David" is a common practice in Hebrew exegesis. The preposition "לְ" can indicate both possession and direction, and the way the Psalms are structured often allows for multiple interpretations. Therefore, even though the phrase "לְדָוִ֗ד מִ֫זְמֹ֥ור" (L'David Mizmor) might suggest that David is speaking, the literary practice and contextual interpretation can support the idea that the song is about David, written by someone else.

Thus, the use of the third person does not diminish David's relevance as a central figure; rather, it enriches the understanding of the text, allowing it to resonate with a broader audience and relate to the human experience in a deeper way.

Eliana

In Genesis, Satan was in the tree of knowledge of good and evil, with Knowledge of good and evil describing law. Law is Satanic as symbolize by the serpent in the tree of knowledge of good and evil. Lawwas never condoned by God. Adam and Eve were expelled for choosing law. Jesus was not about law, but about life; tree of life; will of his Father and not the will of Satan and law. If Jesus was under law he would have also become Satanic. The problem the Jews had was their prestige was based on law and specific rules. To do without law and their rules would have taken away their identity. They would have become more homogenized like the Gentiles.

Before Jesus began his ministry, he went into the desert to fast and pray. He was visited by Satan, who among other things, offers Jesus all the wealth and glory of the kingdoms of the earth, if he would bow and serve Satan. Had Jesus accepted the offer, he would have become the Messiah who was anticipated; rich and powerful and able to subdue and own even Rome. But Jesus refuses the offer, but he never questions the authority of Satan to make this offer. He knew his Father had given Satan the job of Lord of the Earth; mediator of good and evil, to look after Adam and Eve after the fall. They had chosen each other and via love kept them together. Jesus, by refusing the offer, messed up the Messiah prophesy of Satan. Jesus was the one but refused. This created a political war in Heaven; what do we do now; leading to full scale war, where Satan and 1/3 of the Angels are thrown from heaven; Revelations. Satan was high up in the chain of command with 1/3 of the Angels at his disposal.

Satan had been condoned in Heaven, by God, from before Adam and Eve, up to that war in heaven. He was doing God's will, but lost this special status after Jesus gummed up the works. This may be why the Messiah job is still left hanging. It made no sense after the desert. After Satan is thrown from heaven, humans do not see anything being different, but now the laws good and evil and Satan are no longer condoned by Heaven, even of still part of the earth and humans. Forgiveness of sins was needed in advance since people will continue like nothing changed, and they will nee some extra help and support, since Satan is now free lancing and on the rampage. Now law is used for evil purposes; law-fare, with many thinking this is good; sinning via the confusion would now be forgivable if there is a change of heart; sin no more.

Jews do not believe in fallen angels, the Christian devil, original sin, or hell. None of these things are supported in the Tanakh. I do not understand the rest of your word salad about laws.

Ehav4Ever

Ehav4Ever, your observation about the red letter (לְ) and the position of the word (מִ֫זְמֹ֥ור) is valid, but it's important to consider the literary practice in Hebrew literature, especially in the Psalms.
I live in Israel and I know ancient Hebrew, Mishnaic Hebrew, Aramaic, and some Judeo-Arabic. I am literally living and breathing it every day. Torah based Jews read the Tehillim in Hebrew every day, we know very well what the literary practice of our ancesters were. ;)

Again, the Jewish position of what the Tehillim are, who composed what, the history behind them, etc. has been clear for thousands of years. I recognize that certain "Christian leaders" who may know some Hebrew have determined apologetics on these topics, but that is not something Jews hold by. As I mentioned before, the challenge the NT claims Jesus made on this point is not really a challenge. If the historical Jesus did try to challenge any knowledgeable Jew in the 2nd Temple period with this they would have been able to easily answer him the way I did. The answer I provided also goes back a lot longer than the Christian response to the Jewish claims. Thus, what I stated earlier still stands.

Eliana

Islam, Judaism, Christianity and the rest of em…they all have their shortcomings. If you’re going by the book 100% in life, you’re doing it wrong.

What an asinine statement. It's the 613 mitzvot, not the 613 suggestions. Once you start picking and choosing you may as well not bother at all.

Betho_br

Trinity means three not four, please, right?

Regards
John 14:20 King James Version
At that day ye shall know that I am in my Father, and ye in me, and I in you.

1 John 3:24 King James Version
And he that keepeth his commandments dwelleth in him, and he in him. And hereby we know that he abideth in us, by the Spirit which he hath given us.

Betho_br

Oh, I'm way too curious not to ask.

And he that keepeth his commandments dwelleth in him, and he in him. And hereby we know that he abideth in us, by the Spirit which he hath given us.

Colt

I would agree everyone sins, but I don't think everyone is a sinner. It's kind of like, everyone lies but some people are just a LIAR!!! LOL I think that a sinner is someone given over to sin, someone who has no remorse, someone who doesn't repent. I think that sort of person is very different from the one who screws up from time to time and then feels bad about it.
Correct, neither did Jesus teach the original sin doctrine.

29Then Levi hosted a great banquet for Jesus at his house. A large crowd of tax collectors was there, along with others who were eating with them. 30But the Pharisees and their scribes complained to Jesus’ disciples, “Why do you eat and drink with tax collectors and sinners?”

31Jesus answered, “It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. 32I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners, to repentance.”

Dimi95

Χριστός ἀνέστη
The Messiah of the Tanakh: simply a man who will rule Israel in the idyllic messianic era at the end of time.
We see places in the Tanakh to say otherwise.That's how Jews interpret the Messianic figure , i understand that perfectly.I just don't agree with it.

The Messiah of Christianity the incarnate God who suffers and dies to save the world from their sins.
If this was said by a Christian , it would be considered theologically wrong.
Jesus was not a Christian , he was a Jew.
Jews considered that he was an apostate , but what does that mean?
We can say 'he was , but only to you'(not you personally) and that is where that ends.

Well, certainly almost the same, with only a few differences.
I don't deny that there are no differences.
But these difference came up to be in post-Christ era.They were created after.

One is superficial, which is the organization of the books. For example, 1 and 2 Kings is one book, and the minor prophets are all one book. Books like Joshua are grouped with the prophets, and Daniel is not grouped with the prophets.
That is what i am saying , the organization of books came up post-Christ era.

Sadly we have only Josephus as early as it gets

Well , at least he talks about Jesus

The Works of Josephus
The Antiquities of the Jews, Book 18, Chapter 3

"3. (63) Now, there was about this time Jesus, a wise man, if it be lawful to call him a man, for he was a doer of wonderful works-a teacher of such men as receive the truth with pleasure. He drew over to him both many of the Jews, and many of the Gentiles. He was [the] Christ; (64) and when Pilate, at the suggestion of the principal men amongst us, had condemned him to the cross, those that loved him at the first did not forsake him, for he appeared to them alive again the third day, as the divine prophets had foretold these and ten thousand other wonderful things concerning him; and the tribe of Christians, so named from him, are not extinct at this day.

Probably the only grouping that I think is a significant difference is that in the OT, it ends with the prophet Malachi, with the christian view that the OT points to the coming of the Messiah. The Tanakh on the other hand ends with Chronicles, with the Jews triumphantly returning to the Land and rebuilding the Temple, a fitting end, not a cliffhanger.
Because they rejected Jesus as the Messiah and so they organized the Books according to their own interpretation.
It doesnt matter who he is , what matters is that he confronted them , and they confronted him.

The other difference is pretty significant. Jews only accept the Hebrew texts as being the Tanakh. While translations may be helpful for those who don't read Hebrew, these translations are not considered the Tanakh.
Neither your own sources?

This is because translations are simply inadequate, often obscuring the exact meaning of the text, as well as being unable to translate puns and the numerical values of words. I can tell you from personal experience with Spanish that when I read English translations of my favorite songs, I think they are horrible. I think people that speak English only have no clue just how insufficient any translation is.
I agree.
But that means that Koine should be understood as Koine , Hebrew as Hebrew , Arabic as Arabic etc.
A non-Jew can learn Hebrew language
Same as non-Greek person can read Koine also.
Many of Orthodox clergy have learned Hebrew and Arabic through the centuries so they can preform worship in the original language.They learned from Hebrew sources.

The formation of teh Jewish canon happened in steps. The Torah was accepted first. By Jesus day, the Prophets had also been accepted by the Pharisees, but not the Sadducees, and we can throw in the Psalms. It is only The Writings that were accepted as canon after the advent of Christianity.
Yes , The Pharisees..

He argued the most with, corrected the most, and called out the Pharisees the most. He would not have done so if he didn't see them as the ones to minister to and correct. When the Temple was destroyed, the Sadducees were destroyed with it, and the Phrisees, no longer being 'separatists' (which is what Pharisee means,) became the Rabbis, and have remained so to this day.Jesus hardly bothered with the Saducees except on a couple of major occasions, mainly the resurrection of Lazarus (The sadducees did not believe in the resurrection of the dead.)
He then harshly lampooned Caiaphas with the parable of the rich man. Caiaphas had 5 brothers in law, and everyone knew he was talking about the temple gate. 'Your brothers have the law; if they don't believe that, the dead rising sure won't convince them!' I suspect Jesus had his audience rolling on the floor laughing. They all knew what he was talking about.He also harshly shaded the Sadducees and gave tacit approval to the Essenes by getting baptized by John son of Zachariah, as the Essenes claimed legitimate priesthood-in-exile over the Sadducees who were installed by the Empire into the Temple. Jesus legitimized John the Baptist was the rightful Cohen, and having him administring the Baptism using, of all things, the Jordan, way out in the countryside, as his Mikvah, was a prophesy of doom against the Temple.
Jesus may not have been a lawyer of the Pharisees, and he hammered them for being bad guides to the laity, but he agreed with them on doctrine of the prophets' inspiration (the sadducees only acknowledged Torah), doing what he could to pry away their burdensome oral additions to it. (which would later become the Talmud.)

The Sadducees were destroyed with the Temple, and the Zealots, Sicarii and Essenes were snuffed out by the Empire. The Pharisees inherited what was left.

The issue of how the Nazarenes (Jewish believers in Jesus as the Messiah who continued to practice Judaism, including making sacrifices) differentiated from the Gentile Christians who believed Jesus was God, is really a topic fit for an entirely new thread. If you want to discuss it, go ahead and start it, and do the @name to draw my attention to it.
Yes i would like to , but it will take a time , because i am pre-ocupied at the moment with study.But we can work it out.I am really pre-ocupied , i come here read-answer a little bit to chill my head.

Most scholars date Acts to 80-90 CE, although some put the range at 70-110 CE. The council of Jamnia (Yevneh) was in 90 CE, but many scholars today believe that it was actually a series of councils that began in 70 CE rather than just the one where the Rabbis ironed out Jewish canon. It would obviously be premature to say that Acts was written before Jewish canon was formed.
Some events in Acts are dated very early.
Acts is letters , it is not a Book.
Why would they not be letters if the events are dated that early?
They were persecuted group among Jews in that time.We can confirm that with Paul.
They were sending letters among each other.

The Bible is what came after , 3 centuries later.

You make a good point, but there are other factors that override it. Scholars have quite a number of different reasons for dating Acts later.
Name what overrides it.

Without knowing who are they , i can tell you they have all been answered.
You can give it a try.

The development of theology presented indicates it is closer to the end of the first century.
Theology has nothing to do with dating of texts.
Kontex it what matters.
The events are described as eye-witness accounts.
I repeat , they are not a Book , they are letters among the Early Church.

Acts is considered sequel of Luke because of Acts 1

"In my former book, Theophilus, I wrote about all that Jesus began to do and to teach 2 until the day he was taken up to heaven, after giving instructions through the Holy Spirit to the apostles he had chosen."

Paul arrived in Rome 58AD
Paul remained in custody for 2 more years (Acts 28:30) which brings us up to AD 60 for the end of the book of Acts.
Paul died 64/65 AD , Peter died 64 AD.
If their death is not mentioned then Acts was written as whole sonewhere between 60AD - 64 AD.
That is 4 year gap.
That alone tells that Luke is before that.
We can say for sure that Luke is written before 60AD.
That is what these 'schollars' don't tell ya all.

Acts is also connected to the gospel of Luke, being the second text written by the same author/authors.
Exactly , you see how you know,the second text.
I think you will understand now why Luke is dated before 60AD.

Luke contains a reference to the destruction of the Temple, meaning it was written after that event, so we can conclude that Acts was similarly written after that event. There's more but I'm trying to be succinct.
By far, Luke 21:5-33 clearly demonstrate that these verses, which parallel Matt. 24:4-35 and Mark 13:5-31, are prediction of the destruction of Jerusalem and the temple

They are not later writings.
They predict , which means before the destruction.

The epistles of Paul were written first, and are clearly written to give advice to his Gentile churches.
Most scholars believe that Paul actually wrote seven of the thirteen Pauline epistles (Galatians, Romans, 1 Corinthians, 2 Corinthians, Philemon, Philippians, 1 Thessalonians), while three of the epistles in Paul's name are widely seen as pseudepigraphic (1 Timothy, 2 Timothy, and Titus).
But this is just another b*****.
Paul does not have to write an epistile , they can be atributed to his name.

Scholars divide Acts into two parts.The first part of Acts is basically a collection of legends that developed in the decades after Jesus' death
Please give me reference link and i will read it

, and is not a reliable source of historical information. The second part which reads like a travel journal of the missionary journeys of Paul, are considered a much more reliable source.
Not a reliable source? Who says that and where is the evidence for that ?

Revelation, the last to be written, was basically designed to give hope to the Chrsitians living through the two Roman-Jewish wars. It's message is simply, "These times are horrible, but if you pull back the curtain, God is in control."
Yes , Revelation is the last to be written , that is however true.

Last edited:

Dimi95

Χριστός ἀνέστη
That because the word Lord, in both hebrew and greek, can refer to anyone in a position of power. A king or aristocrat can be called a lord. We can even speak of the lord of the manor.
YHWH is translated to Kyrios in Koine.
Kyrios means 'Master'(someone who has control over something or someone).
We see it in The Septuagint also with the name of YHWH.

A couple of important comments. Jews do not see the son of man in Daniel as referring to God, since the son of man APPROACHES the "ancient of days," aka God. But we don't even view the son of man as referring to the Messiah.
Yes , that was decided in post-Christ era.

Consider this. The passage begins with all these different animals rising up out of the water, and each is a particular nation. The passage then ends with "one like a son of man, coming with the clouds of heaven." In other words we have another country, but since a man would be superior to an animal, this country would be superior to the earlier countries. IOW the expression son of man in Daniel refers to Israel.
When i read Daniel i read something totally different from what you say.

Daniel 7
"And there was given him dominion, and glory, and a kingdom, that all the peoples, nations, and languages should serve him; his dominion is an everlasting dominion, which shall not pass away, and his kingdom that which [/b]shall not be destroyed.[/b]"

Your analogy is not logical to me when i read the verse above.

1. Miracles do not make anyone the messiah. We have the prophet Elijah doing miracles, including raising someone from the dead. It should also be mentioned that miracles happen in every religion. Miracles prove nothing.
It's not miracle as miracle itself.
It was how he was born.
It was the eye-witnesses of the ressurection.
Luke' source was probably Marry.
It's all of that and more combined.

2. While I would say that the resurrection never happened, this is not the common reason why Jews say Jesus doesn't cut the mustard to be the Messiah. Simply put, Jesus did not fulfill those prophecies about the Messiah. For example, the Messiah will usher in an era of worldwide peace. Jesus just simply didn't do that, so he is out of the running.
That's his ministry
His ministry was oriented towards world-wide peace.Except with evil , there is no peace with evil.
If we wait an era of world-wide peace , damned be we...

While there is no evidence that the original gospels were deliberately destroyed, it goes without saying that we no longer have those manuscripts.
We say they were lost in the persecution of the earl Church , which is also highly probable.

We also have evidence that they were edited in the early years, i.e. that the end of Mark and the story of the woman caught in adultery were added at a later time.
Not true

Listen , 18 minutes of your time.

It is also commonly understood among scholars that all the gospels are conglomerations of earlier texts, edited together by a later author.
What are the names of these schollars?
Any published text?

Betho_br

I live in Israel and I know ancient Hebrew, Mishnaic Hebrew, Aramaic, and some Judeo-Arabic. I am literally living and breathing it every day. Torah based Jews read the Tehillim in Hebrew every day, we know very well what the literary practice of our ancesters were. ;)

Again, the Jewish position of what the Tehillim are, who composed what, the history behind them, etc. has been clear for thousands of years. I recognize that certain "Christian leaders" who may know some Hebrew have determined apologetics on these topics, but that is not something Jews hold by. As I mentioned before, the challenge the NT claims Jesus made on this point is not really a challenge. If the historical Jesus did try to challenge any knowledgeable Jew in the 2nd Temple period with this they would have been able to easily answer him the way I did. The answer I provided also goes back a lot longer than the Christian response to the Jewish claims. Thus, what I stated earlier still stands.
I respect the Jewish perspective on the matter.

IndigoChild5559

Are you even going to TRY to answer his question?

IndigoChild5559

Are you even going to TRY to answer my question?