• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Jews don't believe in Jesus

GoodAttention

I imagine that anyone on this forum would encounter some pushback if they stated in their introductory thread that they can't stand specific religious sects, rudely stated that they don't care about what Muslims and others who don't adhere to their religious beliefs think about their religious beliefs, accused other people of their ethnicity of being apostates because they don't adhere to this member's preferred religious beliefs, and also were quite rude and demeaning when responding to others who disagreed with their religious beliefs. I wouldn't expect a person who behaves like this to come out of a heated debate unscathed and not get some pushback. Any Abrahamic theist who is familiar with the Bible should know about reaping what you sow.
I think she did pretty well considering, especially since her first comment received 7 likes and this thread has lasted longer than a week.

But then "Oh no! Someone somewhere said I was something!...and she was Jewish!"

People should harden up, be less candy-a$$, and realize Orthodox Jews are as human as anyone else.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
I think she did pretty well considering, especially since her first comment received 7 likes and this thread has lasted longer than a week.

But then "Oh no! Someone somewhere said I was something!...and she was Jewish!"

People should harden up, be less candy-a$$, and realize Orthodox Jews are as human as anyone else.

You are entitled to your opinion, and I am entitled to mine. Maybe we should agree to disagree.

GoodAttention

Of course, we agree, but that doesn't excuse rude behavior, nor does it justify accusing others of being hostile when they themselves are hostile and rude.

In her defense she explained her personality precisely in her introduction.

If you poke the bull you get the horns as they say.

In any case, apostate, pagan, infidel, they are all the same "Abrahamic" put-down, so don't hate the player, hate the game.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
accused other people of their ethnicity of being apostates because they don't adhere to this member's preferred religious beliefs,
The word apostate is simply a descriptive label that refers to someone who has converted from their original religion to another or, in some sects, has left the faith for no religion at all. It makes no sense to require someone to spell that all out in a big long sentence, when one word does the job.

.... The verse is saying, once God is truly revealed, one can no longer be oblivious to it. Agreed?
I can agree with that. :)
Question: How does one reconcile 1 John 3:7-10 with 1 John 1:8? Who are the children of God? ( I haven't read 1 John, btw )
1 John 1:8 ( NWT )​
If we make the statement, “We have no sin,” we are misleading ourselves and the truth is not in us.​
1 John 3:7-10 ( NWT )​
Little children, let no one mislead you; the one who practices righteousness is righteous, just as that one is righteous. The one who practices sin originates with the Devil, because the Devil has been sinning from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was made manifest, to break up the works of the Devil. Everyone who has been born from God does not practice sin or His seed remains in such one, and he cannot practice sin, for he has been born from God. The children of God and the children of the Devil are evident by this fact: Whoever does not practice righteousness does not originate with God, nor does the one who does not love his brother.​

Looking at them side by side, I think I know the answer. But I'm interested in your thoughts and feelings on this.
There are at least 2 ways to understand this:
a) 1 John 1:8 means they are not born of God yet, if they have sin.
b) sin can be understood in two ways, for example failing to do something, or rejecting God. As for example Prov. 24:16 could be understood.
For a righteous man falls seven times, and rises up again; But the wicked are overthrown by calamity.
Prov. 24:16

What do you think is the answer?

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
What do you think is the answer?

I'll read 1 John and get back to you. I have a theory, but, it's immature. I need to read the whole book before sharing. My theory could be total rubbish.

:)

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
It was obviously a mistake to come here

Eilana, I'm not sure if you will read this this message, but, if you do, I think it would be good for you to consider, and maybe share, what you hoped to gain from coming here. What were you hoping for? What were you expecting?

@Quagmire , I think it's really important for new members to have realistic expectations for what they are going to experience here on the forum. Lacking that, feelings get hurt, people get frustrated, conflict ensues, rules get broken, posts get reported, it's not good for anyone. The URL / domain name doesn't capture it. The mission statement is an ideal which is rarely actualized in practice. The little invite message for new members? That doesn't set realistic expectations for this website either.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Apologies.

Quote marks should be for “same” not Abrahamic.

That's not what I meant. Pagan is not an insult. It's just different. Apostate is also not an insult. Infidel is an insult. However, if a person wants to be perceived as Jewish or perceived as credible in regard to practicing Judaism, or perceived as knowledgeable regarding Jewish concepts, calling them an apostate and/ or pagan will be insulting to them. And, certainly, those words can be used as verbal projectiles. But we need these words, We need to be able to distinguish between Jewish monotheism and Paganism. We need to be able to distinguish between a practicing Jew, and one who is off the path and into the weeds. It doesn't matter if the person is insulted, their behavior and the distinctions exist. Ignoring those differences and distinctions is at best is messy at worst very harmful and destructive.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
In her defense she explained her personality precisely in her introduction.

If you poke the bull you get the horns as they say.

In any case, apostate, pagan, infidel, they are all the same "Abrahamic" put-down, so don't hate the player, hate the game.

Yes, people reap what they sow, but some will call foul when they are treated in kind.

I think that the word 'hate' is too strong a word, but I understand what you're saying.

I also think that participating in the game, as you say, is a personal choice, meaning it isn't mandatory.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Now go snipe at someone who finds such adolescent nonsense entertaining.

Says the the one who snipes first, early, and often. Typical. Why would I snipe at someone who is entertained by it? That's not sniping. You're not making any sense. Also typical. Besides, happiness and entertainment is not something you do here without criticizing or mocking or smearing. Because of this, sniping at you is precisely what I expect you want.

Muffled

Jesus in me
..so if we believe that Armageddon is a true prophecy, should we encourage it,
by differentiating between black & white, Western or Eastern, Christian or Jew?
I believe we should not but it will happen anyway. War is never a good thing and the terrible losses of life to the sword of Jesus are hard to imagine.