• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why making your children follow your religion truly is brainwashing

AmbiguousGuy

OK, but next time, if you're going to respond to one of my posts, maybe say something relevant to what you're responding to.

I'm sorry, but I see you as a believer in magic.

You think that 'logic and reason' are capable of making decisions and that you can simply observe the conclusions that they make.

I see that as belief in magic.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
I'm sorry, but I see you as a believer in magic.

You think that 'logic and reason' are capable of making decisions and that you can simply observe the conclusions that they make.

I see that as belief in magic.

Ah, so you don't understand logic and reason as they pertain to evidence. That would explain a lot of your posts here.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
There's no such thing as objective review, unless you have access to some objective source outside of yourself.

Hm...then I guess we have to get rid of science.

Sure, we can agree that there are bad ways and better ways to go about reviewing evidence, but even that is a belief. It's just one we happen to agree on.

Heck, it will even be a belief over whether we decide that a particular piece of evidence is good or not.

And it will be a belief when we decide that there is enough of this evidence.

In regards to evidence, everyone has their own gauge of what they find convincing, what they find acceptable, and how much of it they need before they are willing to commit to a concept. Your claim that there is some standard, objective, set level for everyone seems rather naïve at best, and magical thinking at worst.

This idea that all beliefs are equal and we shouldn't discourage parents from teaching their kids whatever they want because "Hey, they're all just beliefs" is what's naive and magical thinking. But hey, if it's OK with you that parents teach their kids that medicine is evil and that they can fly if they jump off a building, I guess there's not much for me to say.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
There's no such thing as objective review, unless you have access to some objective source outside of yourself.
You are an objective source, the only one you need.

I have a computer in front of me. If I turned to another person and ask them to affirm that I have a computer in front of me, and they do, that doesn't make it any more objective, it just make the whole situation silly (and my own sanity questionable).

AmbiguousGuy

Ah, so you don't understand logic and reason as they pertain to evidence. That would explain a lot of your posts here.

Actually logic is something for which I seem to have a natural talent -- probably related to my expertise with language. Since childhood, even before my linguistics' studies, I've always scored in the 99th percentile on the logic sections of standardized tests.

Sorry. You made me say it.

So would you agree that in any conflict between you and me regarding "logic and reason's" opinion about a thing... that you should defer to me as more likely understanding what they have concluded?

Or if you're most comfortable depersonalizing this, would you agree that you should defer to the highest test scorer when there is a conflict over reason and logic's conclusion on some matter?

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Actually logic is something for which I seem to have a natural talent -- probably related to my expertise with language. Since childhood, even before my linguistics' studies, I've always scored in the 99th percentile on the logic sections of standardized tests.

Sorry. You made me say it.

So would you agree that in any conflict between you and me regarding "logic and reason's" opinion about a thing... that you should defer to me as more likely understanding what they have concluded?

Or if you're most comfortable depersonalizing this, would you agree that you should defer to the highest test scorer when there is a conflict over reason and logic's conclusion on some matter?

Nope, I don't subscribe to the appeal to authority.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
"Objectivity" doesn't mean "something out there," it has no implications of locality.

It simply means the judgement that is free of opinion or feelings.

AmbiguousGuy

It's essential of human beings.

OK, I guess I disagree. I think there's a line somewhere which shouldn't be crossed.

Let's say a new religion pops up in which the parents have used logic and reason to conclude that God wants a blood sacrifice from each person. And that the best way to appease this GodNeed is to produce children and then kill those children in a particular ceremony -- providing their own blood, by proxy, to their God.

Me, I'd vote to stop these people. I'd be willing to take away their essential right to decide for themselves what logic and reason have concluded.

Call me a right-winger if you must, but I would stop them.

AmbiguousGuy

Nope, I don't subscribe to the appeal to authority.

Great. So you decide for yourself what reason and logic have concluded.

But you don't extend that same right to the parents. You don't want them to decide for themselves. Rather, you want the right to inform them what is 'fact' -- and can be taught -- and what is 'belief' -- and cannot be taught.

Yes?

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Great. So you decide for yourself what reason and logic have concluded.

But you don't extend that same right to the parents. You don't want them to decide for themselves. Rather, you want the right to inform them what is 'fact' -- and can be taught -- and what is 'belief' -- and cannot be taught.

Yes?

No. :no:

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
OK, I guess I disagree. I think there's a line somewhere which shouldn't be crossed.

Let's say a new religion pops up in which the parents have used logic and reason to conclude that God wants a blood sacrifice from each person. And that the best way to appease this GodNeed is to produce children and then kill those children in a particular ceremony -- providing their own blood, by proxy, to their God.

Me, I'd vote to stop these people. I'd be willing to take away their essential right to decide for themselves what logic and reason have concluded.

Call me a right-winger if you must, but I would stop them.
Call me a liberal, but that has nothing to do with whether I'd stop them.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
I'm glad to hear it. So we are finished here. You agree that parents can teach whatever they like to their kids. All they have to do is believe that they are teaching facts rather than teaching beliefs.

You do realize that's the opposite of what responding "No" meant, right?

And not even you agree that parents can teach whatever they like to their kids. That's what I don't get about this whole thing.

I'm pretty sure we can all agree that there are certain things parents shouldn't teach their kids. The question is where to draw the line. For instance, I hope we all agree that parents shouldn't teach their kids that they can fly when they jump off buildings or that modern medicine in any form is evil and shouldn't be used.

So the question becomes why. Why should parents not teach those things? We can point to the potential for harm in those situations, which I assume is what most would say. But what if the children decided not to test the idea that they could fly, or what if they never got sick to the point of needing medicine? So, teaching such beliefs isn't guaranteed to cause harm to kids.

If we really should be fine with parents teaching whatever they believe to be fact, it allows for so many possibilities that we agree aren't good. So, the parent can't be the final arbiter of what's fact and what's not. There has to be some standard to compare to. All I'm saying is we use that standard to teach kids facts and beliefs.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
You are an objective source, the only one you need.

I have a computer in front of me. If I turned to another person and ask them to affirm that I have a computer in front of me, and they do, that doesn't make it any more objective, it just make the whole situation silly (and my own sanity questionable).
That works for me. But I doubt that's how Magic Man is using it. ;)

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
If we really should be fine with parents teaching whatever they believe to be fact, it allows for so many possibilities that we agree aren't good.
It also allows for so many possibilities that are entirely innoculous, and even beneficially viable, such as teaching that Santa is real.