• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why "one God"?

Gnostic Seeker

Spiritual
There are plenty of false gods. None of them can prove their Godship.
Jehovah does and has proven his claim to be the only true God, by
  • Foretelling his future purposes and bringing them to reality.
  • Acting in human history when his purpose required it. Example: Jehovah destroyed Egypt as a world power to release the Israelites from slavery and to magnify himself as the only true God.
  • Revealing himself through his creative works
  • Providing his Son as a ransom for sins and resurrecting him from the dead.
  • Recording the truth about himself, his will and purposes in the Holy Scriptures
  • Raising up a great crowd of witnesses who worship and serve Jehovah at all costs

You don't see the circular logic in this? Besides all you're doing is simply insisting other gods must be false.

Gnostic Seeker

Spiritual
OK maybe there are possibilities of the existence of multiple Deities. But I find myself comfortable with the idea that God must be omnipotent and one, since He don't need many forms to do His work. If I were a polytheist I would have gone with the path that believes that there is either a Godhead or all the Deities are part of or just different versions of the Supreme One. But it is also possible that maybe there are many Deities and that they may not be omnipotent. I am still trying to find out though and it is ultimately the truth that matters.

You can take this as you will, but the Hellenic philosophers have said there is a highest god that we can simply call the good, but we only call him good by our perception. Indeed we only call him a god by our perception. This good is free from anything we can say and by its nature remains a mystery. Its not a wrong understanding to say that god can be worshipped by venerating the gods because worship can only increase by being passed through channels. This is just the thought of some of our philosophers.

Gnostic Seeker

Spiritual
So does that God have a name? I thought Zeus was above everyone, even His father?

We really only call that highest a god as a relative term, as I said. Truly we cannot say anything about it. Anything we'd say would be to limit it. Zeus is the king of the Olympians, yes.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
There is only "ONE GOD".

why did you accept it?

I didn't. Not even when that's what I was being taught. It never made any sense. Reality is quite obviously composed of discrete objects that have relationships and interactions with each other. I'll grant that if we get down to the atomic level, there is more sameness than we perceive, but humans do not experience reality on an atomic level, they experience it on a macro scale. My gods are the various aspects of reality, and I'm going to regard them as I perceive them in day to day life. That is, Gaea (planet earth) is quite obviously not the same as Mars, Oak Tree is not Blue Jay, the Spirit of Creativity is not the Spirit of Wrath, and my mother is not your mother.

Levite

Higher and Higher
There is only "ONE GOD".

why did you accept it? How does this make sense? What are its properties? (volume, weight, mass etc,). What was/is its necessity?

Please post your comments.
Thanking you

That is the teaching of my religion, and what I was brought up to believe. But when I questioned my beliefs, I was still led back to the simple elegance of one God, a sole source and single cause for all things.

We believe God has no physicality, and therefore no physical properties.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
Why do you believe Islam is the truth though when it contradicts clear simple arguments like the one I have so far put forth? I could bring other arguments, but there's no need to bring a house to crush an ant, and you've yet to show monotheism stands up against the simplest of arguments.

Your argument failed, we have one sun to our earth, that shows your argument for plurality as a stupid one.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
Wheras polytheism is perfectly consistent with the plurality present in nature. It also alligns with the observed fact that differing things are governed by differing powers and have their own nature.

Why only one earth ?
Is it hard for Gods to make one more earth close to ours.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
There is only "ONE GOD".

why did you accept it? How does this make sense? What are its properties? (volume, weight, mass etc,). What was/is its necessity?

Thanking you
Kind of hard to explain, but through the experience of unity with God and the realization there is no separateness.

In this reality we can only experience separateness. Even God we perceive as separate. Even this separateness of God is an illusion. However this separate God can be experienced as much as anything else in this reality. Even the experience of multiple Gods can be experienced. However beyond all of these experiences of separateness there is the experience of singularity which it is also possible to know. The experience of the singular is what I define as God.

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
There is only "ONE GOD".

Thanking you

I could never believe in "one" god. Even when I was a practicing catholic, the concept of a single omni-god, never sat well with me. It was natural, and comforting for me to believe in multiple gods. It meshed with my worldview and made more sense (as has been pointed out here ad infinitum) due to the natural plurality of reality.

I can see and understand why others would believe in one god, but it does not make sense to me personally.

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
Why only one earth ?
Is it hard for Gods to make one more earth close to ours.

Why would the gods give us two "earth" like planets, we haven't even proved to them that we can take care of the single one we have.We are too busy fighting about whose gods are right, and not doing what matters, being the stewards of this planet as we should.

EDIT: There are a huge amount of habitable earth type planets. BTW.
8.8 billion habitable Earth-size planets exist in Milky Way alone - NBC News

Last edited:

Sabour

There is only "ONE GOD".

Thanking you

If there is more than one god than there is not god for a god must have the ability to do anything he wills. So it only makes sense that there is One God.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
Why would the gods give us two "earth" like planets, we haven't even proved to them that we can take care of the single one we have.We are too busy fighting about whose gods are right, and not doing what matters, being the stewards of this planet as we should.

EDIT: There are a huge amount of habitable earth type planets. BTW.
8.8 billion habitable Earth-size planets exist in Milky Way alone - NBC News

Why earth like planets have to be thousands of light years away ? there are several planets in our solar system, what the purpose of creating them ?

God don't breed like humans and animals to make many Gods

Gnostic Seeker

Spiritual
If there is more than one god than there is not god for a god must have the ability to do anything he wills. So it only makes sense that there is One God.

That's your definition, but I see gods as beings with natures, and they have their own limitations within those natures. Anything that has a nature has limitations, and to be without a nature is to be nothing.

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
Why earth like planets have to be thousands of light years away ? there are several planets in our solar system, what the purpose of creating them ?

God don't breed like humans and animals to make many Gods

How do you know they don't? Are you God? Is he within your comprehension? You have said before that he is not within your comprehension, which means there are many things not within your realm of comprehension correct? You also then cannot presume to know God's needs, abilities and wants.

There is not more then one planet within this solar system because the narrow "belt of life" around a particular star is really small. Some solar systems do have 2 or three planets in this zone. We have one. This does nothing but solidify the claim of plurality within the universe.

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
Multiple planets doesn't mean multiple gods. Sorry dudes.

Never claimed multiple planets meant multiple gods. Multiple planets means plurality is common within the universe, that was the basis of the argument.

And that is your opinion.

I on the other hand, do believe in multiple gods, on the basis of plurality within the universe. Which is kinda how this whole thing started.

Sabour

That's your definition, but I see gods as beings with natures, and they have their own limitations within those natures. Anything that has a nature has limitations, and to be without a nature is to be nothing.

I don't see how a god would have limitations.

Still you can suggest that this is my definition