• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why "one God"?

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
I believe in one G-d, ie monotheism, and not even 'satan'.
Even if 'satan' exists he has no power.
Never claimed multiple planets meant multiple gods. Multiple planets means plurality is common within the universe, that was the basis of the argument.

And that is your opinion.

I on the other hand, do believe in multiple gods, on the basis of plurality within the universe. Which is kinda how this whole thing started.

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
I don't see how a god would have limitations.

Still you can suggest that this is my definition

Typically polytheists don't see their gods as being omnimax (-scient -benevelent,-potent, -present, etc), so the reality of limitations is a given.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
How do you know they don't? Are you God? Is he within your comprehension? You have said before that he is not within your comprehension, which means there are many things not within your realm of comprehension correct? You also then cannot presume to know God's needs, abilities and wants.

There is not more then one planet within this solar system because the narrow "belt of life" around a particular star is really small. Some solar systems do have 2 or three planets in this zone. We have one. This does nothing but solidify the claim of plurality within the universe.

And how do you know there are many Gods and how they become many Gods, are they fighting each others or living in peace.

It isn't about which God/Gods we believe in as we don't know how God look like but we know what religions.

Just to give examples, atheists don't have problems with adultery whereas i find it offensive, they don't have problems with prostitution whereas i find it offensive ...etc

I believe about my religion and i believe what it says that God is only one that what i believe and its up to you to believe that there are billions of Gods breeding like animals.

Sabour

Typically polytheists don't see their gods as being omnimax (-scient -benevelent,-potent, -present, etc), so the reality of limitations is a given.

I wouldn't say it is given. I would say it is an adopted view that needs to be discussed, because it doesn't make sense to call something limited god.

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
And how do you know there are many Gods and how they become many Gods, are they fighting each others or living in peace.

It isn't about which God/Gods we believe in as we don't know how God look like but we know what religions.

Just to give examples, atheists don't have problems with adultery whereas i find it offensive, they don't have problems with prostitution whereas i find it offensive ...etc

I believe about my religion and i believe what it says that God is only one that what i believe and its up to you to believe that there are billions of Gods breeding like animals.

I believe in multiple Gods because I have experienced multiple Gods. I have never experienced a single god, I have experienced a universal force, but this is not a god, this is Nwyfre.

Your generalizations of atheists is really offensive and inappropriate, I would keep your blatant generalizations to yourself. Just because someone does not believe in religion or god(s), does not make them ok with adultery or prostitution. It does not take a religion to tell you that those things are socially objectionable. I also know many religious people who are ok with these things.

I also never said that the gods are fornicating, I merely said it is beyond our comprehension to really know and understand that. There are also many stories of the gods and angels coming down and sleeping with women. We don't know if that is true, nor do I personally think it matters.

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
I wouldn't say it is given. I would say it is an adopted view that needs to be discussed, because it doesn't make sense to call something limited god.

God (noun) : a superhuman being or spirit worshiped as having power over nature or human fortunes; a deity.

This does not imply that they have to have control or power over everything, that is a pure monotheistic concept. There are gods of Water, Gods of Death, Gods of Healing. The god of Healing is not going to be out causing harm, it is not within their realm, just as the god of death is not going to come and cure you of your cold.

Sabour

God (noun) : a superhuman being or spirit worshiped as having power over nature or human fortunes; a deity.

This does not imply that they have to have control or power over everything, that is a pure monotheistic concept. There are gods of Water, Gods of Death, Gods of Healing. The god of Healing is not going to be out causing harm, it is not within there realm, just as the god of death is not going to come and cure you of your cold.

Neither does the definition imply the opposite of what you said. Besides you can't assume that there is god for this and god for that because sometimes this and that are connected to each other and one thing leads to the other. In that case a god would be forcing another god to take action and thus that god ceases to be a god because he was controlled by the other god.

The idea of having more than one god isn't logical.

Just because many people do believe in it doesn't make it true.

Draupadi

A planet was discovered near a star system of three stars. And I didn't know that only atheists were OK with fornication. Sorry to burst your bubble Fear God but I know many Muslims who are OK with it too.

Levite

Higher and Higher
But is even believing in one god logical as well? Seems that this can be played out in different ways.

It's probably subjective. There will be some people for whom the notion of one God is perfectly reasonable and logical; there will be others for whom the notion of multiple gods or no God at all or some more vague and diffuse quasi-theology is similarly reasonable and logical, and the idea of one God simply fails to be compelling.

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
Neither does the definition imply the opposite of what you said. Besides you can't assume that there is god for this and god for that because sometimes this and that are connected to each other and one thing leads to the other. In that case a god would be forcing another god to take action and thus that god ceases to be a god because he was controlled by the other god.

The idea of having more than one god isn't logical.

Just because many people do believe in it doesn't make it true.

Just because many people believe in one god, does not make it true, just because many people believe in no gods does not make it true.

On the flip side, the concept of an Omnimax god is illogical. He can see, feel, think, create, and be everything, therefor knows every single thing we will or won't do, in turn punishing us and/or forgiving us based on choices he knew infinitely in advance were bound to happen. An omniscient god cannot exist, on this basis alone.

To me it seems more logical that the Gods can have limitations, there by removing this entire omnimax fallacy from the mix. The gods do/or do not "force" one another to do anything, I do not believe it is something we can understand.

Like I said, I have had experiences with multiple gods, and spirits, which has led me to believe what I do. I was monotheist for a period in time, but it was something that did not work for me, personally.

Sabour

Just because many people believe in one god, does not make it true, just because many people believe in no gods does not make it true.

On the flip side, the concept of an Omnimax god is illogical. He can see, feel, think, create, and be everything, therefor knows every single thing we will or won't do, in turn punishing us and/or forgiving us based on choices he knew infinitely in advance were bound to happen. An omniscient god cannot exist, on this basis alone.

To me it seems more logical that the Gods can have limitations, there by removing this entire omnimax fallacy from the mix. The gods do/or do not "force" one another to do anything, I do not believe it is something we can understand.

Like I said, I have had experiences with multiple gods, and spirits, which has led me to believe what I do. I was monotheist for a period in time, but it was something that did not work for me, personally.

You are wrong about the basis you established to come to your conclusion.

Allah knows what everyone of us would do, but we don't. There will not come a day when we would tell Allah that if we had actually lived it could have been different. Living doesn't imply that Allah doesn't know.

For me it doesn't make sense for me AT ALL to have even two god, let alone having many. If you think about it, the fact that god can't force one another to do anything makes them not gods and not worthy of worship.

As for your last line, that is generally something that I keep focusing on. Beliefs is not about it working for you. It is about searching for the truth based on logical evidence and adapting our lives to it.

Life is not about God searching for us, it is about us searching for God.