• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why "one God"?

Sabour

Well do you believe your god has a nature? A being? Who he is? Like to be human is to have human nature, to be a tree is to have that nature, etc.
Here is a link to what I believe about ALlah.

Islam is based on monotheism. Tawhid, the oneness of Allah, is an essential belief for all Muslims. Islam teaches that Allah, the one god, has 99 attributes. Although we can understand some of His attributes, His essence cannot be comprehended by a human's limited mental capacity. Allah has created mankind primarily so that they may know their creator through his creations.

Nature of Allah | Books on Islam and Muslims | Al-Islam.org

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
I believe in multiple Gods because I have experienced multiple Gods. I have never experienced a single god, I have experienced a universal force, but this is not a god, this is Nwyfre.

Your generalizations of atheists is really offensive and inappropriate, I would keep your blatant generalizations to yourself. Just because someone does not believe in religion or god(s), does not make them ok with adultery or prostitution. It does not take a religion to tell you that those things are socially objectionable. I also know many religious people who are ok with these things.

I also never said that the gods are fornicating, I merely said it is beyond our comprehension to really know and understand that. There are also many stories of the gods and angels coming down and sleeping with women. We don't know if that is true, nor do I personally think it matters.

Your experience with many Gods isn't a reason for others to believe in your Gods.

God of healing(Asclepius),lol
I know now why we don't have cancers anymore on earth.

Gnostic Seeker

Spiritual
I wouldn't say it is given. I would say it is an adopted view that needs to be discussed, because it doesn't make sense to call something limited god.

Yet if gods have a nature, if gods are SOMETHING, that entails limitations. I'm waiting to hear explanations for why you think your god is exempt from the common laws of existence.

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
You are wrong about the basis you established to come to your conclusion.

Allah knows what everyone of us would do, but we don't. There will not come a day when we would tell Allah that if we had actually lived it could have been different. Living doesn't imply that Allah doesn't know.

For me it doesn't make sense for me AT ALL to have even two god, let alone having many. If you think about it, the fact that god can't force one another to do anything makes them not gods and not worthy of worship.

As for your last line, that is generally something that I keep focusing on. Beliefs is not about it working for you. It is about searching for the truth based on logical evidence and adapting our lives to it.

Life is not about God searching for us, it is about us searching for God.

I never said that we know everything we will do, we do not know until we do it. But with that being said, how is a god that knows everything you will or will not do, punish you for something he already knew was going to happen? That to me makes no sense.

But again, that is your religion and your view, you can believe whatever you want, that does not make it the truth, or the "one". I don't claim my religion is the only right path up the mountain. There are many, but this is the path I have chosen to walk.

I agree with your last line. And I searched for years before finding my Gods. But I disagree with there being only "one" truth. That is a concept of Abrahamic religions, not a concept of reality. Just as there are many forms of gov't, there are many gods and religions. It does not make one better or worse then the other. Everything has pros and cons.

You enjoy being in the presence of Allah, and receiving his graces, and all that goes along with it. Keep it up. It works for you. But that does not mean Allah is right for every single person on earth, that's authoritarian and tyrannical.

Sabour

Yet if gods have a nature, if gods are SOMETHING, that entails limitations. I'm waiting to hear explanations for why you think your god is exempt from the common laws of existence.

I think you should learn more about Allah in Islam. I already linked an article to explain certain things in my previous replies.

morphesium

I think it depends on what religion we believe in.

For example Atheists don't believe in any religion hence they don't believe in any God./Gods.

For the religion which i believe in is saying that God is only one and that his reality isn't the same as ours and hence nothing that we know can be comparable to him, so simply describing him will be a matter of guessing.

so we have "zero " God for Atheists.
One God for monotheists
and many for polytheists.

Now, that you happened to be a monotheist, why did you accept it? simply because religion said so or because you had reasons?

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
Your experience with many Gods isn't a reason for others to believe in your Gods.

God of healing(Asclepius),lol
I know now why we don't have cancers anymore on earth.

You can mock my gods, and I will draw pictures of your prophets *shrug*.

You're experience with the Quran and Allah is no reason to believe your religion is right either. But it is right for you, and that is what matters.

I do not care whether or not my Gods are right for someone else, which you seem to not grasp. I don't care who or what you believe in, it has no bearing on my life. No one religion is right for the world, therefore there will always be multiple paths up the same mountain.

Sabour

I never said that we know everything we will do, we do not know until we do it. But with that being said, how is a god that knows everything you will or will not do, punish you for something he already knew was going to happen? That to me makes no sense.

But again, that is your religion and your view, you can believe whatever you want, that does not make it the truth, or the "one". I don't claim my religion is the only right path up the mountain. There are many, but this is the path I have chosen to walk.

I agree with your last line. And I searched for years before finding my Gods. But I disagree with there being only "one" truth. That is a concept of Abrahamic religions, not a concept of reality. Just as there are many forms of gov't, there are many gods and religions. It does not make one better or worse then the other. Everything has pros and cons.

You enjoy being in the presence of Allah, and receiving his graces, and all that goes along with it. Keep it up. It works for you. But that does not mean Allah is right for every single person on earth, that's authoritarian and tyrannical.

Friend there is one reality, meaning that there is only one true set of beliefs. It is either there is one or there is none. There is no possibility that there would be more than one when there are so much contradictions.

I would rather say that atheism has it right rather than saying there are different paths which lead to the same result.

The fact that Allah already knows your decision doesn't mean you don't have the freedom to choose. The fact that I know that my child would choose to drink milk rather than drinking coffee doesn't mean I am forcing him to choose to drink milk

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
It's probably subjective. There will be some people for whom the notion of one God is perfectly reasonable and logical; there will be others for whom the notion of multiple gods or no God at all or some more vague and diffuse quasi-theology is similarly reasonable and logical, and the idea of one God simply fails to be compelling.
Well said, I agree, and...

Shabbat shalom.

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
Friend there is one reality, meaning that there is only one true set of beliefs. It is either there is one or there is none. There is no possibility that there would be more than one when there are so much contradictions.

I would rather say that atheism has it right rather than saying there are different paths which lead to the same result.

The fact that Allah already knows your decision doesn't mean you don't have the freedom to choose. The fact that I know that my child would choose to drink milk rather than drinking coffee doesn't mean I am forcing him to choose to drink milk

It exactly means you do not have the freedom to choose that decision. You cannot choose a decision that was already pre-destined to be made.

And if you do know that your child is going to drink milk, instead of coffee -- even though you forbade milk -- why would you beat your child for then drinking the milk? Why would it be available to him in the first place? You knew he would drink it, why not get rid of the milk and only have coffee?

Sabour

I understand that Islam engages in special pleading for Allah without any reasonable cause, as this thread well demonstrates.

I didn't understand why you said that. You were asking for something and I answered you. I didn't get how you reached your conclusion but let me tell you that we have the proof. It is the Quraan and it explains everything and has all the answers that a normal person would ask about God and life in general.

Gnostic Seeker

Spiritual
Since its been asked why we call limited beings gods, I'd like to raise Epicurius's problem of evil, which was formulated as a counter-apologetic against monotheism:

If your god is omnimax, able to prevent evil, but will not- why call him a god?

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
Anyways, I have to go. I can't keep sitting here and debating this. Ta-ta friends. It has been infuriatingly interesting this afternoon :).

Also, the Quran answered none of my questions, nor did it make sense to me. I do own and have read, the Quran, as I have the KJV.

Sabour

It exactly means you do not have the freedom to choose that decision. You cannot choose a decision that was already pre-destined to be made.

And if you do know that your child is going to drink milk, instead of coffee -- even though you forbade milk -- why would you beat your child for then drinking the milk? Why would it be available to him in the first place? You knew he would drink it, why not get rid of the milk and only have coffee?

You are wrong on your first assumption and I explained why. Allah gave us the freedom to act the way we want.

To answer your second question you have to understand the purpose of life in Islam and understand Allah in Islam and the concepts of heaven and hell.

Are you interested in these things or you were just trying to make a point ?

Sabour

Anyways, I have to go. I can't keep sitting here and debating this. Ta-ta friends. It has been infuriatingly interesting this afternoon :).

Also, the Quran answered none of my questions, nor did it make sense to me. I do own and have read, the Quran, as I have the KJV.
Thanks for your time.

I hope we can be friends and have constructive discussions even if we disagree and were actually the opposites.

Sabour

Since its been asked why we call limited beings gods, I'd like to raise Epicurius's problem of evil, which was formulated as a counter-apologetic against monotheism:

If your god is omnimax, able to prevent evil, but will not- why call him a god?

You have something missing my friend. One can't throw assumptions and say Allah should do this and that. But rather one should understand of why things are that way rather than saying this should be this and that should be that.

It reminds me of an argument saying that Allah is not omnipotent because Allah can't be wrong.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind

There is good and there is bad, do you think that there are many Satans or none, and if none , why there is none.