• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why "one God"?

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Well that's your decision, but the point of this thread is to question that belief. We're taking you to task. WHY one god?
Why...though.
I have many years in meditation experience, for instance, do you? What are you presenting as a legit argument? Why would I take your 'criticisms' seriously?

Gnostic Seeker

Spiritual
Why you are saying it is a dilemma for momotheists? Are you saying am not a monotheists?

I know the answers to these questions. As I told you Quraan has answers for all of these questions. I still don't know how you guys come up with these conclusions.

Evil that exists is simply a part of life and a part of the test we are taking in this life. That is to put in a simple way.

Meaning Epicurius formulated the problem of evil to point out how an omnimax god wouldn't be worth worshipping, if such a god exists. He doesn't do anything to prevent evil, or intervene, even with the power to do so. This is why the Greeks didn't worry about the good's attributes and will. If the goof is a being its the Deist god. Its too high to care. If you take it into your mind to worship something so high, worship the gods, because virtue can only increase by being passed through channels. That is if you think the good a thing to be worshipped.

Gnostic Seeker

Spiritual
Why...though.
I have many years in meditation experience, for instance, do you? What are you presenting as a legit argument? Why would I take your 'criticisms' seriously?

Why would you come to a thread whose debate point is questioning the belief in just one god and not answer questions?

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
Meaning Epicurius formulated the problem of evil to point out how an omnimax god wouldn't be worth worshipping, if such a god exists. He doesn't do anything to prevent evil, or intervene, even with the power to do so. This is why the Greeks didn't worry about the good's attributes and will. If the goof is a being its the Deist god. Its too high to care. If you take it into your mind to worship something so high, worship the gods, because virtue can only increase by being passed through channels. That is if you think the good a thing to be worshipped.

I'm not sure if omnibenevolence is included as a trait of the Islamic god. Their god is not the all-loving, self-sacrificing god of the New Testament. It's the angry OT god.

morphesium

That is the teaching of my religion, and what I was brought up to believe. But when I questioned my beliefs, I was still led back to the simple elegance of one God, a sole source and single cause for all things.

We believe God has no physicality, and therefore no physical properties.
That was great of you. not much people do that. Most people simply accept it.

I do quite agree with physical properties. But what about mathematical properties.
for example, can we count space, water;NO. we say little space, some water etc but not one water (one liter of water is different - it is the liter we count). In Hindu religion there is a saying, that "God is everywhere". in the water, in the air, in you , in me, etc. so if we take some water, there is God in it - Pour it into two glass and you haven't halved God as you pour it into two glass . there is not the same god in the two glass of water, but God in those water. Is that the mathematical property of God - I don't know.
What I am asking is when we say one God, How do we know that God has the mathematical property which enables us to count God. what i am saying isn't it more truthful or more elagant to say just "God" than "one God"

morphesium

Kind of hard to explain, but through the experience of unity with God and the realization there is no separateness.

In this reality we can only experience separateness. Even God we perceive as separate. Even this separateness of God is an illusion. However this separate God can be experienced as much as anything else in this reality. Even the experience of multiple Gods can be experienced. However beyond all of these experiences of separateness there is the experience of singularity which it is also possible to know. The experience of the singular is what I define as God.
And its too hard to understand.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
What I am asking is when we say one God, How do we know that God has the mathematical property which enables us to count God. what i am saying isn't it more truthful or more elagant to say just "God" than "one God"

I suspect in order to differentiate between polytheist beliefs.

morphesium

Monotheism just makes sense to me. All is one, One is all. It feels right. You can only have one beginning of everything and one end of everything. And one God to make it all happen.

But, aside from that, I believe in Monotheism because I've had an experience and have come to know the reality of the 'Abrahamic' God. Monotheism or Polytheism never really came into it, And what I mean by that is that it wasn't really a choice.
do you believe in any of the physical properties of God. How it looks like , etc.

Sabour

Told you already, you have the purpose of life is a missing part of the puzzle.

It is not about choosing what fits you, it is about embracing the truth.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Why "one God"?

In reality there is only ONE.
It is for this that Universe is in one system and hence we get science.

Regards

morphesium

If there is more than one god than there is not god for a god must have the ability to do anything he wills. So it only makes sense that there is One God.

To say that there is one God, you have to accept that there is a mathematical property in God with which we can Count God.
for example, can we count space, water;NO (these have uncountable property). we say little space, some water etc but not one water (one liter of water is different - it is the liter we count). In Hindu religion there is a saying, that "God is everywhere". in the water, in the air, in you , in me, etc. so if we take some water, there is God in it ( not some God in it)- Pour it into two glass and you haven't halved God as you pour it into two glass . there is not the same god in the two glass of water nor two Gods in those glasses of water, but God in those water. Is that the mathematical property of God - I don't know.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
What I run across so often is essentially an anthropomorphizing of God, which I also did years ago but finally realized that this approach doesn't make a great deal of sense-- at least to me. And the scriptures tend to take this approach if interpreted at the more literal level.

To me, it seems more likely that God is more likely to be intrinsic with our universe, not likely teaching us anything-- therefore, no teachings, no heaven, no hell, etc. IOW, I tend to lean in the direction of Spinoza's drift, but I simply don't know whether a pantheistic, panentheistic, or none of the above approach is correct.

Reactions: gsa

morphesium

To say that there is one God, you have to accept that there is a mathematical property in God with which we can Count God.
for example, can we count space, water;NO (these have uncountable property). we say little space, some water etc but not one water (one liter of water is different - it is the liter we count). In Hindu religion there is a saying, that "God is everywhere". in the water, in the air, in you , in me, etc. so if we take some water, there is God in it ( not some God in it)- Pour it into two glass and you haven't halved God as you pour it into two glass . there is not the same god in the two glass of water nor two Gods in those glasses of water, but God in those water. Is that the mathematical property of God - I don't know.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Everything is in plurality isn't correct statement.

I ain't saying how the sun came to existence but the fact that we have only one sun for earth and not 2, we have only one H2O which is water ...etc, so the argument that everything is in plurality doesn't make sense.

We have more than one types of water, actually. Salt and fresh are two of the most common, and relevant, variants. Plus, water is made up of three components. One H (hydrogen) and two Os (oxygen).

Plurality.

morphesium

atheists don't have problems with adultery whereas i find it offensive, they don't have problems with prostitution whereas i find it offensive ...etc

That doesn't make sense. Inst there Adultery among monotheist people. Isn't there prostitution among monotheist people. what about child marriages that occur in all most all parts of the world where islamic religion prevails. I have even seen a video of an Imam saying that " there is nothing wrong in marring a 6 year old girl, prophet Mohammed did that (He is Mr. right after all). as Muslims we are simply following his acts".

gsa

I suppose it depends on what you think God, or gods, or a god, is meant to be, or is.
I'm not sure if omnibenevolence is included as a trait of the Islamic god. Their god is not the all-loving, self-sacrificing god of the New Testament. It's the angry OT god.

It isn't entirely clear that the God of Christianity is all loving and self-sacrificing; there are references to the wrath of God and clear links between the gospel and Pauline accounts and Yhwh/Elohim. The Gnostics separated the two, but not so much the group that came to dominate Christianity. If you talk to a modern day Calvinist, I don't think you would consider their God much different from the God worshiped by conservative Muslims.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

One is not used here as a mathematical integer. It is for this that in Arabic for God the word "Ahad" is used instead of the word "Wahid":

The Holy Quran : Chapter 112: Al-Ikhlas

[112:2]Say, ‘He is Allah, the One;

1. The Holy Quran Arabic text with Translation in English text and Search Engine - Al Islam Online
2. The Holy Quran

For detailed etymology please access the link (2) given above.

Regards

Last edited: