• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why So Much Trinity Bashing?

SLPCCC

No, I believe the "mighty God, everlasting Father" was Baha'u'llah, who was born in 1817 AD.

If you research "Evidence of Jesus' death and resurrection" you might reconsider. I don't want to go off-topic in this thread, so I'll just encourage you to do more in-depth research on Jesus' death, resurrection and existence.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Do you not belive that three can be one?
No, I don't. It is an irrational idea. One of the most basic rules of logic is that something cannot be X and Not X at the same time. Thus, there is no such thing as something being 1 an 3 at the same time. You can have 1 thing that has three parts. You can have 1 thing that has three modes. But you cannot simultaneously have something that is 1 thing and 3 things.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
If you research "Evidence of Jesus' death and resurrection" you might reconsider. I don't want to go off-topic in this thread, so I'll just encourage you to do more in-depth research on Jesus' death, resurrection and existence.
Jesus' death, resurrection and existence has nothing to do with the return of Jesus to this earth. That is what we were discussing.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
What we believe is that his body isn’t alive… but he is alive in the presence of God. (There are many scriptures for this position)
Of course the person of Jesus is alive, now in heaven with the Father. I agree with your statement above, Kenny. Thank you for your response.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
No, I don't. It is an irrational idea. One of the most basic rules of logic is that something cannot be X and Not X at the same time. Thus, there is no such thing as something being 1 an 3 at the same time. You can have 1 thing that has three parts. You can have 1 thing that has three modes. But you cannot simultaneously have something that is 1 thing and 3 things.
Based on the fact that some people believe the Bible is based on myths, it's almost like anything goes when it comes to a definition of who God is.

Brian2

Veteran Member
I have no finger in that pulse, but I do know that certain movements have challenged Trinitarianism while claiming to be part of Christianity for a considerable time. The best known examples would include the Seventh Day Adventists and the Jehovah's Witnesses.

I suspect that there is some measure of willingness to challenge or deemphasize the Trinity in some circles in order to smooth over disagreements of doctrine with other groups in some circles, particularly when there is a goal of finding common ground between Christianity and Islam.

It may have become more of an issue in recent years just because there is more awareness of those disagreements, or there may be something else at work. I don't know.

The 7th Day Adventists are Trinitarian these days.

Brian2

Veteran Member
Why should that be relevant?

Presumably a Christian creed is the thoughtful consensus of the core beliefs transmitted by the NT. What rule assures that a 325 C.E. consensus is more correct than 19th century reassessment?

The Apostolic Fathers, those in the orthodox Christians who knew apostles should be more relevant, and they have called Jesus their God.

PearlSeeker

Are you saying "yes" that there are two Mighty Gods and two Everlasting Fathers? So, you believe in polytheism?
Please read again what I wrote:

"Jewish names for human beings often declare or reflecting a particular attribute of God, e.g. Eliakim. No polytheism."

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
It's not crap, the church today is derived from Constantine's church, just like the books of the Bible were selected by men under Constantine's dominion.
Why do you guys all hate Constnatine? Wtf is the problem?

He wasn't even theologically literate; he had no hand in this. He just organised a council to ask Christianity to get its act together and agree on basics.

I guess those who are irritated are heterodox, somehow, and think Constantine changed their orthodoxy intro heterodoxy, but there's literally zero evidence of any such conspiracy.

I'm tired of this CONSTANTINEEEEE crap. It's Protestant polemic and I don't even know what against.

What exactly changed after Constantine?

Last edited:

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Of course the person of Jesus is alive, now in heaven with the Father. I agree with your statement above, Kenny. Thank you for your response.
I’m sorry… my fault… I meant people:

Rev 6:
9 And when he had opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of them that were slain for the word of God, and for the testimony which they held:
10 And they cried with a loud voice, saying, How long, O Lord, holy and true, dost thou not judge and avenge our blood on them that dwell on the earth?
11 And white robes were given unto every one of them; and it was said unto them, that they should rest yet for a little season, until their fellowservants also and their brethren, that should be killed as they were, should be fulfilled.

These people have died and are still awaiting their spiritual bodies since Jesus hasn’t come back yet with all the saints.

2 Corinthians 5:8
We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord.

Other versus declare that people are alive after their bodies died

SLPCCC

Jesus' death, resurrection and existence has nothing to do with the return of Jesus to this earth. That is what we were discussing.

Yes, it does. Jesus was either a liar, a lunatic, a legend, or indeed the Son of God who promised to return.

I believe Jesus claimed to be God in all four Gospels. I believe the four Gospels are first-century biographies of Jesus. If Jesus did exist, died on the cross, and was resurrected, there can be no other God but the God of the bible.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Ignatius
Clement
Polycarp

Thanks.

My request was in response to the following (with emphasis added) ...

The Apostolic Fathers, those in the orthodox Christians who knew apostles should be more relevant, and they have called Jesus their God.
Can you think of anything other than Church tradition that established which apostle or apostles each knew?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Why do you guys all hate Constantine? Wtf is the problem?

He wasn't even theologically literate; he had no hand in this. He just organised a council to ask Christianity to get its act together and agree on basics.

I guess those who are irritated are heterodox, somehow, and think Constantine changed their orthodoxy intro heterodoxy, but there's literally zero evidence of any such conspiracy.

I'm tired of this CONSTANTINEEEEE crap. It's Protestant polemic and I don't even know what against.

What exactly changed after Constantine?
Just a wild guess (and I mean that; no irony whatsoever), but one thing that may well have changed due to Constantine is the perception of heresies and of religious diversity.

There is no a priori self-evident reason why a community would need a clear orthodoxy - or, indeed, any orthodoxy. We tend to expect it, but that too is largely inherited tradition.

There are downsides to that situation, and it is legitimate to ask whether it was worth the price.

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
Thanks.

My request was in response to the following (with emphasis added) ...

Can you think of anything other than Church tradition that established which apostle or apostles each knew?
Asking for orthodox before a sure notion of orthodoxy existed is not really a good question. These guys are quoted by Catholics, Orthodox and Anglicans as authorities so I think that's good enough.

Longstanding Trinity opposer here. Here's the thing, It's all God so in this light Jesus is God. Jesus was also one of us, so he was also human. The holy spirit is part of the Godhead, so Father, son, and Holy spirit are the three in one trinitarian view. I think I was trying to look at it as if any of the three can truly be separate. It's all God - these three aspects of God make up the Godhead. The question then becomes what is the Godhead and why only these three? I'm not sure, but I'm certain truth (holy spirit) son (children) and Father (creators/parental) is the basis for a right understanding.