• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why would God send good people to Hell just because they dont believe he exists?

waitasec

Veteran Member
pt 2
Yeah and it's totally not cool, it's just funny to see someone that doesn't believe in the Bible do the same thing.
i can only make my point meaningful if the passage i use is in the original context...otherwise it's self defeating so what would be the point.

IF (and that's a big if) they were sinless (blameless, perfect) and they still went to Hell, I would agree with out 100%.

Sad thing is no matter how awesome and loving you are to people, you are still guilty of sin. No one is perfect.
who's talking about being perfect
in matthew 25:31-46...perfection isn't required, compassion is.

You are right - it would set them apart in the eyes of the people, because people would see the Spirit of God working in their lives to transform them. It is impossible to please God without faith - nice things without faith are meaningless as pointed out in James.

I think Christ even said it is impossible to please God without faith. Could be wrong. Too lazy to google it, I have to go soon...
i'll eat my dirty sandal if you can find a passage from jesus saying that.
really i will! and i'll post it on youtube just for you...:D
this idea does not originate in the gospels it's an idea that came about because jesus hadn't returned as of yet and the only way to reconcile that dilemma is by having faith.

matthew 9:9-13
9 As Jesus went on from there, he saw a man named Matthew sitting at the tax collector’s booth. “Follow me,” he told him, and Matthew got up and followed him.
10 While Jesus was having dinner at Matthew’s house, many tax collectors and sinners came and ate with him and his disciples. 11 When the Pharisees saw this, they asked his disciples, “Why does your teacher eat with tax collectors and sinners?”

12 On hearing this, Jesus said, “It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. 13 But go and learn what this means: ‘I desire mercy, not sacrifice.’[a] For I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners.”

I think we talked about this in another thread maybe...we won't judge the world until we have been made perfect and recreated, because later in the same book he commands Christians to not judge those outside the church.
so why subject unbelievers to religious ideology? (i'm not saying you do but you cannot deny that the religious right does) it is not a christians right to do so when jesus says in luke 6:30 Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back...
that would include the right to marry their soul mate wouldn't it? so why vote against it? i would consider that an act of control rather than an act of faith.

This is more about presenting an image to pagans, an image that says 'yeah we are loving and forgiving but we can't love or forgive each other, so we need your help once you are done having your orgy' that looks bad.
huh? who's having an orgy, the believers or the unbelievers?

Both. I often fail at both, but I try.

I try to do both. It's hard to show on the internet ;)
i suggest just be your awesome self... and if god really works through you then let him :rainbow1:

Knowing and believing are two different things. If you are familiar with the Christian story, the whole over-arching thing, then you are aware of Hell and the consequences of sin and not accepting Christ.
Wrong. I am not aware of heaven and hell, I am aware that some people believe in them.
You may not believe any of that stuff is true, but if you are aware of it, you know it. So you are responsible for what you do with what you know.
Sorry, it doesn’t work that way. I can't make informed choices based on what others believe. I can only make them based on what I know. And knowing about others’ beliefs in heaven and hell is not the same as knowing there is a heaven and hell. I have no idea whether there is or not and I see no reason to give the beliefs any credence.
By your reasoning here, since you know about the Muslim belief that the infidel will be damned and in spite of the fact that you see no evidence or reason to share that belief (just as I see no evidence or reason to share the Christian belief), if you are damned as an infidel, you are responsible because you know about the Muslim belief, correct? If a Muslim told you the same thing you’re telling me here, would you see it as a valid argument? I'll bet you wouldn't.

There is evidence - according to you it may not be good evidence, but it is there.
Like what?

God does not love evil. God hates evil. God hates sin.

God loves people. God created people. God wants people to love Him.

God made the choice of sin available to people so people could have a choice, have free will. They made the wrong choice. Now people are evil and sinful.

God cannot simultaneously love and hate evil. We are all evil. I don't understand the difference between how God sees unbelievers now (alive) as opposed to when they stand
before Him in judgement (dead) - I don't know if there is a difference.

All I know is that in this life, as the Bible teaches, Jesus and forgiveness are available freely to all. After death, judgement comes, and that forgiveness is no longer available.

After this life the body passes away. The flesh is evil and infected with sin. The soul, through Christ, can be purified. But the soul without Christ is still dirty with sin and evil.

I don't see any inconsistency with God separating evil and sin from Himself and His presence - in this life, without Christ, we are guilty of choosing our own sin and evilness over God. I see a consistency, but then again I am looking at it from a different side of the fence.
There is definitely an inherent inconsistency in saying that God loves us unconditionally on the condition that we love him. Don’t you see that?
I’m not saying here that God, if he exists, should not punish the wicked. All I’m saying is that if he requires our faith and devotion before he will grant salvation then his love is in fact, not unconditional.
I only brought up that point to present a possibility. I think it's plausible and probable that the serpent either was Satan or was directly under Satan's control/possession.

The devil is identified as the old serpent in Revelation 12. Also Satan, the subject of most of Ezekiel 28, is mentioned as being in the Garden of God, which is Eden.

Well, in Job, Satan tells us where he came from. He came from the Earth, after roaming back and forth on it. I don't see the word 'retinue' used at all. It states clearly that the angels came before God and that Satan came with them, as if he tagged along, as if he wasn't supposed to be there. Which is clear when God asks him 'Where have you come from?'
It is a well known historical fact that in ancient Hebrew beliefs, Satan was God’s appointed accuser. The beliefs in and about Satan evolved over time from an angel who did God’s dirty work to a direct antithesis to God.
Besides that, if the Satan in Job was the fallen angel we are most familiar with, how is it that he was in God’s throne room talking to him face to face if God cannot abide sin or evil in his presence? Do Christians even acknowledge this contradiction?
I see your point, I really do (I think), but the way I see it, we are all responsible for our own choices. You are making the choice to either believe or not believe. Even if the situation you are in sets you up to choose A and points towards A and really pushes for A, you are still free to choose B or C or anything else.

If you could ONLY choose A, I would agree. But we are free to choose A, B or any other number of options.
It goes without saying that we are all faced with the two choices and have the freewill to choose one or the other. My point is that, if God created me then he created me with the nature I have. Given the nature I was born with, to embrace Christianity on faith would go against everything about my nature. How do I know this? Because I used to be a Christian. And I’m no longer a Christian because my nature and my way of viewing things kept pointing out inconsistencies, contradictions and that faith made absolutely no difference to anything except to enable me to believe I was accepted and loved at an uncertain time in my life.

More or less, yeah.

God knows exactly how many people are going to Hell and I'm sure He knows their names, how many hairs are on their heads and what He could have blessed them with if they had only submitted to His will.

I have no idea what God sees or knows, my thoughts are not His thoughts. I trust that He's got this thing figured out and that He's got it right. I wouldn't want anyone else to sort it all out.
There’s no question that if God exists he has everything figured out. But if he does, the point is, he figured out before he created us that if he did, he would have to send billions to hell. As I said before, I for one could not do it.
Could I send people to Hell? Well, I'm not perfect, so I'm not in the position to decide. There are a lot of things that I couldn't do - so it's a good thing I'm not God.
I’m not perfect either but I know enough to know I couldn’t do it.
I disagree with what I underlined in your quote. The serpent's tempting clearly initiated something or played a role.
Temptation initiates nothing and it only plays a role insofar as the desire is already there. The fruit was already pleasing to Eve’s eye and she already thought it was good for food and (as the text clearly states) it was already desirable to her for gaining wisdom. The serpent’s temptation was merely the trigger that compelled them to act on their desires. This is common sense that any first year psychology student will tell you.
But it seems, from the reasons you gave, that you don't like drinking because you have tried it and it didn't suit you. You said you don't like not having control (I'm assuming you've felt out of control at least once from the result of alcohol) and you don't like the way it makes you feel in the morning (so I assume you've had a few too many at least once before).
Of course I had prior knowledge but that’s irrelevant. The point is, I did not give in to the temptation to drink because I had no desire to, understand?

Now I concur that you could come to both of these conclusions without ever touching alcohol, but you would have observed others being out of control or hungover.

So either way, you have prior knowledge/prior observation/prior experience to base your decision upon. A&E had zero experience or observation - all they knew was that God told them not to - it's arguable that that is prior knowledge.
And yet, as I pointed out above, the text makes it clear that Eve thought that the fruit was “desirable for gaining wisdom”. Also, remember, the serpent was not the one who told them they would gain knowledge by eating the fruit, God did. The only thing the serpent said was that she wouldn’t die and that God feared them having the knowledge the same as the gods. So, who really tempted them here?

They had to have a legitimate choice - it's the key to perfect love. Perfect love means being vulnerable and allowing the other to leave/reject the love. If they didn't have the choice, I would see them as just robots doing what they were programed to do - there's no relationship and no love in that - and relationship and love are what God wants, what God is.
Nevertheless, he chose to put the tree in the garden within their reach so he got what he chose.
I only pulled out specific sins to make a point. Clearly they understood 0 sin.

But you don't have to know what murder is to know that if you stab someone in the heart
with a long knife, they will die. So even though you don't know that it's bad, you know not to do it, because someone will die.
No, you don’t have to know what murder is to know that if you stab someone in the heart with a long knife, they will die. But if you don’t understand the concept of sin, you will not know that stabbing someone to death is a sin. Get it?

This is the fundamental flaw in the Genesis story: because Adam and Eve had no concept of sin or even of life and death, God’s admonition not to eat the fruit or they would die would have meant nothing to them. It makes for good allegory but in reality it just doesn’t work.

Last edited:

9Westy9

Sceptic, Libertarian, Egalitarian
Premium Member
I will give that a tentative yes because I think you are talking about religion. So do I think Hindu's are wrong? I'm sure they might have a few things right, but overall, yes, I think they are wrong. Same thing with Muslims, atheists or any other group/belief system that isn't Christian.

Again they would say the same about your beliefs. As an outsider looking in, it's quite hard to tell who's got the 'truth' in regards to religion

Give it a try. Be honest and really try to understand. Pray about it. I guarantee God will speak and reveal Himself (somehow - not like appear before you, but hopefully you know what I mean) if you truly seek Him.

I'm not fully familiar with their beliefs on Hell but I know they don't involve Christ so therefore the are vastly different than the Christian beliefs of Hell and how to get there and how to avoid it.

Was practicing (believing) for 6 years. I've been there. I've also prayed for God to reveal himself... still waiting.

You can disagree with them all you want. What makes your beliefs 'truth' in comparison to theirs? Or any other belief for that matter

What's better than no pain, no fear, no suffering, no sadness and only good stuff?

sadists and masochists would disagree with you there :p

I get your point totally - I'm saying that when you read the whole thing, you only get one clear picture on that issue.

Look, I could quote a few verses out of Song of Solomon and then proclaim the entire Bible is about having sex - that doesn't mean it is.

Just because someone pulls a few verses out and says 'oh you can only be saved if you do X amount of works and donate AT LEAST 10% of all your $$$' or 'no one will go to Hell, see, it says so right here...just ignore those other passages!'

If you read, rather than pick and choose, it becomes a lot clearer - I promise - I used to be a cherry picker, picking out what I liked and ignoring the rest. That ain't right.

Some people could argue that Jesus came as an example. Not that we are saved by grace but that we are saved by doing good deeds. Would that be wrong based on the overview of his life?

I only use those examples to point out how I understood your logic you were using. I didn't mean to offend anyone.

I also didn't mean to imply that you have never read the BIble or anything like that either.

I thought agnostic was undecided? Undecided as in 'yeah, there's something up there, but I don't know who or what.' Am I wrong or is that too simplistic?

Sorry If I came across as offended. I was merely responding to your points.

That cool ^-^

It's a bit more than merely undecided. Agnostics, usually, believe that knowledge of deities can't be known. An agnostic atheist believes there is no god and knowledge about gods cannot be known. An agnostic theist believes there is a god(s) but that knowledge of said god(s) cannot be known.

I don't know why people come to different conclusions. People are wrong all the time. I will freely admit that I could be wrong. I don't think I am, which is why I've made my decision the way I have.

I look at the whole situation as I would a math problem - everyone could be wrong, but not everyone can be right - someone has to be right and thus the rest are wrong. It is only logical that there be one right answer the way I see it and understand it.

Meaning that it's just like a roulette wheel.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Ghost of a Rider-

RE: A&E had no concept of sin or life and death. [?]

Even long before A&E were on earth plant life and animal life died.
so, why wouldn't they have a concept of death?

Sin is disobedience to God.
In effect God said obey and you will live.
Disobey and you will die.

The tree stood for the law.
Obey the law and live.
Disobey the law and die.

Ghost of a Rider-

RE: A&E had no concept of sin or life and death. [?]

Even long before A&E were on earth plant life and animal life died.
so, why wouldn't they have a concept of death?

Where does it say or imply this in the text?

Sin is disobedience to God.
In effect God said obey and you will live.
Disobey and you will die.

The tree stood for the law.
Obey the law and live.
Disobey the law and die.

He also told them that the tree was the tree of the knowledge of good and evil and the text says that after they ate the fruit, "their eyes were opened and they realized they were naked". So even if they understood death, they still had no idea that disobedience was a sin or even what sin was. furthermore, if their eyes weren't opened to the concept of good and evil until after eating the fruit, how were they supposed to know before eating the fruit that eating it was a sin?

Like I told DandyAndy, this story makes for good allegory but logically it doesn't work.

So you have two options here. 1.) agree that they did not understand the concept of sin or 2.) if you insist that they did, this means that the eating of the fruit was not even necessary for they knew already.

e2ekiel

Im going to get straight to the point.

And for anyone who is too lazy to read this the Question is pretty much.

Why would God send people to Hell for being Good Careing Decent people?

At the hear of the issue is not WHAT you've done, but WHY you've done it.

If you walk a little old lady across the road, did you do it because YOU decided it was a good thing to do today or was it because of what God has done for you that you performed that act.

Do you live in the way that YOU DECIDE what is right and wrong or do you submit to what GOD DECIDES what is right and wrong. It's not about law breaking/keeping but about law making.

In the end, God will fulfill your deepest desire and if that is to live by your rules your way, then he won't force you to live in Heaven with Him

At the hear of the issue is not WHAT you've done, but WHY you've done it.

If you walk a little old lady across the road, did you do it because YOU decided it was a good thing to do today or was it because of what God has done for you that you performed that act.

Do you live in the way that YOU DECIDE what is right and wrong or do you submit to what GOD DECIDES what is right and wrong. It's not about law breaking/keeping but about law making.

In the end, God will fulfill your deepest desire and if that is to live by your rules your way, then he won't force you to live in Heaven with Him

This argument presupposes that anyone who lives "by his rules his way" is even aware of any other rules in the first place. If I, as a non-believer, commit a kind act, it's not because I feel my rules for morality are better than God's nor does it have anything to do with where I might prefer to spend eternity, it's simply because I feel better about myself as a person when I do. I can't very well compare my rules for morality against that which I don't believe exists, understand?

Last edited:
Hi there! You raised a very good question. Indeed, God who is loving and just can't torture people in eternal fire, besides never wanted it- 31*And they have built the high places of To′pheth, which is in the valley of the son of Hin′nom, in order to burn their sons and their daughters in the fire, a thing that I had not commanded and that had not come up into my heart.’" (Jeremiah 7:31, 32)

waitasec

Veteran Member
Hi there! You raised a very good question. Indeed, God who is loving and just can't torture people in eternal fire, besides never wanted it- 31*And they have built the high places of To′pheth, which is in the valley of the son of Hin′nom, in order to burn their sons and their daughters in the fire, a thing that I had not commanded and that had not come up into my heart.’" (Jeremiah 7:31, 32)

that passage is about god not wanting human sacrifices...hmmm
nice try...

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
that passage is about god not wanting human sacrifices...hmmm
nice try...

Jesus was not burned alive like the pagan sacrifices.

People today make sacrifices [give up something precious] for another.
Especially a parent for a child. Even giving up one's life to save another.

Jesus was sacrificing or surrendering something precious or prized for us.
Jesus was making a sacrifice or offering the loss of his perfect life for us.

As John wrote [1st John 1v7] Jesus blood cleans us from our sins.

In order for us to gain everlasting life either in heaven or on earth we need a resurrection from the dead.

No one can resurrect oneself or another from the dead so we need someone that can do that for us. Jesus shed blood [dying faithful] provides that needed ransom price.- Matthew 20v28.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member

Dinosaurs bones [from dead dinosaurs of coursse] were on earth before humans. There are no dinosaur bones mixed with human bones.
So, animals were dying long before humans were on earth.

God used animal skins to clothe Adam and Eve. -Gen 3v21

'All' return to dust again according to Ecclesiastes 3vs19,20.

If it were not for God's promise to Adam that if obedient that he would not die, Adam would have been just like the rest of the physical creation cycle.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Why would a resurrection be needed? Not dieing in the first place seems like a viable option.

Yes, Adam had the viable option Not to die in the first place.
Obey God and live forever. Adam disobeyed and Adam died.

Adam, as our fallen family head, passed down his imperfect DNA to us.
Because of Adam we do not have the option not to die because we can not stop sinning so we die.
If we could stop sinning we would not die.
'Death' is the price or wage sin pays. -Romans 6 vs7,23
We die for our sins, but we can resurrect oneself.
So, in order to live again we need a resurrection.
Jesus paying the ransom price for us provides for us the resurrection hope.
-Matt 20v28

The Bible teaches that the soul dies. -Ezekiel 18vs4,20.
Adam did not have an immortal [death proof] soul.
Adam 'became' a living soul [Gen 2v4] at creation, not before his creation.
At death Adam became a dead or lifeless soul.

waitasec

Veteran Member
Jesus was not burned alive like the pagan sacrifices.

People today make sacrifices [give up something precious] for another.
Especially a parent for a child. Even giving up one's life to save another.
Yea, they sacrificed their sons and their daughters unto devils, And shed innocent blood, even the blood of their sons and of their daughters, whom they sacrificed unto the idols of Canaan: and the land was polluted with blood. And shed innocent blood, even the blood of their sons and of their daughters, whom they sacrificed unto the idols of Canaan: and the land was polluted with blood. [Psalm 106:37-38]

no mention of burnt sacrifices here...nice try though...
Jesus was sacrificing or surrendering something precious or prized for us.
Jesus was making a sacrifice or offering the loss of his perfect life for us.
how could he die...he' god. doesn't add up.

Muffled

Jesus in me
These are not connected. Sin is not some magic ionizing radiation.

Perhaps not but sin caused Cain to slay Abel. Even the gods couldn't survive in such an atmosphere. (and didn't because none of them are alive today)

What does appear to be magic is the shortening of men's lives by God. Most likely He messed with the DNA timer that determines length of life.

Muffled

Jesus in me
so does this stance give a believer the advantage, the upper hand, or a vantage point, for favoritism?
it's no wonder people who have this POV think themselves morally superior when there is nothing moral they can do that an unbeliever cannot.

Without a doubt God favors the righteous. The person who believes in God is more likely to receive God's favor than an atheist.

All things are possible to a person who believes. However a Godless person has to go by teaching and learned experiences to make moral decisions. In each case there can be flaws.

Also there is the question of will. A person may know what is right but still either be unwilling to perform what is right or feel compelled to perform that which is wrong. (in the case of a weak willed person)

Muffled

Jesus in me
When you stop to realize that the "author" of life is also the one resposible for your "seperation"(aka tortured for eternity), it becomes a lot easier to want to be seperated from such a monster.

Let me see. I think Hell is a really bad place so I will get mad at the one who sends people there and choose to go there to spite Him.

Does that make sense to you?

idav

Being
Premium Member
Without a doubt God favors the righteous. The person who believes in God is more likely to receive God's favor than an atheist.
First with all the false gods out there I'm not sure an atheist is any worse. Second God will favor anyone he wants and it is his favoring that labels them righteous not the other way around. You could be a sinful king and god might still deem you righteous, perhaps after some punishment. Heck God is liable to even punish those who are favored.