• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

why you don't need God ?(anyone)

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I just want to know the opinions of all those who do not believe in a supreme being as God ...just tell me, is it really that necessary to worry about God? i mean give me your opinion but WITHOUT OFENDING NOR JUDGING ANY RELIGION. IN FACT, DO NOT MAKE REFERENCE TO ANYONE OR ANY RELIGION just simply tell me why YOU do not believe in a God....

I used to be an agnostic before I became a Christian, from that I can tell you that I never felt as thought that I didn't need God, but simply that I wasn't sure that He (or She) existed.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I just want to know the opinions of all those who do not believe in a supreme being as God ...just tell me, is it really that necessary to worry about God?

Of course not. Why do you ask? Do you expect non-believers to worry about God? :confused:

i mean give me your opinion but WITHOUT OFENDING NOR JUDGING ANY RELIGION. IN FACT, DO NOT MAKE REFERENCE TO ANYONE OR ANY RELIGION just simply tell me why YOU do not believe in a God....

Oh, that is something else entirely.

I do not believe in a God because I am not inclined to believe in the supernatural, I guess. Supernatural beliefs are ultimately just attaching names to things that we do not know or do not understand, and that does not appeal to me.

There are specific reasons for me to deny specifically creator Gods, including the Abrahamic one. But even that is really not very important at all. I happen to be an Apatheist besides an Atheist.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
This is fantastic...see that is what i have always being trying to say...the purpose of every human being's life should be to find it's own happiness. People who believe in God and are happy should believe in HIm.

If they know how to deal with that belief in a healthy way, then sure, they should.

Does who don't as long as they are happy and understand everyone else's belief, there is not problem with that.

Understanding everyone else's belief is a pretty tall order. Are you sure that is necessary?

Going by the letter of what you are saying it is all but impossible to be a reasonable Atheist.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I used to be an agnostic before I became a Christian, from that I can tell you that I never felt as thought that I didn't need God, but simply that I wasn't sure that He (or She) existed.

So you felt a longing to believe in God before becoming a Theist?

philbo

High Priest of Cynicism
To repeat what many others have said: I don't believe in god or gods because the world behaves exactly as I would expect it to were there no gods. Stuff happens at random, supernatural miraculous events fail to occur on a regular basis.

The properties ascribed to gods, especially the Abrahamic one, are so incredibly human and petty in nature (what kind of intelligence capable of creating something on the scale of the universe and designing the minutiae of cell membranes and structures would really give a flying fornication about whether a guy likes girls or other guys? That's human emotion, not deific) that for as long as I have been capable of rational thought it has seemed to me that man invented his gods, not the other way around.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Like.. the earlier conversation/derailment which was pretty interesting to you, and finally you started a thread about it.

Similarly.. regardless of you haven't seen a reason, But.. what made you to See reasons to believe in God ? :)

If I'm understanding your question right, I'd go with popularism. When so many people believe in something (whatever that is) I feel it behooves me to take a second look to determine my own thoughts on it, and a third/fourth/fifth look so I get a better handle on the world around me, the people in it, and how they think and behave.

Monk Of Reason

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
I think the best answer to this question is with another question. Why don't you feel the need for magic to exist? I'm not necessarily equating religion or god to magic but the same principles apply.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
So you felt a longing to believe in God before becoming a Theist?

I suppose in a way,. My friends close to where I lived were mostly Christians. They went to Church on Sundays and I never did (my family did not go). I felt different from them. My friends knew my mom was an atheist, it was no secret, I wasn't an atheist, I never really thought about it until I was a teenager.

But feeling different was no good reason to believe in God.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
I don't need God, because when I view the mountains, or feel the wind on my face, or smell the ocean, I don't need any other element to make the experience and picture complete.

chinu

chinu
I don't need God, because when I view the mountains, or feel the wind on my face, or smell the ocean, I don't need any other element to make the experience and picture complete.
But who is the creator of this complete picture ? doesn't that come into your mind ?

chinu

chinu
If I'm understanding your question right, I'd go with popularism. When so many people believe in something (whatever that is) I feel it behooves me to take a second look to determine my own thoughts on it, and a third/fourth/fifth look so I get a better handle on the world around me, the people in it, and how they think and behave.
And, what makes you to look after when so many people believe in God ? I think its your interest towards God, is it ? :)

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
I don't believe a god exists, because I just don't see any evidence for one.

When I first lost my faith, or at least 'fessed up to it, it did feel a little lonely inside my head for a little bit. But 7+ years later, I don't miss God, and any lingering doubt or desire has blown away. I've had good things and bad things happen to me in those intervening years. But I don't think belief in God would have changed things at all.

maninthewilderness

optimistic skeptic
I don't believe that there is a God who loves us and cares about us.
What loving and caring God would make such a small part of the universe inhabitable by his children?
Why would a loving and caring God make resources, like food and drinkable water, so scarce?
Why would a loving and caring God instill natural urges in us and then command us to resist those same urges?
Why would a loving and caring God create disease, old age, poison, pest, blights, storms, tornadoes, hurricanes, floods, fires, volcanoes?

If there is a God, it sounds like a real jerk!

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
And, what makes you to look after when so many people believe in God ? I think its your interest towards God, is it ? :)

*chuckles*

We've had a version of this conversation before...
I don't have an interest in God, per se. l have an interest in human psychology. Hard to understand people without understanding Something of their beliefs. Politics interests me for much the same reason.

chinu

chinu
*chuckles*

We've had a version of this conversation before...
I don't have an interest in God, per se. l have an interest in human psychology. Hard to understand people without understanding Something of their beliefs. Politics interests me for much the same reason.
What will you get out of all this politics ? or what makes your interest towards this politics ?