• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

why you don't need God ?(anyone)

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Don't you have any wishes in your life ? if yes, than from whom do you want your wishes to get completed ?

No I don't have wishes, i get off my butt and do what i want to do, if it works out great, if it doesn't, so be it.

desideraht

Hellspawn
I don't believe in a god because I have not found a compelling reason to believe in one.
I'm pretty much in agreement with this.

What would a compelling reason be? There would be none. If I saw "evidence" of a God, I would question it. I suppose the only way to be "sure" about if is if there was an Afterlife. So, for as long as I live, I will always be questioning. Any "evidence" I see towards God, I will question and seek worldly answers. Pretty much ever "miracle" has an explanation.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
What will you get out of all this politics ? or what makes your interest towards this politics ?

I like trying to understand the world I live in. Religion, politics, religion and sports are all areas where people show their true colours, in some ways.

chinu

chinu
Not exactly what I meant. Religion is a topic where people tend to show strong views. This is as true for atheists as theists.
Before jumping into any religious topic, you cannot know topic is true or false. And my question is.. what made you to Jump into that very religious topic before jumping into that topic ? :)

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Before jumping into any religious topic, you cannot know topic is true or false. And my question is.. what made you to Jump into that very religious topic before jumping into that topic ? :)

Do you really think if you keep asking 'Why?' that eventually I'll have a revelation and say 'God'?

It's nothing to do with whether a topic is 'true' or 'false', just like it's not about finding the 'right' political position. For me, it's about seeing how people work. How people react in situations, how they think, how they reason, how they interact.

So as much as you're doing all the questioning, I find it informative...

;)

RedJamaX

That's ridiculous and absolutely false. I have never implied that anyone's beliefs are stupid. .

Actually, you kinda did... in this statement:

See, this is the kind of superior attitude I find offensive. No, you didn't come right out and say it, but the implication is clear: You feel that a belief in God is as absurd as a belief in leprechauns, which, by logical extention

implies that people who do believe in God are as naive or stupid as those who believe in the creatures found in fairy tales.

The fact that you lay out that comparison means that by your own example for what is considered naive, belief in leprechauns is naive to you.

Now, there are people who believe that the world is actually flat, and and others think that after the "Great Flood" Noah distributed the animals back to their original locations by launching them off the top of a volcano (no, I'm not kidding). So are those people any more or less naive??

I do in fact believe that people who believe in god are a bit naive, and/or ignorant... I also used to believe in god myself and I no longer do. Looking back, I will readily admit that I was both naive AND ignorant in that respect.

However, I also feel that belief in god(s) is one single step above the level of naivety or ignorance related to the belief in other supernatural things like fairy tale creatures simply because believing in god can sometimes be a source of comfort. And as such, that provides an emotional benefit to that individual. For me, I find comfort in knowledge.

Before you get all upset at me ... remember...
I will readily admit that I was both naive AND ignorant in my previous belief in god. AND, I am NOT saying that some people do not have good reasons to believe in god... but when I look back on my life, I did not have a GOOD reason to believe.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
That's an extremely powerful argument for man having made up his gods.

You may say that again.

I believe that it is even actual doctrine in a several religions that it is so. Come to think of it, Shinto Kami are considered to literally be the ancestors of Japanese people.

chinu

chinu
Do you really think if you keep asking 'Why?' that eventually I'll have a revelation and say 'God'?
Don't worry.. if revelation would be a such an easy task, than there would have been no need for "Stephen-Hawking" to became handicap while searching the God through out the whole life. Questions are just to make you think about.
For me, it's about seeing how people work. How people react in situations, how they think, how they reason, how they interact.
But what made you to think that all people are always wrong about God ? nobody among them can be true ? this is the question which still remains for you.
So as much as you're doing all the questioning, I find it informative...
;)
My pleasure. :)

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

But what made you to think that all people are always wrong about God ? nobody among them can be true ? this is the question which still remains for you.

What your opinion on the atheists, polytheists, deists, animists, etc.
Are they all wrong? You don't think any of them have the truth of it?

chinu

chinu
What your opinion on the atheists, polytheists, deists, animists, etc. Are they all wrong? You don't think any of them have the truth of it?
Actually, they aren't wrong, they are not familiar how atheism, polytheism, deism, animism etc.. is related with Theism. And the existence of God leaded me toward this.

desideraht

Hellspawn
Don't worry.. if revelation would be a such an easy task, than there would have been no need for "Stephen-Hawking" to became handicap while searching the God through out the whole life. Questions are just to make you think about.
This statement is disgusting and you ought to be ashamed.

How dare you speak so ill of another human being. Hawking is an incredible person (even though he's kind of an *******), and was not "smitten" by God with illness. In fact, even though I'm an atheist, I would much rather argue that he was BLESSED by God, and has survived for over 50 years with a disease that should have killed him. God LOVES Hawking. Clearly God values Hawking's voice.

Stephen Hawking is a real person. You don't need to put his name in quotes, or act like he deserves pain and suffering because he is an atheist.

His Lou Gehrig's disease was not a "punishment". It's flippin' genetic!

This is just so perverse.

:tsk::tsk::tsk: