• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

why you don't need God ?(anyone)

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
It's My Birthday!
fantôme profane said:
No I don’t believe in Leprechauns. But I would not denigrate anyone who did. I am sorry if I misunderstood you, but when you said that the comparison between believe in God and belief in Leprechauns.
So you don't believe in Leprechauns. Well, I'm glad we got that out of the way. Just for the record... how many people do you know (excluding children) who do? How many of these people believe in in a Higher Power of some sort? Are you starting to get it?

This seemed to indicate to me that you believed that people who believe in the creatures found in fairy tales are naïve or stupid. And again I apologise if that is not what you meant. But certainly you can understand how I could get that impression.
No, actually, I can't understand how you could get that impression, but then I'm obviously not talking to someone who's on the same wavelenth as I am. And if you want to find fault, you might want to go back to post #8 of this thread, since that's where the first insult originated.

logician

"I am pretty much convinced that a belief in God or a disbelief in God is something we are pretty much born having"

Not true, I was raised in a very conservative protestant upbriniging, and now am a liberal atheist. Using one's brain can change your point of view.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
It's My Birthday!
logician said:
"I am pretty much convinced that a belief in God or a disbelief in God is something we are pretty much born having"

Not true, I was raised in a very conservative protestant upbriniging, and now am a liberal atheist. Using one's brain can change your point of view.
I'm not talking about upbringing. I can totally understand how someone who was raised in a Christian household could come to the conclusion that there is no God, just as someone who was raised by atheistic parents could come to believe in God. I was raised by parents who believed in God, but they certainly didn't cram the idea down my throat. My sister was raised by the same two parents, in much the same way I was. She's agnostic and has been since her late teens (she's now 53). I don't think she used her brain any more than I did.

eudaimonia

Fellowship of Reason
Katzpur said:
See, this is the kind of superior attitude I find offensive. No, you didn't come right out and say it, but the implication is clear: You feel that a belief in God is as absurd as a belief in leprechauns

No, you are reading something into my post that isn't there. This is not at all the point I was making, nor is it even implied since that isn't my view.

I was saying that "I do not worry about God" because I do not worry about entities that I don't believe exist. Period. That is all.

I was not commenting on the issue of absurdity, and I was speaking only for myself, not for anyone else.

If you have been hurt before by the implication that belief in God is as absurd as believing in leprechauns (not my view), I apologize on behalf of everyone who has done so, if that makes you feel any better. :)

eudaimonia,

Mark

Esrold

We don't need God because he/she doesn't exist. Quantum physics, the most proven branch of physics, shows that an all-knowing, all-powerful (omniscient, omnipotent) God would collapse the wave functions of subatomic particles. Since these wave functions are necessary for many of our modern electronics to function we can know for certain that such a God doesn't exist because our cell phones, laptops, and digital cameras do work. BTW, the above is shorthand for a much longer, much more boring answer that much more definitively proves the same point.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Well for me I don't need to believe in a god, it simply doesn't exist, so for me it would be a wast of time, I rather just enjoy my life.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Last edited:

chinu

chinu
Same. I don't see anything in science or history that points to there being a God
Why are you looking for something that may point you to there being a God ? Means.. what makes you to look for something that may points you to there being a God ? :)

chinu

chinu
I agree with the above statements. I do not believe in God because it seems to me like a construct of the human mind. Science has led us further and further away from God with every turn of the book. When I look at the issue of God, I cannot help but noticing that all of the religions that claim God cannot all be right. They are far too contradictory in their beliefs for that to be so. For me it is much easier to say God does not exist, it eliminates the problem and allows me to see religion for what it is, a way to gather people together in a common cause, it is a way to organize and control people.

I live a perfectly happy life, and I can honestly say that I am more happy and full of life now than when I was trying to believe in God. It was much to hard of a struggle to believe in God and make all of the pieces of knowledge I had gained fit together into something coherent. In order for me to believe in God, I would had to have compartmentalized my brain which is something I see a lot of religious people do.
Finally, what makes you to collect all this information about God ? :)

chinu

chinu
I think that god is rather pointless, considering that i believe that the only reason that faith is so strong is that people try to teach you what is real and what is not. I think that by prayer you believe that there is someone to help, so you know that you can get it, all you do is channel yourself, however some people are bound by their minds, when they feel that they can do something, they will attempt but then remember how their parents told them that things can't happen that way. I think that is why the existence of a god is so important. so that you can feel free to open yourself to the level to get better. But anyways to the point, god is not nessisary b/c you create on your own, you can do anything you set your mind to.
Finally, what made you to discover all this about God ? :)

chinu

chinu
Okay, 2 things from me;

1) I don't believe in God since I've never seen a reason to believe. And I've looked, not from any lack of happiness or fulfillment, but because so many people DO believe.

2) Something about the earlier conversation/derailment actually was pretty interesting to me, so I'm going to start a thread about it.
Link : http://www.religiousforums.com/foru...t-your-right-hold-ridiculous.html#post3486338

Like.. the earlier conversation/derailment which was pretty interesting to you, and finally you started a thread about it.

Similarly.. regardless of you haven't seen a reason, But.. what made you to See reasons to believe in God ? :)

chinu

chinu
We don't need God because he/she doesn't exist. Quantum physics, the most proven branch of physics, shows that an all-knowing, all-powerful (omniscient, omnipotent) God would collapse the wave functions of subatomic particles. Since these wave functions are necessary for many of our modern electronics to function we can know for certain that such a God doesn't exist because our cell phones, laptops, and digital cameras do work. BTW, the above is shorthand for a much longer, much more boring answer that much more definitively proves the same point.
But, what made you to discover this all before you discovered all this ? :)

Enai de a lukal

No, actually, I can't understand how you could get that impression

You're joking, right? You said-

the implication is clear: You feel that a belief in God is as absurd as a belief in leprechauns, which, by logical extention implies that people who do believe in God are as naive or stupid as those who believe in the creatures found in fairy tales.

I'd say that if you got any other impression, then you should get your eyes checked. You're saying that comparing belief in God to belief in leprechauns implies that people who believe in God "are as naive or stupid as those who believe in the creatures found in fairy tales." Like leprechauns. Except, you're the one who said that belief in fictitious creatures means you're naive or stupid, not him. Oops.

I realize that some people (especially some Christians) can come across as very self-righteous and critical of atheists.
I'd say that's a rather large understatement. Take a glance at this.

Maybe this subtle jab is in response to those kinds of people. I don't know. But from my own perspective as a believer, God is every bit as real as I am. If you don't want to believe that, I'm fine with your decision. I wouldn't even consider telling you that you are less intelligent, moral or decent than I am, or that you're going to someday burn in the hell you don't believe in. But I resent the implication that those of us who believe in God are no more rational than those who believe in the Boogie Man, TInker Bell or the Creature from the Black Lagoon. Intelligent, rational thinking and a belief in God are not mutually exclusive.
Perhaps you should take a deep breath. Now, I can't pretend to speak for fantome profane, but the comparison between leprechauns and God needn't be a comparison between people's intelligence; there are other parallels to be drawn.

The fact is that the existence of a transcendent God has no truth-conditions; it is consistent with any possible states of affairs. Another way to say this is to say that it is a claim that is unfalsifiable. And another way to say this is to say that the existence of God is indistinguishable from fiction. So, arguably, belief in the existence of God is epistemically the same as belief in the existence of fictional entities. Like leprechauns.

chinu

chinu
Stoped! This Is Not About Freaking Leprechauns, If You Believe In Them Ok, If You Don't Ok Too, This Is Not "why You Don't Believe In Leprechauns?" This Is Why You Don't Need God? Ok???????so Please, If Your Going To Argue About Leprechauns ,make A Post....hehehe Sorry, But Wow, You Really Get Too Much Into It
And what made you to make this analogy ? :)