• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Without God there is no hope

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
The more time I spend on this forum, the more convinced I am that encountering followers of Jesus who actually follow his teachings and demonstrate that being a Christian is more than just a label to wear is a rare occurrence. Many Christians seem to have forgotten Jesus' teachings about loving your neighbor as yourself, loving your enemies, and treating others the way you want to be treated. In fact, most Christians that I've met don't behave any differently from the non-Christians that they piously point a judgmental finger at.
Sadly, Christianity is more about the Christian doctrines, Jesus is God, the bodily resurrection, and the return of Jesus and Judgment Day, than it is about love God and love your neighbor.

samtonga43

I wonder if you realize how much you criticize other people.
You never have anything 'nice' to say to anyone.
Maybe something to think about...
I don't see my pointing out your continual focus on yourself as criticism, Tb. I honestly do think it is something you ought to consider. I think you would benefit from less emphasis on yourself in your posts. Maybe ask yourself why you feel the need for all the first- person-pronouns?

Such behavior is unbecoming of a person who claims to be a Christian.
You have a high opinion of Christians?

Truthseeker

Non-debating member when I can help myself
The more time I spend on this forum, the more convinced I am that encountering followers of Jesus who actually follow his teachings and demonstrate that being a Christian is more than just a label to wear is a rare occurrence. Many Christians seem to have forgotten Jesus' teachings about loving your neighbor as yourself, loving your enemies, and treating others the way you want to be treated. In fact, most Christians that I've met don't behave any differently from the non-Christians that they piously point a judgmental finger at.
What Christ taught and His example are reasons to be Christian, but you're right that today there is little difference between how Christians act and atheists, for example, and atheists point to that and say "religion is not a good thing, and just divides people", which brings to my mind something that Abdu'l-Baha said:

His third teaching is that religion is a mighty stronghold, but that it must engender love, not malevolence and hate. Should it lead to malice, spite, and hate, it is of no value at all. For religion is a remedy, and if the remedy bring on disease, then put it aside.
(Abdu'l-Baha, Selections from the Writings of Abdu'l-Baha, p. 248)

This are similar statements he said. Anyway, this is a factor of why in "western" nations, they are getting progresively less religious, this religious strife. Materialism is also a factor in this.

samtonga43

Whatever, but Christianity has become too much of that, however widespread that is. You seem to exemplify that.

Sorry, can you be more clear? You say that Christianity has become too much of 'that'. Too much of …. what? And you say that I exemplify 'that'. What is 'that'?

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
Sadly, Christianity is more about the Christian doctrines, Jesus is God, the bodily resurrection, and the return of Jesus and Judgment Day, than it is about love God and love your neighbor.

Whatever, but Christianity has become too much of that, however widespread that is. You seem to exemplify that.

I think that both of you are spot on.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I think you would benefit from less emphasis on yourself in your posts.
I think you would benefit from less focus on me in your posts.
I also think you would benefit from asking yourself why you need to look at me instead of looking at yourself.

26: O SON OF BEING! How couldst thou forget thine own faults and busy thyself with the faults of others? Whoso doeth this is accursed of Me.
The Hidden Words of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 10
Maybe ask yourself why you feel the need for all the first- person-pronouns?
Am I supposed to say "you" when I am talking about my personal situation?
Or is your point that I should not start a thread about a personal situation that I am dealing with?

An “I” message or “I” statement is a style of communication that focuses on the feelings or beliefs of the speaker rather than thoughts and characteristics that the speaker attributes to the listener.
Mental health professionals commonly encourage people in therapy to use “I” statements when communicating with others.
“I” Message - GoodTherapy.org Therapy Blog

Last edited:

samtonga43

I think you would benefit from less focus on me in your posts.
I also think you would benefit from asking yourself why you need to look at me instead of looking at yourself.

26: O SON OF BEING! How couldst thou forget thine own faults and busy thyself with the faults of others? Whoso doeth this is accursed of Me.
The Hidden Words of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 10

Am I supposed to say "you" when I am talking about my personal situation?
Or is your point that I should not start a thread about a personal situation that I am dealing with?

An “I” message or “I” statement is a style of communication that focuses on the feelings or beliefs of the speaker rather than thoughts and characteristics that the speaker attributes to the listener.
Mental health professionals commonly encourage people in therapy to use “I” statements when communicating with others.
“I” Message - GoodTherapy.org Therapy Blog
Ah! Well, I suppose if you're here for therapy of some kind you'd better carry on talking about yourself.

It can get a bit tedious, because it's all much of a muchness, and I still think you would gain more benefit from getting out and about with others IRL

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Ah! Well, I suppose if you're here for therapy of some kind you'd better carry on talking about yourself.
No, that is not what I am here for. I am here to have a discussion about the subject matter in the OP.
I am not here to hear you carrying on about me, as much as you cannot help yourself.
It can get a bit tedious, because it's all much of a muchness, and I still think you would gain more benefit from getting out and about with others IRL
If it is too tedious for you to read a couple of posts where I am talking about my personal situation with nice people like @Nimos and @Truthseeker by all means just don't read them. Of course you could also contribute to the thread by talking about what I wrote in the OP. It is tedious reading all your posts about me.

I already got out and talked with others, real Christians who live by the Golden Rule and love their neighbor.
Maybe you could benefit from joining the group.

Truthseeker

Sorry, can you be more clear? You say that Christianity has become too much of 'that'. Too much of …. what? And you say that I exemplify 'that'. What is 'that'?
@Trailblazer said this:

Christianity has been somewhat concerned with the above Christian doctrines such as she outlined, however much that should be, and that seems to be what you are concentrating on the most.

Last edited:

Truthseeker

You can't tell when someone is behaving badly?
My cats are more respectful than some people.
I wasn't clear, sorry. How can you tell that the Christians are worse as a group that atheiists as a group or vice versa? We have a small sample to choose from. That's statistician language. The smaller the sample the less dependable the results.