• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Woman hits man on bus - watch video and decide....

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I ve always said her reaction is understandable and the man honestly needs something more corrective that a pair of umbrella attacks.

Its good that she took a stand, it would actually have been wrong (but understandable) that she didnt.

I have said since I saw the video that the scandal an any violence fir the direct removal of him of her space is justified and was needed. The part I see as non justified was the violence peroetrated after she had already removed him. Scandal could and would have much better be if had continued on as loudly as possible for as much time as possible, but you can continue it without the violence.

In other words, I dont think violence is the only way to take a stand, and given she had already used the violence necessary to remove him from her, the violence that comes after that is what I dont deemed justified, although I would say its understandable.

After having his immediate threat removed, violence is not the only way to take a stand indeed. But i also think that what she did was justifiable. The method of choice to send the message in question (if that is what she had in mind) is fine by me so long as it doesn't victimize the man, in the sense of doing to him something unwarranted or undeserved by his actions. In addition, as already mentioned repeatedly the threat here is a bit complicated and thus we can certainly allow for the possibility that what she did was perceived as necessary to assert dominance.

In the context, and considering all possibilities, i don't feel anything but being glad he got his *** kicked and that the woman seemingly succeeded in both defending herself and possibly making a stand for herself and other women.

Me Myself

Back to my username
Here you got people getting into busses telling you to buy them 3 dollar candies to help them do good in life with their honest job as they are fresh out of jail.

Our newspapers are filled with instances of people standing up and then being killed for it.

You say you dont knnow the context, but you justify it.

I find the attitude somewhat dangerous.

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
You say you dont knnow the context, but you justify it.

I find the attitude somewhat dangerous.

You don't know the context either, yet you're happy to say her actions were wrong.

I find that attitude somewhat sad.

Me Myself

Back to my username
You don't know the context either, yet you're happy to say her actions were wrong.

I find that attitude somewhat sad.

I am saying violence without need is wrong yes.

Justifying violence without need without even complete knowledge I find dangerous.

I said her actions were wrong but it wasnt important. Its not terrible. But dont finding it wrong at all because of a feeling of "he diserves it" is a dangerous attitude IMHO.

I dont claim character on her or what she diserves or not. Just that from this angle it seems she used excessive force. That's all.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member

Justifying violence without need without even complete knowledge I find dangerous.

I said her actions were wrong but it wasnt important. Its not terrible. But dont finding it wrong at all because of a feeling of "he diserves it" is a dangerous attitude IMHO.

I dont claim character on her or what she diserves or not. Just that from this angle it seems she used excessive force. That's all.

If violence stops or prevents the victimization of innocent people, then it is in fact not wrong.

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member

And many attempts have been so far to point out how it is not so simple to say that there was no need.

You are the only one seemingly certain that the woman was wrong. On the other hand, personally, i'm just trying to view this in a fair context, allowing for extremely obvious and very relevant facts to enter the discussion.

I didn't see anything to object to and thus don't object, and am happy for the woman.

Not if it's based on interpretation concluded from very relevant and very obvious facts that makes said interpretation a very likely scenario, at the least.

Assuming misplaced moral high grounds and blaming victims is far more dangerous in my opinion.

I see what you're trying to say, i just think it's awfully misplaced. I don't revel in people's suffering, nor have reveled in this guy's case. Rather i revel in the positive thing that results from this to the victim. My feelings can change depending on what kind of criminal is in question and certain things surrounding them, but for the most part, my feelings range from slight sadness to not caring.

Thus, when something like what happened in this case occurs, i'm more concerned with enjoying the victim's comfort or safety than i am in feeling sad for the attacker. I know you don't feel sad for him, i'm not talking about you here. I'm trying to address your concern regarding what you think this mentality supposedly entails.

This happiness however would be ruined if i perceive the response as unfair or disproportionate, and i would view it as something very wrong.

I understand, but disagree.

Me Myself

Back to my username
And many attempts have been so far to point out how it is not so simple to say that there was no need.

You are the only one seemingly certain that the woman was wrong. On the other hand, personally, i'm just trying to view this in a fair context, allowing for extremely obvious and very relevant facts to enter the discussion.

I didn't see anything to object to and thus don't object, and am happy for the woman.

Not if it's based on interpretation concluded from very relevant and very obvious facts that makes said interpretation a very likely scenario, at the least.

Assuming misplaced moral high grounds and blaming victims is far more dangerous in my opinion.

I see what you're trying to say, i just think it's awfully misplaced. I don't revel in people's suffering, nor have reveled in this guy's case. Rather i revel in the positive thing that results from this to the victim. My feelings can change depending on what kind of criminal is in question and certain things surrounding them, but for the most part, my feelings range from slight sadness to not caring.

Thus, when something like what happened in this case occurs, i'm more concerned with enjoying the victim's comfort or safety than i am in feeling sad for the attacker. I know you don't feel sad for him, i'm not talking about you here. I'm trying to address your concern regarding what you think this mentality supposedly entails.

This happiness however would be ruined if i perceive the response as unfair or disproportionate, and i would view it as something very wrong.

I understand, but disagree.

I dont feel sad for the attacker. I feel sad for the attitude that can lead to real problems, but more than sad, I feel wary of it.

The video does not show anything that might lead us to think it was reasonable for her to leave the safest side so she could be closer to the assaulter, that was clearly refraining from further attacking.

Justifying more violence than what seems needed is not reasonable IMHO.

She felt threatened, sure, the degree of this feeling was misplaced ( not because the guy wasnt assaulting her, but because the threat has stopped. The threat does no longer exist as long as she remains focused on him and mantains the scandal) and misused (backing away while remaining focused othe assaulter was the best use of fear for what we can see on the video. Sure,
I could be wrong, but I must judge on basis of what I can see.)

So while I justify everything she did to get out of his assault, I dont justify what she did when she already had a good control of the situation.

I dont think anyone else should justify it either.

I dont believe in revenge. I think its a bad perspective. (I know that last part adresses only part of why you think it was justifiable)

Me Myself

Back to my username
And I do believe we should all get a good moral high ground.

This doesnt mean beating anyone who is not perfect to pulp. Just having a good high ideal for what is desirable.

I often fall short of my morals, but lowering the bar is not a good approach to becoming better.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..

This doesnt mean beating anyone who is not perfect to pulp. Just having a good high ideal for what is desirable.

I often fall short of my morals, but lowering the bar is not a good approach to becoming better.

He wasn't "beaten to a pulp" .He was smacked good well and hard by a woman with an umbrella.

I.S.L.A.M617

Illuminatus

The moral high ground is the breeding ground for pretentious snobbery... If some pervert feels you up on a bus, he definitely deserves physical pain as a lesson not to do it again.

Me Myself

Back to my username
He wasn't "beaten to a pulp" .He was smacked good well and hard by a woman with an umbrella.

Oh I wasnt talking literally when I said that :D

I meant that just because you have high moral standards doesnt mean you think little of those who dont follow up.

It was a general statement, not one directly about the situation.

I mean that while there was a better way to handle the situation morally, most of us do things we shouldnt have done here and there.

Me Myself

Back to my username
The moral high ground is the breeding ground for pretentious snobbery... If some pervert feels you up on a bus, he definitely deserves physical pain as a lesson not to do it again.

You believe killing someone's friend because that person killed your friend is okay, and that such a death would be glorious to you.

Quite honestly, I don't care what you think about it after that :shrug:

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I dont feel sad for the attacker. I feel sad for the attitude that can lead to real problems, but more than sad, I feel wary of it.

I know, i specifically said that i realize you don't feel sad for him.

The video does not show anything that might lead us to think it was reasonable for her to leave the safest side so she could be closer to the assaulter, that was clearly refraining from further attacking.

Yes, man, not the video. Its facts form real life that does. Facts surrounding sexual harassment in certain cultures, gang rapes and how rampant such things are. Facts that you amazingly insist to ignore.

Justifying more violence than what seems needed is not reasonable IMHO.

She felt threatened, sure, the degree of this feeling was misplaced ( not because the guy wasnt assaulting her, but because the threat has stopped. The threat does no longer exist as long as she remains focused on him and mantains the scandal) and misused (backing away while remaining focused othe assaulter was the best use of fear for what we can see on the video. Sure,
I could be wrong, but I must judge on basis of what I can see.)

Yes, but you must also judge based on relevant facts. Otherwise you're exercising poor and unfair judgement, needlessly.

So while I justify everything she did to get out of his assault, I dont justify what she did when she already had a good control of the situation.

I dont think anyone else should justify it either.

The only way we could stop justifying her actions is by ignoring everything else we know about these real and disturbing issues that women have to face in many cultures.

I dont believe in revenge. I think its a bad perspective. (I know that last part adresses only part of why you think it was justifiable)

That's fine, and trust me, even though this viewpoint really angers me (which is my own fault), i can still see it in a way as noble. I understand what i think is the motive behind it.

But you don't need to allow for the concept of revenge in order to justify the woman's actions. Other explanations have been offered, which you continue to ignore.

I.S.L.A.M617

Illuminatus
You believe killing someone's friend because that person killed your friend is okay, and that such a death would be glorious to you.

Quite honestly, I don't care what you think about it after that :shrug:

You can reach out to all the creepy perverts you want to, just don't expect me to join you in singing "Kumbayah" with them...

Me Myself

Back to my username
I know, i specifically said that i realize you don't feel sad for him.

Yes, man, not the video. Its facts form real life that does. Facts surrounding sexual harassment in certain cultures, gang rapes and how rampant such things are. Facts that you amazingly insist to ignore.

Yes, but you must also judge based on relevant facts. Otherwise you're exercising poor and unfair judgement, needlessly.

The only way we could stop justifying her actions is by ignoring everything else we know about these real and disturbing issues that women have to face in many cultures.

That's fine, and trust me, even though this viewpoint really angers me (which is my own fault), i can still see it in a way as noble. I understand what i think is the motive behind it.

But you don't need to allow for the concept of revenge in order to justify the woman's actions. Other explanations have been offered, which you continue to ignore.

I was clarifying, I thought I read from you something like "and IF you are not sad from him" or some other thing that I read as if you were not sure ony stance regarding it. So, was just making clear, sorry if I read wrong.

I dont ignore this. I am going to assume its true, I havent looked into it.

I just dont understand how this changes this specifically. I can see how it can make her more afraid, that I can see.

What I dont see is in what way does that make any difference in her having been physically able (for as much as we can see in the video) to go back while mantaining her guard and continuing her uproar. Thus, she keeps the scandal and keeps her stance against her issue. She keeps herself protected by looking at the assaulter as she backs away and keeping the umbrella up, ready to smack at any approach from him.