• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst film of all time?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Napoleon Dynamite. Actually, there are a lot of films that I have seen where I've said "I paid money to come and see this flick?" They were so bad that I don't even remember the names of them. Luckily, I didn't pay to see Napoleon Dynamite, a friend of my daughter's gave it to her.

(Star Wars VI (A New Hope)is one of my favorite films, I'd thought I'd let you know that I am not offended that you hated it, Titanic 13, ;) )

Don't diss Napoleon Dynamite. :slap:

He's my role model.

[youtube]BiAwpYIkRmU[/youtube]
NAPOLEON DYNAMITE Dance Scene Jon Heder - YouTube

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I've never understood all the hatin' on Waterworld. I enjoyed it. Well, most of it anyway. It's like they ran out of steam at the end and just decided they needed big explosions. But I don't think it was the worst or stupidest of all time.

IIRC, they went way over-budget on the movie to begin with, and then a hurricane sank the original set, so they had to rebuild it from scratch. Then the EPA ordered them to recover the sunken set (it had ended up in an environmentally sensitive area, IIRC), which not destroyed the budget but completely used up any sources of money they had available.

Titanic

There is a place in Hell for people like you.
And Adam Sandler provides the entertainment.
(I'll be in a different theater in Hell.)

I got to admit that was funny. I like Adam Sandler in some movie's. Most people do not know that Woody Allen is not his real name.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
Worst film of all time has to be Avatar. An absolutely awful film.
Or anything Angelina Jolie has been in, awful acting followed by an unappealing sense beauty definitely puts her up there.

Me Myself

Back to my username
Crash.
I actually had to close my eyes for extended periods because the script was so very very bad.

The Paul Haggis movie.....not the Cronenberg one.

What?! I thought it was amazing! :eek:

I was pleasently surprised that was the movie I was forced to see by my comunication teacher too.

What could be worse than Twilight?

Madhuri...

* kneels*

This box is a promise. Empty but soon to be filled with a ring you will pay, with three salaries of your current job whatever it is. It is also a promise.

A promise of me being a darling house husband while you pay for my food.

If you acept.

:D

(Okay I admit it, I have never watched twilight.... Then again, I want to (eventually) have children, and my balls remaining active is a must for that)

It's sequels. :D

Now this is awkward. :flirt:

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
Angelina Jolie look's like Steve Buscemi.

And just like that my day got so much better
smiley-laughing.gif

Kerr

(Okay I admit it, I have never watched twilight.... Then again, I want to (eventually) have children, and my balls remaining active is a must for that)
Lol, I only watched about half the first one :p. It was just so... gray.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
What?! I thought it was amazing! :eek:
I was pleasently surprised that was the movie I was forced to see by my comunication teacher too.
I've heard that some people enjoyed it. But I found the over-the-top bad behavior & completely unrealistic redemption to be a ham
fisted attempt to say "Racism is baaaaddddd!". I'd rather sit thru a dental appointment than watch such tedious & painful drivel.
For those who liked the movie, just ignore the previous sentence.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
I've heard that some people enjoyed it. But I found the over-the-top bad behavior & completely unrealistic redemption to be a ham
fisted attempt to say "Racism is baaaaddddd!". I'd rather sit thru a dental appointment than watch such tedious & painful drivel.
For those who liked the movie, just ignore the previous sentence.

I felt that "Crash" wasn't one of the worst films ever made, even though there was literally no subtlety to the script, plot, or setting (of course a film exposing the prevalence of racism has to be set in Los Angeles :D). But given the quality of acting, scriptwriting, cinematography, editing, and soundtrack, I'd rate it as solid in terms of the artwork itself but grating to people's personal aesthetics when they're looking for a film that isn't so in-your-face.

A good parallel, for me personally, is "The Passion of the Christ" by Mel Gibson. I have to tip my cap to him for the crafting of the film, but it was a movie that was personally wrong for me in so many places with bad caricatures and with it's focus on torture. Box-office success often speaks volumes about what the general public is drawn to, even though the film itself might seriously offend an audience member or two.

I couldn't stand Gibson's "Passion", and thought that anybody who thinks anything good about that movie was delusional and with a screw loose. It personally ranked up there for me as bad as all the films MST3K dissed, but with a bunch of audience members crying and sobbing and talking about how great it is. I went to the theatre HOPING that it was good, and not only was I disappointed, I was shocked that anybody in their right mind would think ANYTHING good about it.

And yet, I have to put my own aesthetics aside and recognize that as far as the art and the craft goes, personal taste does not define quality of the work. This thread is a great example of how easy it is for people to confuse their own taste with what defines artistic merit. It doesn't and never has.

Here's another example: a couple guys who worked at a video store years ago (back in the dinosaur days before RedBox and Netflix) were always gleefully and harshly dissing every single movie that was ever brought up as the absolute worst movie ever made. From "Sideways" to "Lord of the Rings" to "Taxi Driver" to "Gone with the Wind" to (insert any Oscar nominee or winner here)...they were brutal in their criticism, and it didn't matter what other people thought of those movies. They tended to take what amounted to personal taste and minor critiques of craftwork and blew them all to epic proportions of "horrible" and "worst ever".

It became clear to me that they just didn't like anything mass-produced after engaging in conversation with them. That's fine. Criticize the industry. I understand. But let's be honest about what qualifies as an actual critique and not simply sharing one's boundaries of personal taste.

And they worked at a video store no less, which blew my mind, and were vocal about their opinions at the check out counter in front of dozens of customers. I was amazed how long they kept their jobs. :D lol

I dunno. Maybe we ought to truly define the point of this thread. Is this "worst film of all time" in terms of actual craft and artistic merit? Or is this an opportunity to discuss what people's personal aesthetics are in terms of what is repulsive to them? Because, honestly, I've met PLENTY of people who adamantly pronounce "Titanic" as the absolute worst piece of filth they've ever seen on a screen. ;)