• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would anyone here really want to live under a theocracy?

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Meh, prophecy based on past experience isn't impressive to me.
However, the pattern to me is impressive because in the past God used the political/military to carry out His will/His purpose.
God used the political/military against the unfaithful by the use of the Babylonian forces.
God used the political/military in the year 70 against the unfaithful in Jerusalem by the use of the Roman armies.
So, there is No reason to doubt that God will again use the political/military as His arm of the law against corrupted religion.

danieldemol

Premium Member
However, the pattern to me is impressive because in the past God used the political/military to carry out His will/His purpose.
God used the political/military against the unfaithful by the use of the Babylonian forces.
God used the political/military in the year 70 against the unfaithful in Jerusalem by the use of the Roman armies.
So, there is No reason to doubt that God will again use the political/military as His arm of the law against corrupted religion.
I dont believe that God intervened at all.
Nor do I believe that in any of these cases the soldiers distinguished between faithful/non faithful.

The same is true of communism too, I've not heard of the communists saying, "stop. God ordered us not to arrest this faithful Jehovah's witness, we'll take this unfaithful catholic instead".

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
To add the followers of Jesus during his life and shortly after believed in an apocalyptic Christianity. and an immanent end of the world.......
If you read Luke 19:11-15 you can see that Jesus did Not teach an immanent end of the world.
The work Jesus started (Luke 4:43) would be greatly expanded to a global or international scale - Matthew 24:14; Acts 1:8

Yes, shortly after Jesus' life the apostasy set in - Acts 20:28-29
Apostasy is why we see so many factions in today's religious world.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
I dont believe that God intervened at all.
Nor do I believe that in any of these cases the soldiers distinguished between faithful/non faithful.
The same is true of communism too, I've not heard of the communists saying, "stop. God ordered us not to arrest this faithful Jehovah's witness, we'll take this unfaithful catholic instead".
Of course none of the soldiers distinguished between faithful and unfaithful.
Even at Jesus' execution Jesus wanted forgiveness for the soldiers because they did Not distinguish that Jesus was the Son of God.
Right, Russia does Not say, " stop, God ordered us not to arrest this faithful Jehovah's Witness...... " ----- www.jw.org
Rather, Russia is more like a biblical modern-day ' King of the North ' .

ppp

Before the ' Age of Enlightenment ' we have the ' Age of the OT Enlightenment ' as found at 2nd Chronicles 26:16-21.
The 'separation of church and state'. The kings (political) were Not to interfere with the religious and vice versa.
Yes, may loose by the Domination of the extreme X-ian right.
Once the political surprisingly turns on the religious world that is what will prove to be the precursor to the coming great tribulation as found at Revelation 7:14
C'mon. Uzziah was given leprosy by God because he didn't stick to the role assigned to him by church tradition and church practice. That is the most subjugation of the State to the Church passage that you could have chosen. Subjugation is not separation.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
C'mon. Uzziah was given leprosy by God because he didn't stick to the role assigned to him by church tradition and church practice. That is the most subjugation of the State to the Church passage that you could have chosen. Subjugation is not separation.
Role as assigned for a king (political). Seems as if Uzziah's successes went to his head, so to speak, to the point that as a King invades the holy compartment meant only for the priest. As a king he had No business to rage against the priestly duties.
Priests (religious) had the God-assigned role of burning incense Not the king (political)

ppp

Role as assigned for a king (political). Seems as if Uzziah's successes went to his head, so to speak, to the point that as a King invades the holy compartment meant only for the priest. As a king he had No business to rage against the priestly duties.
Priests (religious) had the God-assigned role of burning incense Not the king (political)
Simply having a political role is not a separation of church and state.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
This is the second time that you have tried to get me to account for a position that I do not have, and more to the point, have not expressed.
Sorry I misunderstood you.
Please explain why you would make the following reply to a post discussing the government of ancient Israel:
"Simply having a political role is not a separation of church and state."
Clearly, I have missed something here.

Last edited:

ppp

Sorry I misunderstood you.
Please explain why you would make the following reply to a post discussing the government of ancient Israel:
"Simply having a political role is not a separation of church and state."
Clearly, I have missed something here.
I'm sorry. But I am no longer assuming good faith on your part. I shan't take offense, should you take offense. Assuming that you read my short 4 post exchange with @URAVIP2ME, I do not see what needs explaining.

I will leave it to you to do the legwork. Or not.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Before the ' Age of Enlightenment ' we have the ' Age of the OT Enlightenment ' as found at 2nd Chronicles 26:16-21.
The 'separation of church and state'. The kings (political) were Not to interfere with the religious and vice versa.
Yes, may loose by the Domination of the extreme X-ian right.
Once the political surprisingly turns on the religious world that is what will prove to be the precursor to the coming great tribulation as found at Revelation 7:14
I do not believe this is relevant. The Christian concepts of Theocracy and Theonomy are based on the New Testament.

To add: This is highly questionable that it represents separation of church and state. In ancient Israel Judaism was the state religion and law.

The supposed great tribulation was predicted to happen for millennia and never happened and in reality will not likely ever happen.

Last edited:

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
If you read Luke 19:11-15 you can see that Jesus did Not teach an immanent end of the world.
The work Jesus started (Luke 4:43) would be greatly expanded to a global or international scale - Matthew 24:14; Acts 1:8

Yes, shortly after Jesus' life the apostasy set in - Acts 20:28-29
Apostasy is why we see so many factions in today's religious world.
I believe there are references that he did. Of course the text is often contradictory.

I will follow up with references. It is late.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Yes, 'the latter was definitely Not neutral' because after the 1st century ended is when the apostasy started as foretold at Acts 20:29-30
I go with the reality of the actual history of Christianity, and not the supposed accusation of apostasy by a minor religious interpretation. It is very easy to justify ones position by a selective reading of the text and come up with different conclusions.

Last edited:

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
This is the second time that you have tried to get me to account for a position that I do not have, and more to the point, have not expressed.
I believe it is @URAVIP2ME that advocated that the illusion that a separation of religion and state in ancient Israel.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
So much for your delusion of the separation of church and state.