• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would it Physically Impossible to Load Up Noah's Arc?

jrbogie

2 of every species on one boat would be a logistical nightmare and would take decades to scour the earth and capture, feed, cultivate the millions of species on earth. Even today, with all the resources at hand, it would be impossible to achieve without many of them dying.

an eisenhower class aircraft carrier, the largest ships ever to sail, could not fit two of every species inside.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
People are forgetting that the universe is expanding. Back then, elephants would have been about three inches high. Remember, you have to use science even when it isn't convenient for you.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
People are forgetting that the universe is expanding. Back then, elephants would have been about three inches high. Remember, you have to use science even when it isn't convenient for you.

Ah, yes, but then the Ark itself would have been only a foot by a foot and a half.:shrug:

It's a story symbolizing salvation.

This^^ is my understanding as well; it's one of the crucial bits for (some) Christians. It will be mirrored by the Rapture, where most of the world will be destroyed again. But it will not be by flood, instead by fire, so saith the rainbow.

The ark is Jesus. How many people do you think can fit in Jesus? Mmm hmm, yeah, but remember, Jesus is god. :p

P.S. I saw a tshirt a little while ago, which said "Every time you see a rainbow, god's having gay sex" and that made me giggle :D

jrbogie

where in the hell do you come up with that size for elephants "back then". which brings up another point. when was "back then"? you know, the "back then" when noah supposedly did his thing? "back then" when the universe was created? best i can figure from my former bible studies, yes i was a presbyterian for the first sixteen years of my life, the god fearing think that "back then" was about six thousand years ago. hell the wooly mamoth, from which we think the elephant descended from, dwarfed the present day elephant. are you saying elephants shrunk for a spell "back then"? and saying that a day was longer "back then" as the faithful so often do, simply will not do. precisely how long was a day "back then"? i know what science say's a day looked like "back then" six thousand years ago. the bible states numbers of years that folks like noah lived, hundreds if i'm not mistaken, and numbers of days that god created the universe. but since you want to use science, what is the measure, the weight if you will, the duration of days, weeks and years "back then"? hmmmmmm?

you're right. we have to use science even when it isn't convenient. so go ahead. use science to support this "hypothoses" called noah's ark.

oh yeah, nearly forgot. astrophysicists are split on whether the universe is expanding or retracting.

Last edited:

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
where in the hell do you come up with that size for elephants "back then". which brings up another point. when was "back then"? you know, the "back then" when noah supposedly did his thing? "back then" when the universe was created? best i can figure from my former bible studies, yes i was a presbyterian for the first sixteen years of my life, the god fearing think that "back then" was about six thousand years ago. hell the wooly mamoth, from which we think the elephant descended from, dwarfed the present day elephant. are you saying elephants shrunk for a spell "back then"? and saying that a day was longer "back then" as the faithful so often do, simply will not do. precisely how long was a day "back then"? i know what science say's a day looked like "back then" six thousand years ago. the bible states numbers of years that folks like noah lived, hundreds if i'm not mistaken, and numbers of days that god created the universe. but since you want to use science, what is the measure, the weight if you will, the duration of days, weeks and years "back then"? hmmmmmm?

you're right. we have to use science even when it isn't convenient. so go ahead. use science to support this "hypothoses" called noah's ark.

oh yeah, nearly forgot. astrophysicists are split on whether the universe is expanding or retracting.

You don't have much of a sense of humor, do you? Must be an agnostic thing - not knowing humor when you see it.

J Bryson

Jeez, I'm a theist, and even I laughed at that one. Of course, I'm not exactly Christian, but still....

D111

D111
Do you really believe that one man gathered up two of each species of animal and placed them on a boat? This boat would have had to be remarkably enormous, and how would he have gotten all of these wild animals to just follow him? This is definitely an exaggerated story, like many others in the bible!

Tristesse

Then understand that it's physical possiblity is not really relevant to the story. That man and animals were saved from a flood that destroyed the world is what is significant. It's a story symbolizing salvation.

It's a horrific story of "salvation" when you think that every other creature on earth was destroyed, including men, women and children. "god" is the biggest mass genocidal maniac in history.

J Bryson

No ... technically that would make god a he and a she

"So, Mommy," a child asks his mother upon exiting Sunday School. "Is God a man or a woman?"

The family is relatively liberal in their religious and political beliefs, so his mother answers "Well...God's a man and a woman!"

"Oh!" the child responds. "Well, is God black or white?"

"God's sort of black and white" the mother responds, feeling more comfortable.

"Okay," the child says. He thinks, then tentatively asks "So is God gay or straight?"

"Well," the mother responds hesitantly. "God's sort of gay and straight"

"Oh," the child says, and thinks deeply for a minute. His face suddenly lights up.

"Mom," he says excitedly. "Is God Michael Jackson?"

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
Yes good point. How could he guarantee they would all mate?

I've also heard many times that he boarded all the dinosaurs, however they were all babies so they'd have no trouble fitting them on the boat. He must have been excellent at nursing dinosaur babies, as I personally have not been successful at that.

That's hilarious I have never heard that dinosaurs were on the ark. Its definitely not mentioned in the bible. History channel has a great documentary on the ark that might answer some of your questions. Usually their religious documentaries are crap, but this one has some valid points. I suggest you TiVo it or something.

That's hilarious I have never heard that dinosaurs were on the ark. Its definitely not mentioned in the bible. History channel has a great documentary on the ark that might answer some of your questions. Usually their religious documentaries are crap, but this one has some valid points. I suggest you TiVo it or something.

You need to rein in your fundie brothers then, methinks ;) Aah, Ken Ham.

Creationist museum brings dinosaurs on board Noah’s Ark - Times Online
Dinosaurs on the Ark: the Creation Museum

gnomon

Does the story of the Ark show that God made some false assumptions upon his own creation?

If so does that mean the Christian concept of God varies from the Judaic concept? Given that most Christian groups view God as an omnimax while my opinion is that Judaism holds no such view.